Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered
    Jun 2017
    Kingdom hearts Union Cross.

Default So go to KH3 no hint of Sokai?

I am not an ardent shipper of this couple, but they say that the scene with paopu was not romantic, does this mean that other scenes in KH3, including the moment where Sora and Kairi held hands? (((
    It was just that even to me, not a Sokai fan, it was obvious that this scene was quite romatic, including the parallel that was with Eugene and Rapunzel. Well, the end where Sora sacrificed his life to save Kairi seemed romantic to me too. Is shipping really dead like a canon? It’s just that some Sokai fans really started to bury this shipping after Nomura’s words. What upsets me personally. ((

Registered
    Apr 2015

Default Re: So go to KH3 no hint of Sokai?

Quote Originally Posted by Nukara View Post
    they say that the scene with paopu was not romantic, does this mean that other scenes in KH3, including the moment where Sora and Kairi held hands?
    Who is the 'they' in that sentence?

Registered
    Jun 2013

It's hints if you want it to be hints.

KHI Site Staff Oracle Spockanort's Avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2008

I mean, if you want them to be hints, nobody is stopping you. SoRiku fans use plenty of what is in the series to support that ship, so the same can go for SoKai too if you want it to.

Like, don't let anything stop you from shipping your ship. Shipping is about fun. Everybody's gonna talk shit about a pairing no matter what, anyways.

At the end of the day SoKai is not officially a canon pairing in the games nor are any other pairings.

Quote Originally Posted by Audo View Post
    Who is the 'they' in that sentence?
    I'm assuming she means fans, and fans are referring to the VA interview with Miyano, Irino, and Uchida where Irino says that the paopu scene is platonic and kind of talks shit about SoKai for a bit lol.

But more on that when Goldpanner finishes that~
    Last edited by Oracle Spockanort; March 14, 2019 at 10:26 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Mass Effect, Overwatch, Pokemon

Yeah like everyone said, I guess officially it wasn't meant to be explicitly romantic but you do you.

I know I certainly do when it comes to SoRiku lol

EeL
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Spockanort View Post
    I mean, if you want them to be hints, nobody is stopping you. SoRiku fans use plenty of what is in the series to support that ship, so the same can go for SoKai too if you want it to.

Like, don't let anything stop you from shipping your ship. Shipping is about fun. Everybody's gonna talk shit about a pairing no matter what, anyways.

At the end of the day SoKai is not officially a canon pairing in the games nor are any other pairings.

I'm assuming she means fans, and fans are referring to the VA interview with Miyano, Irino, and Uchida where Irino says that the paopu scene is platonic and kind of talks shit about SoKai for a bit lol.

But more on that when Goldpanner finishes that~
    Official representatives for KH stated that the Sora/Kairi scenes were meant to be platonic? Is there an interview for this that can be read?

Registered
    Apr 2015

Quote Originally Posted by EeL View Post
    Official representatives for KH stated that the Sora/Kairi scenes were meant to be platonic? Is there an interview for this that can be read?
    They aren't really official representatives? It was voice actors talking amongst each other in a casual setting. Sora's VA basically doesn't think the sharing of the paopu fruit is necessarily indicative of romance/of them having become an official couple, and Riku's VA disagreed with him.

Nobody
    Registered
    Mar 2019
    KH3 and Tails of Vesperia

The SoKai scenes can be taken as romantic if that’s what you prefer. I didn’t really interpret the paopu scene as romantic, more so platonic since Kairi was solidifying her desire to protect Sora with physical proof.

I don’t think they are ever going to make anything ‘official’ when it comes to romance in this series, it looks like they like to play coy with the hints though :P

EeL
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Audo View Post
    They aren't really official representatives? It was voice actors talking amongst each other in a casual setting. Sora's VA basically doesn't think the sharing of the paopu fruit is necessarily indicative of romance/of them having become an official couple, and Riku's VA disagreed with him.
    Well I guess that it's just an opinion. I mean the papou is supposed to tie the people that share it for eternity, so if that's not romantic, I'm not sure what is?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNova View Post
    The SoKai scenes can be taken as romantic if that’s what you prefer. I didn’t really interpret the paopu scene as romantic, more so platonic since Kairi was solidifying her desire to protect Sora with physical proof.

I don’t think they are ever going to make anything ‘official’ when it comes to romance in this series, it looks like they like to play coy with the hints though :P
    I have a strange feeling that they might actually make things "official" in future games. They literally had Sora witness "true love" on several occasions in KH3, even mention that he has "a lot to learn about love", and even flash back to the moments of true love before saving Kairi. Plus the ending... THE HAND HOLDING... THE TEARS.

Registered
    Jul 2008

Well I guess that it's just an opinion. I mean the papou is supposed to tie the people that share it for eternity, so if that's not romantic, I'm not sure what is?
    They made the paopu platonic in BBS, so it isn't like they didn't make it possible to read the paopu both ways. With how awkward and anti-climatic the paopu scene is in KH3, I think that platonic is the best interpretation for that scene unless y'all like your romances anti-climatic and borderline uncomfortable?

I have a strange feeling that they might actually make things "official" in future games.
    If Nomura didn't bother to go for it in KH3, the most hyped game of the entire franchise with millions of people anticipating it on top of the "build-up" done in earlier games, there is no way he's gonna do it in a game later on.

They literally had Sora witness "true love" on several occasions in KH3
    Many of which where he thinks about Riku or following that world ends up in a cutscene where he mentions Riku or is with Riku?

even mention that he has "a lot to learn about love"
    Yeah, because he does. Sora, despite being one of the most loving characters of the series, has never really associated love with himself in regards to others. Also, he has a major lack of self-love. That wasn't just a line about him learning about romantic love, but understanding the power of love in all of its forms. The Final World makes that point pretty clear by the various stars, not his interactions with Kairi.

and even flash back to the moments of true love before saving Kairi.
    Never does it show that "true love" is romantic love (unless y'all wanna imply Elsa and Anna are romantic love then uh no bye) All it is showing is that love is a powerful, saving force.

Sora never saved Kairi, though? Kairi saved Sora.

Plus the ending...
    I don't have anything to use a rebuttal against that, but that whole scene is misleading and has a lot of stuff going on between the fact Sora doesn't actually tighten or readjust his hand around Kairi's and that is was mostly a goodbye so it can still be platonic if one wanted to read it as such.

THE HAND HOLDING...

THE TEARS.

"Indeeeeeeeeeeeeed." FudgemintGuardian's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2012
    with your minds

The romantic implications between Sora and Kairi throughout the series is an odd one. KH1 and KH2 do both put them in a romantic light (Sora isn't imagining himself dancing with Kairi for nothin' honey.) CoM and Days also do this albeit with telling and not showing. But then we have Coded which doesn't have a Data Kairi at all despite her appearing in official art for the game, DDD in which she's never mentioned until the secret ending, and now with KH3 where once again Sora never once thinks about her unless she's standing right there (out of sight out of mind I guess...)

Boy's never "I wonder how Kairi is doing." It's always "Riku" this and "Riku" that and "I gotta tell Riku what a blast this place is."

Gee Sora, maybe Kairi would like to visit San Fransokyo to, ya dumb.

EeL
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Spockanort View Post
    They made the paopu platonic in BBS, so it isn't like they didn't make it possible to read the paopu both ways. With how awkward and anti-climatic the paopu scene is in KH3, I think that platonic is the best interpretation for that scene unless y'all like your romances anti-climatic and borderline uncomfortable?

If Nomura didn't bother to go for it in KH3, the most hyped game of the entire franchise with millions of people anticipating it on top of the "build-up" done in earlier games, there is no way he's gonna do it in a game later on.

Many of which where he thinks about Riku or following that world ends up in a cutscene where he mentions Riku or is with Riku?

Yeah, because he does. Sora, despite being one of the most loving characters of the series, has never really associated love with himself in regards to others. Also, he has a major lack of self-love. That wasn't just a line about him learning about romantic love, but understanding the power of love in all of its forms. The Final World makes that point pretty clear by the various stars, not his interactions with Kairi.

Never does it show that "true love" is romantic love (unless y'all wanna imply Elsa and Anna are romantic love then uh no bye) All it is showing is that love is a powerful, saving force.

Sora never saved Kairi, though? Kairi saved Sora.

I don't have anything to use a rebuttal against that, but that whole scene is misleading and has a lot of stuff going on between the fact Sora doesn't actually tighten or readjust his hand around Kairi's and that is was mostly a goodbye so it can still be platonic if one wanted to read it as such.

Why do you have to ruin my post with Sora/Riku shipping :'(

I don't see why Nomura had to pull the trigger in KH3 on Sora/Kairi just because it was the most anticipated KH game with millions watching. Clearly Nomura rather tell a story than worry about fan service just because the eye balls are watching. If Nomura cared about doing stuff just as the fans expected/wanted it just because KH3 was highly anticipated, I'm pretty sure that what we got would NOT be the game he would have released.

I feel like all the moments of "love" and talk of love in this game - a first for any KH game (at least on this level where it follows Sora beyond a Disney world) - felt like development for Sora to me. I think Nomura is telling the story of Kairi loving Sora and Sora being too dumb to realize it until things go catastrophically wrong. I feel like Sora actually started loving Kairi in KH3 (near the end of the game) and was just an oblivious boy having fun up until now. That's why he was always more focused with Riku until the end when he goes after Kairi.

On top of all of that, Kairi writing to Sora while in the Secret Forest makes me believe that she loves him and is just waiting for him to reciprocate. In KH2 she was writing to Sora and in KH3 she was as well. Kairi's love letter opened the door to light in KH2 and Kairi's love for Sora literally saved him from dying in KH3.

Quote Originally Posted by FudgemintGuardian View Post
    The romantic implications between Sora and Kairi throughout the series is an odd one. KH1 and KH2 do both put them in a romantic light (Sora isn't imagining himself dancing with Kairi for nothin' honey.) CoM and Days also do this albeit with telling and not showing. But then we have Coded which doesn't have a Data Kairi at all despite her appearing in official art for the game, DDD in which she's never mentioned until the secret ending, and now with KH3 where once again Sora never once thinks about her unless she's standing right there (out of sight out of mind I guess...)

Boy's never "I wonder how Kairi is doing." It's always "Riku" this and "Riku" that and "I gotta tell Riku what a blast this place is."

Sora wanted to bring Kairi back to NeverLand. In Halloween Town he thought about dancing with Kairi. In Pride Lands, Sora talks about Kairi seeing him like a lion cub. The Gummiphone doesn't work in The Secret Forest, so that's why Sora never bothered facetiming/texting her.

Registered
    Jul 2008

Quote Originally Posted by FudgemintGuardian View Post
    The romantic implications between Sora and Kairi throughout the series is an odd one. KH1 and KH2 do both put them in a romantic light (Sora isn't imagining himself dancing with Kairi for nothin' honey.) CoM and Days also do this albeit with telling and not showing.
    This is honestly where the games lost me on trying to convince me to like SoKai. The series likes telling us that Kairi is important to Sora, post-KH2 but it never does it in a way that moved their relationship forward or showed us anything new from their past. It's always about the interactions between other characters or in relation to plot developments. That isn't how you sell a romance, let alone any meaningful relationship.

Even in KH2 Sora spends so much time thinking about Kairi as she was, and is really awkward in a confused way when faced with Kairi as she is in the present. It's not even in a way that one would see when facing a crush of theirs, but rather in a genuinely confused manner because she isn't want he thought she'd be.

But then we have Coded which doesn't have a Data Kairi at all despite her appearing in official art for the game, DDD in which she's never mentioned until the secret ending
    Which is what is baffling to me. Coded could have been the perfect place to reintroduce the concept of Kairi as a love interest if that was what they wanted. KH3D could have done it as well.

Instead both games go to extreme lengths to really solidify Sora and Riku's friendship and the lengths both would go for each other. I will always be grateful for that kind of development for those two, but I really never liked that it came at the expensive of shoving Kairi out of their trio.

Even BBS could have been a great way to establish Sora and Kairi's first meeting if they had bothered to care about that relationship. Imagine if they had shown Kairi arriving to DI during the meteor shower and show Sora and Riku finding her on the shore?

and now with KH3 where once again Sora never once thinks about her unless she's standing right there (out of sight out of mind I guess...)
    Even in sight he kinda just ignores her up until Kairi shoves a paopu into his face. Also when Kairi gets kidnapped he's super upset, but then goes right back to cheerful?

There were a ton of these moments where I was waiting for Sora to mention Kairi and it just didn't happen. Not even a damn phone call?

Nobody
    Registered
    Mar 2019
    KH3 and Tails of Vesperia

If there is one thing Sora definitely needs a lot more of is self-love. That boy really needs to stop sacrificing himself at every chance he gets. Kairi and Riku need to hang more too. Those two have a severe lack of chemistry!

Registered
    Feb 2015
    Everything. I''m hardcore like that.

Why do you have to ruin my post with Sora/Riku shipping :'(

I don't see why Nomura had to pull the trigger in KH3 on Sora/Kairi just because it was the most anticipated KH game with millions watching. Clearly Nomura rather tell a story than worry about fan service just because the eye balls are watching. If Nomura cared about doing stuff just as the fans expected/wanted it just because KH3 was highly anticipated, I'm pretty sure that what we got would NOT be the game he would have released.

I feel like all the moments of "love" and talk of love in this game - a first for any KH game (at least on this level where it follows Sora beyond a Disney world) - felt like development for Sora to me. I think Nomura is telling the story of Kairi loving Sora and Sora being too dumb to realize it until things go catastrophically wrong. I feel like Sora actually started loving Kairi in KH3 (near the end of the game) and was just an oblivious boy having fun up until now. That's why he was always more focused with Riku until the end when he goes after Kairi.

On top of all of that, Kairi writing to Sora while in the Secret Forest makes me believe that she loves him and is just waiting for him to reciprocate. In KH2 she was writing to Sora and in KH3 she was as well. Kairi's love letter opened the door to light in KH2 and Kairi's love for Sora literally saved him from dying in KH3.

Sora wanted to bring Kairi back to NeverLand. In Halloween Town he thought about dancing with Kairi. In Pride Lands, Sora talks about Kairi seeing him like a lion cub. The Gummiphone doesn't work in The Secret Forest, so that's why Sora never bothered facetiming/texting her.
    I'm pretty much on that same boat. Like, I understand why people think this way and it's not a bad thing but all the Sora and Kairi scenes are very clearly romantically implied. I don"t see how it isn't, even if the paopu fruit can be seen as just friendship. It never feels that with Sora and Kairi, regardless of if the relationship is done well narratively. It's still very much there. I could never see the scenes that Sora has with Kairi replaced with Riku. Sora and Riku have a very different dynamic then Sora and Kairi, at least from my point of view. Like, the scenes with Sora and Riku are great but I never saw them as romantically implied (Yeah, I know, the unreleased novels exist. I know. Dont @ me lol) I mean, Sora has known Riku for much, much longer then Kairi before she ended on the Islands, so I would've already figured they'd have a different kind of dynamic then Sora and Kairi.

Besides, I always got the impression that Sora was never the brightest bulb when it came to love. Like, beyond friendship love. Keep in mind, they are still teenagers. Some teenagers are more foward then others; some are just trying to figure it out, so they still with their friends for the most part. Looking at it in that light, the Kairi/Sora dynamic seems a lot more compelling; a love story about two childhood friends who slowly fall for each other but only one of them isnt ready to move to the next level especially by the end of KH3 when Sora is being saved by Kairi in the darkness and he flashes back to those moments of sacrifice on the Disney worlds. At that moment he understood, which is why he didnt hesistate to go off and find her at the end of the game.

I mean, Sora literally said "I thought we'd finally be together" What else would that be implying at all? They were already back on Desinty islands by KH2, so what else could mean other then "I finally figured I want to be with this person but my archenemies slice her into ice and exploded"

Again, the relationship obviously need some fine tuning but their is potential there. I guess I was never that critical of it considering that they are young teenagers and Sora, being very different from most people in general, would have a hard time understanding a deeper connection that isnt just friendship or brotherhood. I know the forum doesnt like discussing or hate that most shows focus on romantic elements rather then friendships but romantic relationships do tend to have deeper connections for the most part. It varies but romantic relationships are not just something people stumbled into... I mean, they do but it never works out because it always requires something deeper. Sharing a life with someone is much deeper then just a friendship and requires more commitment and dedication. That's not something most teenagers understand or they take that connection for granted in some aspects.

Although I know lost fans dont like it when the series focuses on other themes that aren't friendships but I would like for the series to explore other relationships dynamics in the next arc. Which I guess it sort of has but the emphasis has always been friendship and never just "the different kinds of love and relationships you can have with others people" which is something always bothered me by the series' themes as a whole.
    Last edited by MrFranklin95; March 15, 2019 at 04:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast