Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Dragon Age: Inquisition

Default Re: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Coming to Netflix

Wow that opening looks promising I might actually check this out.

Registered
    Feb 2007

The sense of dread is really missing, but let's see how it will work out for the books to come.
    Did we read the same book series? Count Olaf has always been a comical villain at best. There isn't much "dread" as you know the series is going to quite literally just be a series of unfortunate events, and as such you don't really dread anything. It's just a matter of what it's going to be, but you know it'll turn out fine really.

Registered
    Oct 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Did we read the same book series? Count Olaf has always been a comical villain at best. There isn't much "dread" as you know the series is going to quite literally just be a series of unfortunate events, and as such you don't really dread anything. It's just a matter of what it's going to be, but you know it'll turn out fine really.
    I disagree, especially in the beginning he was a real menace, and at least if he is alone with the children he was rarely comical. That changes around book 9\10, when the scope of the events are broadened, but my point still stands.

Registered
    Nov 2013
    Stuff

I don't have Netflix. Where can I watch it other than signing up for a Netflix account? I am also hesitant to watch it especially with how the last one back in 2004 with Jim Carrey went. I don't think I liked it because Count Olaf was played off as pretty much a comedic villain rather than the serious one as portrayed in the books. I remember him being court ordered to go through each of the scenarios that he put his foster children through like the car being parked on the tracks.
    I think Neil Patrick Harris is better at Olaf`s role than Carrey. There is this comedy in it, but at the same time I think he can be quite terrifying when he is alone with the kids and he drops the acting. Like when as Stefano he slams the huge knife onto the door and starts to slowly approach the orphans. There is none of those silly facial expressions that Carrey did.

Registered
    Jul 2009

I've finished the last episode. Well...it does add more "oomph" than the movie by covering Lucky Smells. The TV show does a better representation about how Count Olaf alludes the children with each cunning disguise than the movie. You can view the evolution of his disguise in the show quite well, which should be noted.

I was not too much of a fan of the third book in the TV show. I believe Alfre Woodard is a good actress (Mariah from Luke Cage bitchesss), but her character is just over the top, much like Mr. Poe. She says the more important lines, but it just becomes cringe worthy near the end.

Overall, I am impressed how this show went from "wow..this is mediocre" to "what do you mean only 8 episodes?" and completely convinced me to look out for the next season.

Registered
    Nov 2013
    Stuff

Watched this with my sister a few weeks back and the second last episode destroyed me emotionally:
    Spoiler Spoiler Show

Registered
    Jul 2009

Season 2 is currently out. I'm up to Book 6 now, and the show actually does a great job of intertwining plot points. Take note Kingdom Hearts *ohhh burn*

Max
    Registered
    May 2007
    Yakuza 0; Smash Brothers 3ds; Alan Wake's American Nightmare; Chrono Trigger; Dragon Quest 2

I don't kniw that I even finished the first episode of this show, if I did then I didn't finish the second. I mean, it wasn't bad, but I just wasn't digging it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234