• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Roleplaying Tavern - Stop by for a pint!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chromatic

Become
Awards
It goes without saying that people will often gravitate to where they're comfortable. Though I must say that you always did have a good knack for giving those familiar things a spark of originality, Omni.

I think, as far as creating an RP, creativity can be fostered (to some extent) with something simple and free-form.

EDIT: And as I recall, some of the longer-lived, and successful RPs on this site WHERE based on more popular canons, AND had plenty of creativity.

Last edited:

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I think the problem with the rp section is as Jezza said: boring and uncreative rps take majority when compared to the few that are detailed, panned-out, and putting it bluntly, better in every sense of the word. Of course the quality of the rp section and its rpers has somewhat withered away in the last three years.

I don't know. I just see about two rps every few months that are good, but just die out. *shrugs*

Chromatic

Become
Awards
That can be attributed to the fact that there aren't as many veteran players around pushing the rest of the herd. A lot of the folks that really pushed are just about gone these days.

Now I think I've got my two cents cashed right, so here it goes...

Those great RPers that used to kick around here weren't always above being involved with the "less creative" and "inexperienced" RPs and RPers. I believe it was quite often that the inexperienced noobs and the experienced vets and the dominant powerhouses came together. I don't think that the subject matter of this talk will "come to us." But I'd wager that if we go to them, we'd be in a better place as far as taking the steps forward.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I think to directly attribute the activity or quality of the section to 'veterans' isn't wholly accurate. True, there were loads of veterans around when the section was experiencing its 'golden age', but the whole picture is a little less simple. Veterans had the right combination of two things:
1 - They had the skill (and possibly the ego) to push ahead with things out of the ordinary for the section at the time.
2 - They were seen by others as authority figures, and as such others would acquiesce to these pushes when they might not do so with anyone else.

At least in the golden ages, we can competently say those we would call veterans had both of these qualities in sufficient amounts. Currently there are a few members who might lack the second feature, but have the former in spades, but because of that disparity don't really have their work noticed as much as it might deserve. Unfortunately, getting a good roleplay going relies on the premise being good and usually having a name attached to it that would get it some extra attention.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
That's pretty much the point I was getting at. The fact the such "veterans" were present and active in the community blossomed a more active, and (ultimately) more interesting group of RPers. Even in what could be defined as the "middle echelons" of the membership, there was still a drive to do things that were different. And (at least some of) the people that had been around for a while were at least willing to engage in projects that may have been below their level; the leaders, as they were, clearly became so by being, more or less, a part of the activity, rather than trying to only stand out from it.

I suppose what I'm really suggesting is that rather than showing people the mountain and saying "climb," it might be more effective to reach down, and pull up those who would seek to climb higher. If that analogy works for ya'll.

Endless Strategy

That was one of the reasons behind the Character of the Week, to draw people out of their comfort zone with promises of prizes and have them stretch their creativity a bit, but thus far, it seems that only "vets" have submitted anything in. Suffice to say, I'm a little disappointed that I haven't seen any fresh faces sending me characters.

I doubt I still qualify as a fresh face, but I'll try to submit something in the coming weeks. I should have been more attentive though, I could have done something with Iron.

Awards
There's something that's been bugging me for a little while.

NO GOD-MODDING
You have your own character/s so you can influence the events of a roleplay, there should be no need to overstep the rather large bounds of influence you already can exercise. Taking control of characters and events relating or belonging to other people is likely to annoy them, and you wouldn't want the same done to you, so avoid it.

NO POWER-PLAYING
You have the right to your character, but you remove the fun for yourself and others when you decide to also remove the possible challenge and growth that makes roleplaying a great thing. Resist the urge to be infallible, otherwise others will quickly get fed up of your style and cease to enjoy at least part of their roleplaying.

Are the descriptions to these switched or am I misinterpreting them?

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
They are.

I thought they were corrected back when the issue was first brought up at the time of the thread's posting.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I had switched them to what they are now because people were previously complaining that they were switched.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Well, I'm not sure who was complaining, but they were most certainly, undeniably, wrong.

God-modding is the act of creating "godly", unstoppable characters.
Power-playing is the act of controlling characters other than your own.

And should anyone start complaining about it, feel free to send them my way and I'll set them straight.

Last edited:

ThePromise

Tired
Awards
Aww, did someone try to make a funny?

How adorable.

K.

I haven't been active in the main-roleplaying section, I want to know; was the interviewing program discontinued due to lack of interest or was it generally decided that it suddenly was not worth the effort? I thought it was a pretty cool feature, but I just want to know.

Last edited:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
I'm honestly unsure what happened with the interviews.

While Jezza ran the original interviews, they seemed to have good feedback at first, but for some reason--perhaps school or some other thing that required his attention--he just sort of stopped. Never asked him, so I haven't a clue as to why the original run stopped.

Earlier this year, Professor Ven revived the interviews and took over for Jezza. He interviewed me and then, out of nowhere, stopped. Again, no idea as to why.

Anyway, I completely agree. The interviews were nice and were an excellent way for members to get to know the people behind the names, as it were.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I'm honestly unsure what happened with the interviews.

While Jezza ran the original interviews, they seemed to have good feedback at first, but for some reason--perhaps school or some other thing that required his attention--he just sort of stopped. Never asked him, so I haven't a clue as to why the original run stopped.

Earlier this year, Professor Ven revived the interviews and took over for Jezza. He interviewed me and then, out of nowhere, stopped. Again, no idea as to why.

Anyway, I completely agree. The interviews were nice and were an excellent way for members to get to know the people behind the names, as it were.

Me just got busy with school and life and work and everything else. Have plans for another interview, just tiddlywinking some things together. o3o

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
A combination of things for me. I can say I was probably busy when I dropped off the original interviews, plus getting the conversations organised on a formatting level was cumbersome. I'm starting a new job soon so provided I've got time I wouldn't mind getting back into some interviewing.

Kiburedo

Well, I guess now I should introduce myself to the fellow RPers. I noticed the RP section has been in somewhat of a slump lately, and I want to help do whatever I can to bring it back.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Welcome, Kiburedo.

The Roleplaying section has been in a bad way for quite a while, I'm afraid. But we're aiming to rectify it's current condition now, so keep your fingers crossed.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
SHAMELESS PROMOTION AHOY

This roleplay has the potential to be very fun, everybody. New/Canon roleplayers, please take a look at it; I guarantee that joining will be worth the while.

Back