Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
    Registered
    Sep 2015
    XENOBLADE CHRONICLES, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, PROJECT X ZONE 2

Default What's the point of announcing a "surprise" world so early?

Honestly, I was really excited to speculate as to what this new Disney world is in Unchained X, but I feel that Square Enix shot themselves in the foot with the announcement. At this point, it would have been better to just announce the world through a stealth reveal as oppose to saying "Here's a surprise coming up".

Registered
    Nov 2014
    Default Re: What's the point of announcing a "surprise" world so early?

can't say i care tbh, we got story updates anyway

*manly grunting noises* FudgemintGuardian's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2012
    Unchained X[chi]

Meh, I don't really care about the wait. It's not like they said the new world would be happening anytime soon, just that there is one.

Registered
    Sep 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Muke View Post
    Can't say I care tbh, we got story updates anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by FudgemintGuardian View Post
    Meh, I don't really care about the wait. It's not like they said the new world would be happening anytime soon, just that there is one.
    But part of the reason why people are into Kingdom Hearts is because you're interacting with these Disney movies. We haven't had a new Disney world be featured in Kingdom Hearts since Dream Drop Distance in 2012, pretty sure that's a big deal (even bigger deal if it's exclusive to Unchained X).

Registered
    Nov 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Baymax View Post
    But part of the reason why people are into Kingdom Hearts is because you're interacting with these Disney movies. We haven't had a new Disney world be featured in Kingdom Hearts since Dream Drop Distance in 2012, pretty sure that's a big deal (even bigger deal if it's exclusive to Unchained X).
    We also didn't get a new full-titled KH game since DDD, so it's like whatever to me. Doesn't seem like a big deal to people at all - you're the first person I see complaining about this (which isn't bad, I'm just saying).

Registered
    Sep 2015

We also didn't get a new full-titled KH game since DDD, so it's like whatever to me. Doesn't seem like a big deal to people at all - you're the first person I see complaining about this (which isn't bad, I'm just saying).
    I suppose it is just me, but it's such a big pet peeve I have. I'm more into the Disney side of Kingdom Hearts, and the inclusion of a new world means original stories, a new Keyblade and original musical pieces by Yoko Shimomura.

Livin' Like Larry GronoTRIGGERED's Avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2013
    The System

I suppose it is just me, but it's such a big pet peeve I have. I'm more into the Disney side of Kingdom Hearts, and the inclusion of a new world means original stories, a new Keyblade and original musical pieces by Yoko Shimomura.
    Ah, one of those :P I liked the Disney worlds in the original, but that's certainly not what's kept me here so long.

Keyblade Apprentice DefiantHeart's Avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    FF XIV Stormblood and Kingdom Hearts Union X.

True. Ish nice to get new stuff. I just wish Disney had more of impact with the story; still just Disneyland meets teen drama with a philosophical undertone. Disney's been basically just props and backgrounds for them to use, really... though idk how Nomura could involve Disney more then that... without interfering with those stories directly. It's probably part of why Kingdom Hearts is so successful anyways; that sweet spot between Disney interaction and Kingdom Hearts still being it's own story. Still can't help wanting something more between them... meh.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Mass Effect, Overwatch, Pokemon

Tbh, that's because they literally let the hype fall into the abyss to the point where I forgot it was even a thing lol. I would have been more irritated about this as well haha. I was really excited when they first announced it... But I am also someone who technically is here more for the Disney content. Or rather, I'm here for Disney and JRPG mashed together. Without the Disney, its not as good to me I guess.

At this point, I guess I'm good waiting though. No point wondering what its gonna be :P

Quote Originally Posted by DefiantHeart View Post
    True. Ish nice to get new stuff. I just wish Disney had more of impact with the story; still just Disneyland meets teen drama with a philosophical undertone. Disney's been basically just props and backgrounds for them to use, really... though idk how Nomura could involve Disney more then that... without interfering with those stories directly. It's probably part of why Kingdom Hearts is so successful anyways; that sweet spot between Disney interaction and Kingdom Hearts still being it's own story. Still can't help wanting something more between them... meh.
    I mean I feel like we all think that ha. Ever since Kh1 it hasn't been as consistent, though maybe I wouldn't just call them props lol...well a few times I guess so yeah. They are always great when its a new story that still feels in keeping with the original. KH3 seems to be...at least pointing in that direction again? I hope it continues.

Registered
    Sep 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DefiantHeart View Post
    Except that Kingdom Hearts 1 had Disney worlds being directly involved with the narrative. King Triton was aware of the Keyblade and the existence of other worlds, Beast's heart was strong enough for Belle to go from his home world to Hollow Bastion. Sure, it could be argued that the existence of four original characters had to resort to that, but that worked to the series' benefit.

Good news is, Kingdom Hearts III is definitely pointing to the direction where the Disney worlds are much more involved with the general narrative. Sora's visiting Mount Olympus in order to regain his lost powers under the request of Yen Sid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sora2016 View Post
    Tbh, that's because they literally let the hype fall into the abyss to the point where I forgot it was even a thing lol. I would have been more irritated about this as well haha. I was really excited when they first announced it... But I am also someone who technically is here more for the Disney content. Or rather, I'm here for Disney and JRPG mashed together. Without the Disney, its not as good to me I guess.
    Exactly. I just don't understand what sort of PR move that was from the Kingdom Hearts X social media team. It's like saying to someone, "Hey, I've got a surprise for you, but can't say what it is." and they never mention said surprise ever again.
    Last edited by Alpha Baymax; April 20, 2017 at 10:40 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

technically, they never announced it as a "surprise" world? they announced that three new worlds were in the works for unchained, and that one of them was a new property to the series. that was it. that's all that was said, really. and the point of it should be obvious -- it came right after khx's end and it was meant to show that work on unchained would continue and that it would be a substantial undertaking, that the story would continue and be expanded on and to emphasize that unchained wasn't just a khx port definitively, and to get people interested in following unchained. to show that there was a planned future there.

Registered
    Sep 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Audo View Post
    technically, they never announced it as a "surprise" world? they announced that three new worlds were in the works for unchained, and that one of them was a new property to the series. that was it. that's all that was said, really. and the point of it should be obvious -- it came right after khx's end and it was meant to show that work on unchained would continue and that it would be a substantial undertaking, that the story would continue and be expanded on and to emphasize that unchained wasn't just a khx port definitively, and to get people interested in following unchained. to show that there was a planned future there.
    It's a surprise world in the definition that we don't know what the Disney property is.

Still doesn't change the fact that it was announced way too early for its own good. The new Disney property world was announced even before the announcement of Union X. The Kingdom Hearts X social media team could have easily just let people know that more additional content for Unchained X is going to be available, and that the story will start to differ from Kingdom Hearts X without through a tease that they're too lazy to follow up on.

This new Disney property should have been under wraps until a surprise reveal for E3, because truth be told, I feel as though that's when the new world will be announced anyway.