Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Default Re: Unpopular opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by ImVentus View Post
    I strongly loathed the Disney interference in the Organization conflicts. The trio looked like a bunch dimwits that could not do anything right.
    They completely destroyed chances for a deeper conflict between the OG characters. Vanitas can apparently be frightened like a toddler? And easily overpowered by a furry monster.
    And Woody. He barely know who Xehanort is and has the nerve to call him out for being unloved.
    And he said he didn't care, yet he goes on a preachy speech, wow!

Let me break it to you
    Xehanort knew about love and experienced friendship in his youth. So what point are you trying to make here Woody?
    I don't see the so-called (savage) in this, like so many other praise. Aside from the "Hollower than any toy" line. But Xehanort got exactly what he wanted in the end, so it was their loss anyways. Bet Xehanort didn't give a crap about the insults.

And Sora had some nonsense based allegory this time around, made me want stitch his lips. Do the writers have any idea how dense they make him sound. As if it wasn't obvious enough why Nomura prefers the antagonists.
    Woody's spiel didn't land right with me either, soon as I heard it.
    I have a feeling a lot of the weird narrative choices in the Disney worlds are due to Disney's increased involvement this time around.

But Yeetus Vanitas was based

Registered
    Mar 2017
    None

Quote Originally Posted by ImVentus View Post
    I strongly loathed the Disney interference in the Organization conflicts. The trio looked like a bunch dimwits that could not do anything right.
    They completely destroyed chances for a deeper conflict between the OG characters. Vanitas can apparently be frightened like a toddler? And easily overpowered by a furry monster.
    And Woody. He barely know who Xehanort is and has the nerve to call him out for being unloved.
    And he said he didn't care, yet he goes on a preachy speech, wow!

Let me break it to you
    Xehanort knew about love and experienced friendship in his youth. So what point are you trying to make here Woody?
    I don't see the so-called (savage) in this, like so many other praise. Aside from the "Hollower than any toy" line. But Xehanort got exactly what he wanted in the end, so it was their loss anyways. Bet Xehanort didn't give a crap about the insults.

And Sora had some nonsense based allegory this time around, made me want stitch his lips. Do the writers have any idea how dense they make him sound. As if it wasn't obvious enough why Nomura prefers the antagonists.
    If I may rebuttal some of your points, we don't see Vanitas "scared like a toddler"(actually we don't see his expression at all), but I can see it be reasonable that he was caught off-guard or by surprise by Sulley when he was so focused on Sora and getting Ven's heart out of him.

As for Woody and his speech, put yourself in his shoes for a sec. You're separated from most of your friends, apparently in an alternate world, the only other 'toy' around is this guy in a black hood who is kidnapping your friends, spouting out weird gibberish about darkness, and to top it all off kidnapped your best friend without a care what will happen to him. That doesn't exactly paint a friendly picture of the guy. Woody may not know him, but it's clear that, from his actions, Xehanort doesn't care about the consequences of what happens to him or his friends.

As for Sora, I think they might be utilising elements of what's called the 'Flat Character Arc' in some of the Disney worlds, while relegating his main development to the original worlds and the moments on the Gummi Ship.

Registered
    Jul 2014
    Kingdom Hearts 2

Quote Originally Posted by KudoTsurugi View Post
    If I may rebuttal some of your points, we don't see Vanitas "scared like a toddler"(actually we don't see his expression at all), but I can see it be reasonable that he was caught off-guard or by surprise by Sulley when he was so focused on Sora and getting Ven's heart out of him.

As for Woody and his speech, put yourself in his shoes for a sec. You're separated from most of your friends, apparently in an alternate world, the only other 'toy' around is this guy in a black hood who is kidnapping your friends, spouting out weird gibberish about darkness, and to top it all off kidnapped your best friend without a care what will happen to him. That doesn't exactly paint a friendly picture of the guy. Woody may not know him, but it's clear that, from his actions, Xehanort doesn't care about the consequences of what happens to him or his friends.
    It caught me off guard to see Vanitas being taken down so easily. He seemed so much more vicious in his previous appearance, like nothing would stop him. As a whole, the tension was diminished by the interference. He received the (paralyzed treatment) just like every other 7th guardian of light did.

Unfortunately, but predictably, I found no interest to worry about the toys. I didn't feel any real sense of danger and I was already thrown off by Buzz constant jump between being overly critical, every single cutscene. I still wouldn't throw out insults at any random foe. That's just not how I would handle any situation. It's no use trying to talk down to someone with a self righteous influence. In worst case you'll make them more amused doing so.
    Last edited by ImVentus; February 12, 2019 at 11:02 AM.

Registered
    Nov 2017
    Trying to adjust with today's current hardships while having some of my own: the game.

A full-on Nier world with an original story would be interesting to see in Kingdom Hearts, unlikely as it is, and I think the only major limitation is that I’d have to be kept E10+.

I got my way of thinking from this: https://mobile.twitter.com/blackbook...15493876867072

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Lumine's repeat playlist

-In my play time with re:coded I feel I really only learned anything new within the last third or quarter of the game.

-My play time and age with kingdom hearts and lack of time and attention and care has generated generally neutral feelings towards the poorly articulated writing and explanations provided. This is not to say that I do not enjoy the games or the stories written, but subjectively becoming more critical after expending hours playing, coming online to swap opinions, theory craft, and do that for 13 some odd years only to find yourself close to your late 20s or over 30 and be like, "well damn, finally!"

-The constant handling of Sora throughout the series as he's viciously strung along a trail of bread crumbs on MX's 13-path plan to which something is taken from him repeatedly throughout the series. Kairi at the beginning of KH1, His memories of Namine and the CO by CoM's end, Riku and the King at the beginning of KH2, his power of waking by DDD's end. This pattern of stacking troubles on a character, sizable ones, and attempting to recover them all in a scattered way tears his development and pacing to ribbons.

Just to name a few.

Registered
    Sep 2015
    XENOBLADE CHRONICLES, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, PROJECT X ZONE 2

Shipping in Kingdom Hearts was a mistake. Everybody should have just stayed platonic.

Registered
    Nov 2018
    None

I don't like Sora's portrayal in KH3.
    The dialogue in KH3 can be cheesier than ever and most of the cheesy lines came from Sora.

Then there's also his behaviour in the beginning of the Keyblade War. He just breaks down at the worst possible time and comes out as overdramatic. Yeah his friends were taken, but so what?! Fight for getting them back. Don't give up and just stay there crying. Honestly I don't know how Riku didn't punch him. I would.

Overall KH1 Sora felt more mature than that. When Sora arrived at Radiant Garden, he lost his keyblade to Riku - his best friend who couldn't care less about him at that point, he got left behind by Donald and Goofy, Kairi was still missing and Destiny Islands was still unreachable. He had lost everything.

He was sad about it, as he should be, but after Beast asked him why he had came to that World, he just composed himself and moved forward with a wooden sword. His resolve was strong enough for Donald/Goofy to go back to his side, even though they were supposed to follow the Keyblade which Riku still had.

KH3 Sora would still be there crying and feeling hopeless.

Organization Member kaseykockroach's Avatar
    Registered
    May 2007
    KH3 (OBVIOUSLY)

Sora was emotionally exhausted by that point. KH1 Sora had more spunk to him because that was his first outing. By KH3, he's tired and is ready to go home and STAY home.
    Hence I'm sad he'll continue being the main character. He needs a break. If this series is going to continue, we really need a new lead. There's nothing else that can be said about Sora at this point that we don't already know.
    But of course, that's not what will happen. New main character would be too controversial. KH4 will be the exact same shenanigans, but with new villains rambling about darkness before they teleport away all while Sora's all "OH NO, THEY SAID RIKU'S STRAIGHT!", then Goofy will assure him "Uh, yeah, but these are the bad guys, which means they're likely spoutin' bullshit", and then Sora laughs it off and says "Yeah, you're right, Goofy! Riku definitely wants to get into my pants" and then we get back to the Song of the South level where we fight the Heartless incarnation of the Tar Baby. And Brer Fox has darkness in his heart or something because he wants to eat rabbit stew.

Registered
    Nov 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Baymax
    Shipping in Kingdom Hearts was a mistake.
    Hold on, I spotted a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Baymax View Post
    Shipping was a mistake.
    There, Fixed it for you.

Scala ad Caelum
    Registered
    Jan 2013

I'm with Fudge, I actually like that the Disney characters were able to hold their own against the Organization members

Sully catching Vanitas off guard didn't take away the tension of him nearly killing Sora. Plus Beast himself was able to fight against Xaldin, albeit with SDG's assistance.

Registered
    May 2007
    KH3 (OBVIOUSLY)

I find Ansem the Wise more loathsome as a character than Xehanort.

Registered
    May 2007

I've been out of the fandom for a long time(8 years) so I'm not sure what's unpopular or not at this point,but here goes anyway.

-I think all four protagonist girls in the series act the same. Their default personality are that of the stereotypical girly archetype of being the nurturer of the group,being inhumanely selfless, holding their hands to their chest like their praying nonsense, and by default not being allowed to be a darker character like an actual complex human being. Larxene is the only one who's truly different,but she's the opposite extreme;a raging douchebag.

-I have zero interest in anything beyond KH3. This series should have ended here. I made my mind up at BBS that I was done after the Xehanort Saga, and Dream Drop Shark Jump just reinforced my resolve. I feel free.

-I think Nomura can be a great character writer when it comes to emotional moments. However, it's his lore asspulls and contradictions, as well as character and narrative inconsistencies, that make me want to pull my hair out.

-Aqua looks like a Kairi clone.Even though there's no lore reason why she does.It seems Nomura has a template for his female characters, in a lot of his games, and he apparently has some trouble deviating from that.

-I don't care about Vanitas. I've never cared about him.
    Spoiler Spoiler Show
    Also I will never buy why he looks like Sora,and even before Sora looked like Sora. This is just Nomura's typical everyone must look like, or be connected to, Sora, Kairi, or Xehanort nonsense.

-I don't care at all that FF wasn't in KH3. As a matter of fact I sincerely wish Disney had followed suit. The original characters and their stories are all I care about, and it's been that way since the beginning for me. That's part of the reason why I think Days has the best written story out of all the games because the Disney cheese took a strong backseat in it and thus allowed the original characters, and their more dark and emotional story, to take center stage.

-
    Spoiler Spoiler Show

-Kairi looks better with long hair. Her shorter version makes her look younger than she is.

-Shipping in general is eye rolling nonsense to me,but if I even give a passing thought canon is the only thing that exists in any medium for me. How can you pair someone up with no romantic bases? Also breathing in the same direction doesn't make characters lovers, and one character having a strong crush while the other is completely oblivious doesn't make them one either. Furthermore showing platonic affection toward a best friend doesn't mean sex is on the horizon. That's why I stick to canon. There's payoff there. I don't understand shipping nothing. As for this series in particular concrete romance might blossom in the future,but at the moment there is nothing canon here.

-Lasting consequences don't exist in this series. This is not a good thing.

-Aqua's voice was atrocious in BBS. She sounded bored out of he mind. It's clear her actress was just there for a paycheck. It's like someone told her to be robotic as she possible could and she just ran with that. Terra voice was also pretty bad. So was Master Xehanort's. Yes I said that. Ven and Vanitas were the only one's who sounded like they gave a crap. I've since gotten use to it,but she still sounds lackluster for Aqua. Also dishonorable mention goes to Isa. I usually love Thornton's voice for Saix, because that's how you do calm without sounding like your're dead,but his Isa's voice was horrible. I wasn't expecting a 15/16 year child to sound like a grown man,but I wasn't expecting whatever that was either.

-Out of the Kairi clones Xion is the most striking.
    Spoiler Spoiler Show

-The dialogue of this series gets on my nerves for the most part. It's very childish and inhuman more often then not.I get so tired of hearing the over-saturated/ad-nauseum cheese-filled dialogue of darkness, light, friendship,memories,and connected. They're the series themes. I get that. However, show them to me in action. I don't need to hear them coming out of the the characters mouths every other minute. Basically grab a thesaurus Nomura or, if you don't want to use yourself as a reference, go around to other human beings so you can see how they actually talk.

-I'm also tired of Black Hole Sue Jesus Sora taking over the narrative at every turn.

-I wish Aqua's hair wasn't blue. It should be realistic like brown or something. She's the only Kairi clone that sticks aesthetically out of her trio because of it.

-
    Spoiler Spoiler Show

-I feel like characters don't get to realistically dwell and reflect on the darker narratives that have happened to them.

Some examples:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I just wish their was actual realistic self refection even if it's just in secret reports.

-I think Saix looks kinda better in the older graphics of the other games. There is just something off with his face in this one. At first I thought it was just the better graphics enhancing the unbecoming color scheme of his yellow eyes and blue hair, and therefore creating a case of uncanniness,
    Spoiler Spoiler Show
    With Axel it's the exact opposite. I've never found him attractive. Well written? Sure. But attractive? No. Then KH3 hit, and I'm like well shit.

-You are either Sora, Xehanort, or Kairi in this series.This is not a good thing. Even being from centuries past(and that's a whole nother issue) does not make you immune from this. I mean theories are already out there on that score because that's just what this series does.

-It definitely has its issues,but overall Days has the best writing as far as its trio is concerned. They became the most well written characters in the entire series. No other trio story touches the emotional writing that happened in Days. We got to see their friendship develop and break. That's storytelling 101. Show don't tell.

Days character writing was just on another level for this entire series,and it hasn't been replicated since.

For the BBS trio we're mostly told they are friends, and then we're just supposed to take the story at its word. There really is no show. The rare times they are together they felt like coworkers. Brothers(sister)at arms. Not friends.

BBS should have never had three story modes. The fact that they were away from each other, most of the time, hurt them as characters a lot.I honestly think the gummiphone should have been introduced then. It would have helped strongly with character moments for those three.

Also the overall writing in BBS was pretty terrible both for the characters and in general. I ended up just not caring about Terra, Aqua and Ven. They are likable in a generic way, and on paper their stories seem tragic,but when it came to the actual execution in the game I felt nothing for them.

Thus
    Spoiler Spoiler Show

The Destiny Island Trio also suffer from tell but no show.It has always felt like Sora/Riku or Sora/Kairi but not all three of them together thus I'm also not emotionally connected to them as friends either.

I mean even in this game that's still the case. For example
    Spoiler Spoiler Show
    Last edited by fantasy08; February 15, 2019 at 07:59 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2014
    Kingdom Hearts 2

I rest my case on the Disney stuff.

I didn't feel a thing for the emotional surprise, nor found Sora's reaction engaging. In fact, I laughed when that someone got sliced to pieces. Shame though to go out (in such a distracting attire with messy haircut) Made that someone look so fragile and innocent. Which I know ticked off a lot of players.

The JP dub for BBS is one underrated gem in the story department. The dialogue is on a whole new level of different, compared to the ENG dub.

I adored the 2nd visits in Kingdom Hearts 2. I'd rather come visit for story elements, instead of abandoning any continuation once finished on first visit.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Lumine's repeat playlist

Sora's portrayal in kingdom hearts three ironically is the most he's ever been allowed as a character to emphasis on himself. Has no one noticed this lasting trope of him unable to be himself and only the marvel and public eye definition of a defender of his friends? To live, breathe, and die by your friends but what about you? What about your life? I feel as though he didn't succumb to the tunnel vision of "RIKU!" "KAIRI!" this time around with the latest installment, and for all my other qualms I have about 3, that was one I genuinely found redeeming about Sora. The tearing him apart and losing something across so many games, was some element that weighed where he was obsessed with a friend or a complete stranger implanting themselves as apart of him as his friend, all these convoluted points in the writing itself take soul from a character's spotlight and made the value of him in hard focusing on everyone but himself, but substantially less in 3 and for how little was introduced, it was, diddlyin awesome.

Registered
    May 2007
    KH3 (OBVIOUSLY)

I sympathize with those that care about this series’ story and see it as more than good source of laughter (especially when drunk), but I can’t say I understand them.

Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast