Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 179 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Default KHI makes a KH game! Discussion #2: Characters and Character Design

I'm glad to see that we got a lengthy discussion going in the previous thread, but since a week has elapsed I thought we'd get going on the second topic. So with our story themes in mind that will hopefully get narrowed down soon, let's get talking about characters and character design. So like the first discussion, we'll tackle this by having you guys answer a series of prompts.

This week's theme is:
    Story, Narrative, and Themes Design
    Characters and Character Design
    Art Direction and Interface Design
    World and Level Design
    Gameplay and Battle System Design
    Character Growth Development and Encounter Design
    Tertiary Gameplay Design (Mini-Games)
    Analyzing the Total Experience

The second half of this discussion will also allow you to post some of your sketches and doodles or color palettes that you come up with.

Also I'll add more prompts as the come up or are pertinent to the discussion. Enjoy!

Characters
    + Who are the main protagonist and antagonist? What is there background and motivation? How do they develop over the course of the game in their roles?
    + Aside from your main protagonist and antagonist, what characters support these two and in what capacity? How do their roles play into the themes of the game?
    + How much is too much? Do you have many support characters or just a few? Do these characters have a defined personality and character arc? How do they play into the themes you've established in the game?

Character Design (Post your sketches if you will.)
    + What about your protagonist or antagonist's design makes them look and feel like a protagonist? What design characteristics do these character's have that could send the right signals to the player that you want to establish? (ex: A mysterious character having concealing clothing.)
    + What color palettes would you like to use for your characters? These are the primary colors that you can define the character's look and clothes by.
    + What about your character design sets it apart and yet complements the Disney-style characters that will be in the Kingdom Hearts games?

Keyblade Apprentice
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Playing
    Heart Gold

Default Re: KHI makes a KH game! Discussion #2: Characters and Character Design

Quote Originally Posted by Shamdeo View Post
    Characters
    + Who are the main protagonist and antagonist? What is there background and motivation? How do they develop over the course of the game in their roles?

I don't know about everyone else, but I still feel Sora should be the protagonist. As for antagonist, I feel someone contrasting to Ansem - Seeker of Darkness, but contradictorishly complimentary. Maybe the villian ASoD didn't get to become?

Aside from your main protagonist and antagonist, what characters support these two and in what capacity? How do their roles play into the themes of the game?
    Clearly Aqua has to show up. Ven and Terra can if others want. Possibly the others' of the Organization's more nicer members like Lea and Demyx's other. But need more OC's that aren't connected to the Xehanort Saga. Also, every story needs a Biggs and a Wedge.

They could be specific world support. Like a party member you don't have to switch out for but could hel your/party/each other if in close proximity of each other.

Crtain characters activate by other events in he game. Hell, some could even be choice exclusive.

[quote]How much is too much? Do you have many support characters or just a few? Do these characters have a defined personality and character arc? How do they play into the themes you've established in the game?

Anyone brought in from the Xehanort Saga would probably just be a cameo. 'Sorry for all that mess X amount of years ago Sora. Thanks for helping me get my body back. Later!'

Character Design (Post your sketches if you will.)
    I will post an older Sora later. And maybe an antagonist. If I can think of one.

Registered
    Sep 2010
    Pokemon

I don't know about Sora being the main protagonist. It's hard for us as fans to keep Sora's personality true and not do whatever we want with it. But if we were to make our own protagonist it would probably be easier not to screw things up.

And about the sketches, are we just drawing whatever idea that comes into our heads or are we going to try and fit them with some of the idea discussions? Maybe it's just me but I don't think it would be such a bad idea to have something directly to go on.

Nobody
    Registered
    Oct 2009

Again, this idea seems very tempting, especially since I'm an artist as well. I'll have to think about it.

Registered
    Jan 2005

Quote Originally Posted by JerRocks2day View Post
    Again, this idea seems very tempting, especially since I'm an artist as well. I'll have to think about it.
    It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. Simple doodles or sketches that illustrate what you like are alright as well. :)

Nobody
    Registered
    Oct 2009

What kind of roles are we gonna boil it down to? You know in terms of involvement? I know there's writers, character designers, etc. But what about Creative Consultants, prop designers, layout artists, etc?

Nobody
    Registered
    Nov 2006

If we were to create a completely new KH game, then I think it would be better to create new protagonists that are parallels to Sora, Riku, and Kairi. Even different character designs would be cool to think about, too! Anyone else agree?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    TheGAME- oh wait, i just lost it xD

yey, it's C.D. week!! //happy g00ber :3

ne, is it too soon to post sketches? if so, im just gonna leave it like this:

Spoiler Spoiler: Protagonist-"Ageru"WIP Show

critisim is much loved here <3

im leaving this too^^
    Character Creation Form
    Character Creation Form
    Character Creation Form-Blank by ~Yumiko-Shinobi on deviantART
    some basic chara creation forms^^
    Last edited by kingudamu; June 6, 2011 at 02:56 AM. Reason: adding stuffs >,>

Registered
    May 2007

Spoiler Spoiler: blah Show

Some heartless doodles idk (drag the image to another tab for full-view)

instead of giving them an insignia i went ahead and just gave them heart shaped holes with visible ribcages to make them look more visceral

critisim is much loved here <3
    Too lanky, too tall. Muscle, friend; humans have muscles.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    TheGAME- oh wait, i just lost it xD

^^^i like the heartless sketches to the left
    it got stretchedT^T i have 2 different comps and when i transfer one pis to the other, it does this. ima try and post it from the computer at the libary tomorrow.after i do more color.
    so....are we also doing FF and Disney characters as well? or are we leavign them alone for now..?

Registered
    May 2007

you can do whatever you want i suppose, if it'd be in the game it's fair game (lol)

Registered
    Jul 2008

I'll try to post up sketches of characters and enemies like the heartless during the week. I'm diggin' those heartless sketches tho.

I'm thinking of creating an enemy close to the heartless in appearance and nature, but I'm gonna change their background, how they are formed, and their intellect.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Playing
    Equi, Emorta, Eterni.

Spoiler Spoiler: ... Show

Blech, I need more direction than just 'draw imposing things that would freak you out in game'.

Perhaps more mature/scarred things are in order. :B
    goddammitIneedascannerfek

Zen
    Silver Member
    Registered
    Jan 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Tenyas View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler: ... Show

Blech, I need more direction than just 'draw imposing things that would freak you out in game'.

Perhaps more mature/scarred things are in order. :B
    goddammitIneedascannerfek
    The one to the left looks like that alien cockroach from MiB.

I'll try to post some doodles when I can. Probably just heartless designs since I still need more practice with human proportions, clothing and whatnot.

Registered
    Dec 2009

Spoiler Spoiler: lol scribba scribblin Show

ladies are pretty cool

Page 1 of 179 1231151101 ... LastLast