Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 191 of 191 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191
Results 2,851 to 2,856 of 2856

Thread: Harry Potter

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Final Fantasy XV (Paucket Edition) :Y

Default Re: Harry Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    That said, I'd take a stale adaptation over an unfaithful adaptation any day.
    Why? It can't be good and unfaithful?

I find it odd that a lot of folks insist on just watching the same exact thing as they've read, that there can't otherwise be enjoyment from a retelling.

Registered
    Nov 2012
    None

Not to me, no. If I'm watching to see HP and it isn't going to tell the story of HP, then why even make it? That's like putting together a new version of a Stephen Sondheim musical and cutting the music out.

Registered
    Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    Not to me, no.
    That's not true. You love The Little Mermaid and it's nothing like the author originally intended, yet it's a magical, fun film.

If I'm watching to see HP and it isn't going to tell the story of HP, then why even make it?
    Because it's telling you everything your imagination already knew, in a condensed form. A retelling isn't not a telling / loving adaptation, it's just not a stringently verbatim across mediums.

Registered
    Nov 2012
    None

"The Little Mermaid" is a fairy tale, not a convoluted series of novels where cutting out details not only harms the storytelling of the other films in the series, but many of the themes that stretch across the larger framework of the series. The OotP film is honestly tragic in how much of a disgrace it is to the book, jmo.

Registered
    Oct 2011

So? It's either faithful or it's not. Harry Potter is still one whole story, regardless of the number of bindings between it's pages.

Fandoms can be interesting where they decide to draw the line, and so I'm always curious to understand why. It's pretty typical for fans of one medium (books, games, TV series, etc) to be, more often than not, disgruntled that their expectation of celluloid taking a literal 1:1 transfer didn't come to fruition, as if there's not any creative liberties that should be left to the director, writers, actors, special effects team, even the original creator in some cases - whole swaths of unique, individual artists themselves, to get people interested in reading the books, to pay homage to the book, not to be a clone of the book.

Registered
    Jan 2017
    None

I saw The Crimes of Grindelwald on monday and thought it was fun. However it's not as good as the first and a muddled mess at times. Hopefully the next entry picks up the slack.