• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Squood!

seibah
Awards
Those KH movies are parts of game packages developed by SE, and you know full-well that a Disney-produced feature isn't the same thing as Square packing cutscenes and cinematics as new material from in-game assets. (Back Cover is a slightly different case, but it's also incredibly short and doesn't quite make it to an hour in length)

Moreover, Disney has no issue merchandising Kingdom Hearts -- they just can't. One of the old staff members will have to corroborate this, but SE has a larger merchandise stake in the series and Disney doesn't push for much outside of what Square makes because, again, they don't want to piss off Nomura. These projects, including Seth Kearsley's pilot, don't go very far because Nomura's approval or lack-there-of stops them dead in their tracks.

We know this happened with the animates series, we know this is why it took so long for Sora to get into Smash, and we have good reason to believe that Nomura shut down a young adult novel series about KH a few years ago. I wasn't kidding or being hyperbolic, Disney doesn't want to go against Tetsuya Nomura's wishes, even though they own the IP outright.
This is why I sometimes joke that technically Nomura owns the series since it's usually his word that's final.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
It sounds like it's lose-lose. Disney doesn't want to piss of Nomura so won't do very much, but SE doesn't actually own the IP and won't do very much either. And Nomura, the King Mickey of the series, is being pulled all the time to help with non-KH projects, so the throne sits vacant.

Soldier

Awards
Those KH movies are parts of game packages developed by SE, and you know full-well that a Disney-produced feature isn't the same thing as Square packing cutscenes and cinematics as new material from in-game assets. (Back Cover is a slightly different case, but it's also incredibly short and doesn't quite make it to an hour in length)

Moreover, Disney has no issue merchandising Kingdom Hearts -- they just can't. One of the old staff members will have to corroborate this, but SE has a larger merchandise stake in the series and Disney doesn't push for much outside of what Square makes because, again, they don't want to piss off Nomura. These projects, including Seth Kearsley's pilot, don't go very far because Nomura's approval or lack-there-of stops them dead in their tracks.

We know this happened with the animates series, we know this is why it took so long for Sora to get into Smash, and we have good reason to believe that Nomura shut down a young adult novel series about KH a few years ago. I wasn't kidding or being hyperbolic, Disney doesn't want to go against Tetsuya Nomura's wishes, even though they own the IP outright.
Then if Nomura's the main issue with us not getting any of the cool $%#^, what happens when he croaks?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
That's my monkey paw nightmare scenario.

KH movie with Disney old villains!

*monkey paw curls*

It's the live action part of Disney, though

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
That's my monkey paw nightmare scenario.

KH movie with Disney old villains!

*monkey paw curls*

It's the live action part of Disney, though

Like would Sora be live action in the original worlds, but CGI in the Disney worlds? Or would he be dropping into the live action remakes with CGI Donald and Goofy? Honestly it would be so divorced from KH, there may not even be Disney worlds. Just original ones with the characters showing up in places like Traverse Town in a Once Upon a Time situation.

Pretending it’s real (which I think he’s just screwing with us now), I wonder if they might convince Jon Favreau to direct it since he spent so long trying to get the Magic Kingdoms project off the ground.

EDIT: It’s also sus that he didn’t it was a film last week but suddenly knows it’s a live action/cgi hybrid movie.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Nothing says "let's make a franchise about a 14-16 year old boy" like live-action. Brilliant decision, Disney Overlords.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Nothing says "let's make a franchise about a 14-16 year old boy" like live-action. Brilliant decision, Disney Overlords.
Scarlett Johansson is about to play the role of a lifetime.

Liodin

Awards
I think it's shocking you because in your head you've already got the idea that it's going to be an adaptation.

But, what if...

Kingdom Hearts: Verum Rex

Unreality - Live Action
Reality - CGI

Since the KH4 trailer, there are many who believe that the worlds are going to be from live-action adaptations/remakes like Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Maleficent, etc, because Quadratum is based on the real world.

I know, you want Verum Rex to be a game. So do I. But either another team develops it (Which one? They're all busy) or KH5 comes out in +2035.

Squood!

seibah
Awards
Okay yeah fuck off with this. Disney either makes mid CG films nowadays or crap live action films nowadays.

KH does not fit ACTUAL live action.

Also I do NOT see Unreality as being live action. I see it as just...hey look, it's more realistic lookin' japanese video game like the recent FFs and da Yakoozas and the Tekken 8s

Last edited:

HakaishinChampa

Awards
If it's a kh1 retelling, I guess they'll get live action actors to play the live action counterparts?

Sora meets Will Smtih-Genie

Zackarix

Awards
Weren't there some rumors that this would be live action back when this was supposed to be a series? I don't think they gained much traction because the concept of live action Kingdom Hearts just doesn't fit. And yet...

The only reason I could see for going with live action over animated would be to get the actors from the live action remakes involved. But it still seems like more trouble than it's worth to me. Kingdom Hearts is not big enough that a bunch of Hollywood actors would coordinate their schedules to make it work.

Squood!

seibah
Awards
I dunno..."Live Action KH Movie" just reeks of soulless corporate money-chasing in response to the Sonic movie.

Also I'm kinda annoyed that this guy only said ONE thing about KH4 which might as well be a guess but keeps getting more scoops about this movie.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
pretty excited for even Sora himself to be omitted in favor of hard ass no-fun ex-military beat cop Brett Michaels (Caucasian) who learns how to connect with his son Tommy Michaels (Caucasian also) after getting sucked into the Disney dimension.

"A-hyuck, you gotta use the Keyblade, Brett!"
"Key-blade? Well which is it, a key or a blade? It doesn't make sense."
"Gawrsh, well, uh.. I s'pose it's both!"
"What's this thing gonna do to the enemy? Unlock their porch door? Can I get something useful please?"
"Oh boy, this is gonna be a long adventure, isn't it?"

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Follow the adventures of Sam, Rick and Karen as they navigate their Gummi Ship to different Disney World, while also trying to navigate high school!

Squood!

seibah
Awards
pretty excited for even Sora himself to be omitted in favor of hard ass no-fun ex-military beat cop Brett Michaels (Caucasian) who learns how to connect with his son Tommy Michaels (Caucasian also) after getting sucked into the Disney dimension.

"A-hyuck, you gotta use the Keyblade, Brett!"
"Key-blade? Well which is it, a key or a blade? It doesn't make sense."
"Gawrsh, well, uh.. I s'pose it's both!"
"What's this thing gonna do to the enemy? Unlock their porch door? Can I get something useful please?"
"Oh boy, this is gonna be a long adventure, isn't it?"
HE'S RIGHT BEHIND ME, ISN'T HE

Back