• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Square Enix teases Kingdom Hearts Missing Link

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean, I'd like it all to crash, maybe it will. But from an executive's standpoint, every fanbase is its own potential revenue stream that's being "lost" if not being taken advantage of. Again, there have been multiple gacha for Mana and SaGa, which certainly aren't the most profitable fanbases, but apparently some executive did think they "needed" to exist because those were distinct fanbases.

And I say "gacha" but that's not necessarily the most important part, the abusive microtransactions substituting for the creation of real games is the important part. Maybe they'll find different ways to do this. But it'll still be completely different than, say, a director and their team making a video game.

Yeah there’s definitely going to be microtransactions and I’m writing those off as unavoidable for the reasons you’ve described. The point I’m trying to make is that if we have to mtx, at least change it up from the gacha system. It’s the laborious UI, menus, and systems that come along with those that I hope to avoid. I get why it works for mission based games like Ever Crisis and UX. But I don’t think it would work in a game where most of your time is supposed to be spent on the world map.

The microtransactions in Pokemon Go for example are certainly still exploiting the addictive nature of the gameplay loop. But they’re at least transparent about what you’re getting when you buy something and what purpose it serves. And the menus are pretty user friendly and not overwhelmingly cluttered. It also isn’t particularly intrusive when you just want to boot up the game and casually catch some Pokemon while on a walk. You can just jump right in. That’s how Missing Link should be like if it wants to compete with Pokemon Go and other similar games. Pokemon Go outlived Union Cross and certainly made a lot more money, so not sure why they wouldn’t focus on emulating it as much as possible.

Update: Square Enix’s social media manager teased Missing Link.

Last edited:
Back