Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Organization Member The Dark Mamba's Avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Default Re: Anyone else irked a bit at 0.2?

Upon replaying 0.2 this week, I do think that its events do lessen the impact of blank points, which is easily my favorite scene of the whole series. The great thing about it was that we were under the impression that Aqua was alone for so long which made everything about that scene so great and it's impact so emotional. It's a fatal flaw in retrospective storytelling. I can get over with the thought in mind that they BBS first without any proper planning for 0.2.

I think it's impact on KH1 is largely minimal. I'd compare it to Rogue One in that you see the interesting behind the scenes of what happened in the series' first installment.
    Last edited by The Dark Mamba; February 17, 2017 at 04:49 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Unchained X

The smallest tweak they could have done for the ending with Riku is have Riku way further away. Heck, they could have even had him glance back, but he only saw Mickey and the ever approaching danger before he turned around and ignored it to focus on the door (and that could have very well happened but never shown. In fact, I don't think they showed Riku or the SDG trio because Sora and Riku probably don't even look right yet. Terra looked pretty iffy all the up to release)

I've already explained that it doesn't impact Blank Points very much for me. It makes it a little more touching imo, and it just goes to show how little she knows of what's going on unless the occasional person falls into the dark realm to tell her. It's like snail mail to the extreme. For all she knew, another 10 years could have passed after she met up with Mickey. Maybe she even assumed Mickey was able to find and help Terra and Ven since she told him about them a little (not where Ven was, but she did accidentally tell Terranort/Terra, and if Mickey found him/helped him, it could have lead to Ven. Many assumptions being made by me)

At this point, I'm used to retcons. I entirely expect KH3 to be FULL of them. Why? Nomura plans ahead a LITTLE, but not by much. Everything we know about KH could be rewritten in the next game. Absolute facts in the series could be diminished and replaced by new facts. It's been that way since KH2, which is why I get slightly annoyed when people say Birth by Sleep was the start of the retcons. No, it was most definitely KH2. It just compounds on itself with every new game.

Unless it's absolutely ridiculous and I feel I could have come up with something better (why Mickey lost his shirt for example), I just come up with my own explanations on why X happened and how until the game contradicts me.

Why did Aqua cry in Blank Points? Because she got her hopes up about Terra and Ven only to be shut down, but come to find out Sora who saved the worlds the first time is still going and keeping the Realm of Light safe when she can't.

Would I have preferred she not learn their names from Mickey? Definitely. In fact, I can come up with a scenario to fix that part entirely.
    Mickey only gets the chance to say "We're getting warm" and that there might be a keyblade of darkness nearby before the Demon Tide shows up and wrecks their day. They don't just find the KKD behind the door, the powerful Demon tide pushes them beyond the door and Mickey manages to grab it. Aqua and Mickey see the big ole Kingdom Hearts door in the distance and Riku running towards it. Mickey gets a little time to explain what the door is in the midst of battle before Aqua makes another sacrificial move to keep the Demon Tide distracted and out of the way of Mickey and Riku.

I mean, there was no way she, Mickey, or Riku were getting out of the door anyway. Only darkness can pass through. Her hope with Mickey was to find a way out with him but even that gets crushed. (Oh mai, can you imagine DiZ also helping Aqua out of the Dark Realm because she was with Mickey and she ends up right where she needs to be??? Castle Oblivion that is??? Man)

Registered
    Dec 2011
    Playing
    with time, as a symptom

Quote Originally Posted by gronodonthegreat View Post
    the thing with randomly finding the Kingdom Key D behind the door and just picking it up was really stupid, and the way they explained his clothes changing was kind of a cool tidbit but overall laughably handled in the story. Also, he says that, since Sora found his keyblade on the island, the dark keyblade must be on the dark part of that island... what? Is the Kingdom Key specific to Destiny Islands? Why would he come to that conclusion? Was he planning on this the whole time? Is Kingdom Key D the only dark keyblade?
    I actually enjoyed this as a nice little parallel, I thought it was one of the more natural inclinations Nomura has entertained in recent years. The way it works in my mind is that the Kingdom Key was "born" on DI when Sora "stole" it from Riku, and its dark counterpart was brought into existence at that same point in time. It was summoned to the place behind the door because that's where the heart of the world resides, shrouded in darkness-- maybe it was even born from that darkness, in much the same way as the Kingdom Key came to Sora in a burst of light. There are any number of ways Mickey might have known or intuited this, but it's firmly in line with the other information he seems to have in the first game without any explanation: including the fact that "there's a boy with a key" and the significance of the stars disappearing.

One question that has been bugging me is: did SDG enter the Realm of Darkness at the end of KH1? And if not, how did Aqua and Mickey step from the Realm of Darkness onto the same part of Destiny Islands where SDG fight Ansem SoD after passing through the door in Final Rest? I always assumed that place was a fragment of Destiny Islands which formed a part of End of the World as with many of the observable pieces of other worlds, but isn't EotW nevertheless constrained to the Realm of Light? Obviously SDG are on the Light (In Between?) side of the DtD when they are pulled into the Endless Abyss, but after passing through DI Aqua and Mickey are still in the Realm of Darkness. wat.

You may fire when ready... Absent's Avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2013
    Life on Critical Mode

The story was great until it tied to Kingdom Hearts 1. The story could've been better if Mickey never met Aqua.

Registered
    Oct 2016
    Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix

I honestly thought the storytelling in 0.2 was atrocious. Everytime Willa Holland said something I couldn't help but cringe. For me, Aqua's character was reduced to a whimsical, emo mess in 0.2. And even when Aqua encountered Terra and some proper dialogue finally ensued, it was still terrible. "Your heart is just painting the picture that it so wants to see. The real me is lost in shadow." Holy shit they couldn't sound more pathetic if they tried. I didn't mind Jason Dohring's voice acting in Birth By Sleep, but he managed to sound infinitely more mopey in 0.2.

Even the voice actors that I genuinely liked were ruined for me because of the garbage script. I really enjoyed 0.2 gameplay wise, but I honestly wish I could just forget everything that occurred plot wise.

And to top it off, I agree wholeheartedly with what NuclearCheetos15 said. It killed me inside to see Blank Points being trashed throughout every second of that game.

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Unchained X

I don't know how you expected them to be super chipper or even normal given their situation...

Keyblade Apprentice DefiantHeart's Avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    FF XIV Stormblood and Kingdom Hearts Union X.

Well, it did feel a bit forced in dialogue and actions, especially the ending. It all just seemed like a "fan fic" way of describing why Aqua is still in the realm of darkness, and why only now they need to save her... like Nomura thought up this moment last minute. Regardless though, I still liked the customization options and playing as Aqua again was refreshing. ( I just wish she could learn glide someday, lol.)

Registered
    Oct 2016

Quote Originally Posted by DefiantHeart View Post
    Well, it did feel a bit forced in dialogue and actions, especially the ending. It all just seemed like a "fan fic" way of describing why Aqua is still in the realm of darkness, and why only now they need to save her... like Nomura thought up this moment last minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirabook View Post
    I don't know how you expected them to be super chipper or even normal given their situation...
    Conceptually, 0.2 could've been amazing, but Nomura's portrayal of the game left much to be desired. I would never expect Aqua to be "super chipper" considering the situation, but I really think Nomura could've approached her character with some more stoicism. When Aqua does attempt to show courage, it just comes off as pathetic. "My heart is strong, I'll prove it." It's just such weak rhetoric in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DefiantHeart View Post
    Regardless though, I still liked the customization options and playing as Aqua again was refreshing. ( I just wish she could learn glide someday, lol.)
    I really enjoyed the next gen feel that 0.2 gave us and I really hope they keep the customization features in KH3. And yea, leaning glide would make grinding that much easier :)

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Unchained X

Some peoples criticism of her from BbS is that she was too stoic and an Ice Queen (even though she kinda is in a literal sense). He was probably listening to criticism and mixed it up a bit. I'm sure when she's out of there, her attitude will change. But I think her showing her weakness and sadness while trapped in such a place is justified and gives her a personal struggle she didn't have in BbS.

I always feel the dialogue in KH could have been better. Some of Aqua's dialog threw me off a little cause well, no ones ever mentioned some things before (cats and dogs). Aqua's 'pathetic' mention of her heart is strong fits in with what she says later. She admits her courage is dwindling and her heart isn't all that strong since darkness has found a way inside.

Registered
    Oct 2016

Ahahah yea I agree the 'cats and dogs' monologue was also pretty peculiar :') I guess at the end of the day, I just want KH3 to be amazing. Literally, all Square has to do is refine their scripts and voice acting, and I'll be satisfied. The visual and mechanical elements of 0.2 were stunning and I really hope they carry over to KH3 just as well :)

Registered
    Apr 2015

the cats and dog thing was one of the better things in 0.2 imo

Registered
    Oct 2016

Yea despite all the vocal awkwardness, that line really helped personify the world more. It's good to see that Nomura is attempting to make the worlds more wholesome, and less empty.

Registered
    May 2015
    Ocarina of Time 3D, Kingdom Hearts DDD, FF6, Persona 5

I would've been fine if they only mentioned Riku. Not Sora. Just Riku.

Traitor of KHInsider.com Xickin's Avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ, Dark Souls III

I was irked by Back Cover more than anything. 0.2 gave me some good gameplay experience (although the story had a few copouts in it).

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Games....

I had actually posted a thread a little while back about how mickey and riku left the realm of darkness just because of how convoluted travel to and from there is. I'm glad 0.2 answered why aqua didn't go with them.
    I don't think it matters how mickey lost his shirt I'm just glad they acknowledged it.
    I don't really see how 0.2 retconed anything? Especially blank points? Yes we know the dialogue has always been sappy and clunky but that's what you get when your story revolves around friendship and the heart of the cards...
    Has anyone ever tried writing monologue dialogue when it should be internal... because it is really difficult. I think a bigger plot hole is not aquas interactions with mickey but mickey Donald and goofy completely avoiding and connection between ven/ Roxas and possible connection to sora... theoretically mickey must have seen an unmasked vanitas even from a distance, but he definitely has seen vens face and even vens face resembles soras (or vice versa if you want to bring up how vens heart influenced the development of soras).
    I think aquas tear during blank points was about how there were people ACTUALLY fighting the darkness even if it wasn't terra or ven.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast