• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

General ► This is a sad day for both Dragon Ball anime fans and old skool RPG fans. (Death of Akria Toriyama.)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Story from the official DB site here.

All I can say is we lost one of the all time greats. I'm not much of a DB or DBZ fan myself but I felt I needed to say something. I'm more of a Chrono Trigger/Dragon Warrior fan, so..

81bd45a44d97d0c44936e7ca65b702ec.jpg

A slime draws near. Command? RIP Akira Toriyama 1955-2024 .

Feel free to talk about your feelings about this here..It took a while for us English fans to find out since he died on the first. Also mods, if this is in the wrong forum, sorry! Please move it to the correct one.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
This is such a devastating loss. He made such a colossal impact on the world of media. His influence and legacy have touched everyone whether they realize it or not. I don’t think KH as we know it would even exist if it wasn’t for him.

Dragon Ball Z was easily my favorite show as a kid. I wasn’t allowed to watch it though for… reasons. But I remember my sister and I sneaking behind my mom’s back to watch it anyways because we loved it so much. And subsequently getting in trouble when we got caught. 😅 It was 100% worth it though and I’d do it all over again.

Dragon Quest came into my life more recently in the past few years, but it has made a tremendous impact on me as well. (Hence my username.) While there’s so much to love about the series, his art and designs are what really elevate it to be something so special and unique.

It will not be the same without him, but I hope that others will continue to respectfully carry on his legacy.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
This is crushing. He's been a formative part of so many people from my.generation. Wasn't even that old.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
I can't tell you how influential he was in so many of my friendships formed both online and off as a long-time fan of his work. If Eiichiro Oda is a modern day Homer then Toriyama was Plato.

It genuinely...feels so surreal, I extended my deepest condolences to his family and peers, what an absolute legend.

2 quid is good

Awards
Just some really sad news.... doesn't even feel like a good age to go either. The man's made a true legacy.

Smithee

Awards
"Same things make us laugh, make us cry."
- Big Smoke (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas)

😟

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
The news of Toriyama's death has been hard ever since I found out. I woke up to the news last week and it was incredibly hard to go to work that day.

This didn't feel like a celebrity death, even though in many circles Toriyama absolutely was a celebrity he just never felt like that to me. I grew up with his stories. I remember coming home from school everyday and watching Dragon Ball and DBZ on Toonami. I remember the best day of every month being the day my Monthly Shonen Jump came in the mail, and I got new Dragon Ball chapters. I had so many Dragon Ball toys all over my floor. I remember staying up late with the TV turned down low playing Chrono Trigger, much past my 1 hour gaming time limit for the day and way past my bedtime, praying my Mom didn't come into my room. Even as an adult, I just introduced one of my children to Dragon Ball and we've been watching it every weekend for a month or so, and to this day I still find myself immersed in Dragon Quest games, replaying Chrono Trigger, or playing any amount of old and new Dragon Ball games.

I remember reading Sand Land in Shonen Jump and absolutely loving it, I think it was my first non-Dragon Ball piece of Toriyama's work. Just this past month I read it all again in anticipation of the new anime and game coming out, which seems like a fever dream.

Toriyama wasn't just some famous guy. He's been there my whole life, writing me stories and filling my games and hobbies with beautiful, unique, vivid works of art. He's always been there, and it really hurts knowing he's gone now. It happens to everyone, that's how life goes, but we're just never really ready to say goodbye.

Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama. You shaped my childhood and the childhood of so many other children, and you will for years to come.

Back