Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    KHI Site Staff Oracle Spockanort's Avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Default Kingdom Hearts 3 novel series by Tomoco Kanemaki releasing March 2019!

Square Enix has announced that Kingdom Hearts 3 will receive a novel adaption by Tomoco Kanemaki with illustrations by Shiro Amano. The first volume "Re:Start!!" will cost 800 Yen and is set to release March 28th, 2019.

It's not something you can simply teach
    The desire to save your friends???that alone is enough

"But first, you must regain all the strength you have lost."

Sora has lost much of the strength he had gained when he traveled into the Sleeping Worlds for the Mark of Master Exam. The great wizard Yen Sid tasks Sora to go on a journey to perfect the Power of Waking. In order to stop Xehanort's grand scheme, Sora, Donald and Goofy's new journey begins! The conclusion of the Dark Seeker Saga, the first part of KINGDOM HEARTS III begins here!

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts 3 and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Registered
    Jan 2013

Default Re: Kingdom Hearts 3 novel series by Tomoco Kanemaki releasing March 2019!

Think the novel adaptation will cover things the game likely won't have time too? Such as Kairi and Lea's training with Merlin?

Registered
    Jul 2008
    Default Re: Kingdom Hearts 3 novel series by Tomoco Kanemaki releasing March 2019!

KH's anniversary, Sora's birthday...We are so blessed <3

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh View Post
    Think the novel adaptation will cover things the game likely won't have time too? Such as Kairi and Lea's training with Merlin?
    I guess we'll have to wait and see. I would hope so because that was what Kanemaki did in KH2. She expanded on what Riku, Namine, and Axel were doing during the game.

Registered
    Mar 2013

When do we get to shift into the timeline where Amano kept going with the manga

The novels aren't nearly as good, frankly

Registered
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Spockanort View Post
    KH's anniversary, Sora's birthday...We are so blessed <3

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I would hope so because that was what Kanemaki did in KH2. She expanded on what Riku, Namine, and Axel were doing during the game.
    Hopefully the KH3 novels get the same additional content as the KH2 ones. In addition to Kairi's training I wouldnt mind more expansion on Xehanort and Eraqus' childhood :)

Registered
    May 2017
    Horrible Sleep Cycles & and Real Life Struggles (on repeat)

Wha- already?! Wow, that's actually got me pretty excited.^^ Maybe the novel can touch on some things the game didn't get the chance too. Not that it means much since everyone would just say "oh, it's not cannon so nothing in it really matters." Still looking forward to it though. It's always a treat to hear some of the characters inner thoughts.

Poutymer in da house Sephiroth0812's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2010
    Dissidia NT, KH 2.5 HD Birth by Sleep FM

Quote Originally Posted by The_Echo View Post
    When do we get to shift into the timeline where Amano kept going with the manga

The novels aren't nearly as good, frankly
    Lol wat?

The novels blow both the manga and the games themselves out of the water because they actually do proper characterisation and character interaction.

The manga is just a non-canon silly comedy fest.
    Funny to be sure, but can't be taken seriously.

Registered
    Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth0812 View Post
    Lol wat?

The novels blow both the manga and the games themselves out of the water because they actually do proper characterisation and character interaction.
    Well I haven't read them all, but so far it just feels like a retread of the game plot but with extra melodrama
    As if there isn't enough in the source material

I mean, the novels aren't canon either
    The manga's more fun and, for me anyway, more accurate to the feeling of Kingdom Hearts

Registered
    Jul 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh View Post
    Hopefully the KH3 novels get the same additional content as the KH2 ones. In addition to Kairi's training I wouldnt mind more expansion on Xehanort and Eraqus' childhood :)
    Xehanort-Eraqus stuff is all I want. Honestly I would just want a whole novel on Xehanort, but I don't hope for things anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Lumiair View Post
    Wha- already?! Wow, that's actually got me pretty excited.^^ Maybe the novel can touch on some things the game didn't get the chance too. Not that it means much since everyone would just say "oh, it's not cannon so nothing in it really matters." Still looking forward to it though. It's always a treat to hear some of the characters inner thoughts.
    They are canon to us, Twilight. ;~;

Lol wat?

Agreed on the novel thing. I love the manga, though.

Well I haven't read them all, but so far it just feels like a retread of the game plot but with extra melodrama
    I think everybody is going to view the novels differently. I personally like the extra info in Reverse/Rebirth that helps to show just how diddlyed up Repliku was because of how Namine cobbled his memories together. Kanemaki took an interesting narrative direction with presenting it.

Also I liked all of the additions in the KH2 novel. It wasn't melodramatic and instead made the game feel less barebones and like everything plot-relevant was shoved at the beginning and ending of the game.

The manga's more fun and, for me anyway, more accurate to the feeling of Kingdom Hearts
    They aren't canon in the traditional sense. The games will always trump any secondary sources, but the novels are meant to be there to serve as an expansion on the game's canon. If a fact is contradicted by the games, then that makes that non-canon. If it isn't contradicted by the games, it can be accepted as canon.

It's like any cross-media content from any franchise out there.
    Last edited by Oracle Spockanort; January 10, 2019 at 05:49 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2005

Cool, can’t wait.

No offense but, this is doing the KH2 and 358/2 manga’s a disservice. I actually prefer parts of the manga over how they are presented In the games.

Poutymer in da house Sephiroth0812's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2010
    Dissidia NT, KH 2.5 HD Birth by Sleep FM

The novels portray most of the characters way better and you also understand their motivations and thought lines much better. That's not just "melodrama".

True, they aren't primary canon and if a part is explicitly contradicted by one of the games it is non-canon all the same, yet the novels are more close to canon than the manga will ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Spockanort View Post
    Agreed on the novel thing. I love the manga, though.

I think everybody is going to view the novels differently. I personally like the extra info in Reverse/Rebirth that helps to show just how diddlyed up Repliku was because of how Namine cobbled his memories together. Kanemaki took an interesting narrative direction with presenting it.

Also I liked all of the additions in the KH2 novel. It wasn't melodramatic and instead made the game feel less barebones and like everything plot-relevant was shoved at the beginning and ending of the game.

They aren't canon in the traditional sense. The games will always trump any secondary sources, but the novels are meant to be there to serve as an expansion on the game's canon. If a fact is contradicted by the games, then that makes that non-canon. If it isn't contradicted by the games, it can be accepted as canon.

It's like any cross-media content from any franchise out there.
    I love the manga too, but with a different premise and completely detached from the main storyline presented in the games.

I recently finished the KH 2 novel and man does it more justice to other characters like Riku, Naminé, Roxas and even Xemnas. Not like the game where everything is hidden behind the scenes and you're stuck watching Sora, Donald and Goofy doing nonsense by repeating Disney movies scene for scene without any value to the actual narrative.

I got the 358/2 Days one recently, just need time to actually start reading it.

Yep, and the novel author actually gets sometimes background info directly from Nomura if I recall correctly. The manga doesn't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by rokudamia2 View Post
    No offense but, this is doing the KH2 and 358/2 manga’s a disservice. I actually prefer parts of the manga over how they are presented In the games.
    None taken.
    Of course the manga also has some serious scenes thrown in and I am not actually disliking the manga.
    I have all volumes that exist and I enjoy reading it, I just can't connect it directly with either the games or the novels since there's stuff happening in it that simply doesn't fit into the overarching narrative or is too silly, like i.e. Vexen's countless replicas of himself, Riku fighting like two thirds of the Organisation alone at the same time and coming out unscathed because the members are so completely stupid they blast each other or Kairi throwing her chance to flee out of the window just because Demyx throws a whiny tantrum.

Registered
    Jan 2013

None taken.
    Of course the manga also has some serious scenes thrown in and I am not actually disliking the manga.
    I have all volumes that exist and I enjoy reading it, I just can't connect it directly with either the games or the novels since there's stuff happening in it that simply doesn't fit into the overarching narrative or is too silly, like i.e. Vexen's countless replicas of himself, Riku fighting like two thirds of the Organisation alone at the same time and coming out unscathed because the members are so completely stupid they blast each other or Kairi throwing her chance to flee out of the window just because Demyx throws a whiny tantrum.
    All of that sounds absolutely hilarious. Especially the other organization members blasting each other.

I stopped reading the manga adaptation after Coam but now I think it want to read the KH2 and 358 2 Days ones

Traitor of KHInsider.com Xickin's Avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Spider Man PS4

They haven't done Dream Drop, right? That's a crucial part that leads into III, right?

when i come to, let us meet. Audo's Avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Xickin View Post
    They haven't done Dream Drop, right? That's a crucial part that leads into III, right?

Registered
    Nov 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Xickin View Post
    Kanemaki's novel adaptations are almost entirely caught up with the games. The KH3D novels were released in 2012.

However, Yen Press's localization are quite a ways behind. The next one to be released is BBS vol. 1 (which combines the first two volumes from the Japan release) in March.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast