Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
    Registered
    Jan 2017
    None

Default "Fusion Swords" vs. "Fusion Sword"

I have a bit of a question regarding Cloud's weapon in Advent Children. Ever since a certain interview named Cloud's weapon as the "Fusion Swords", people have called it by the plural, referring to its ability to split into several different blades. However, it always seemed awkward to me, since the completed "Fusion Swords" set appears as one sword. Moreover, in Final Fantasy Explorers, the "Fusion Swords" weapon is simply referred to as the "Fusion Sword" in the singular, making me wonder if this is the official translated name of the weapon for Western audiences.

Folks, what do you call this weapon? "Fusion Swords" or "Fusion Sword"? Which one is more "correct?"

Registered
    Jun 2015
    definitely no school anymore, yo

Default Re: "Fusion Swords" vs. "Fusion Sword"

Quote Originally Posted by Myst Knight View Post
    I have a bit of a question regarding Cloud's weapon in Advent Children. Ever since a certain interview named Cloud's weapon as the "Fusion Swords", people have called it by the plural, referring to its ability to split into several different blades. However, it always seemed awkward to me, since the completed "Fusion Swords" set appears as one sword. Moreover, in Final Fantasy Explorers, the "Fusion Swords" weapon is simply referred to as the "Fusion Sword" in the singular, making me wonder if this is the official translated name of the weapon for Western audiences.

Folks, what do you call this weapon? "Fusion Swords" or "Fusion Sword"? Which one is more "correct?"
    Well, I prefer Fusion Sword because the original (Gattai Ken) translates to "Combined Sword". It makes more sense to me since, like you've already said, the smaller swords fuse into ONE big sword.

Registered
    Jan 2017
    None

Default Re: "Fusion Swords" vs. "Fusion Sword"

That makes sense. I just get skeptical when Westerners like me have to glean information from translated interviews, since things are often taken out of context, or there's some cultural thing that we miss. Also, sometimes SquareEnix changes their mind on what we're supposed to call certain things in the West. I still can't get used to the whole Aeris/Aerith thing, and end up always calling her "Aeris."