Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered
    Jan 2019
    None

Default Are you more or less optimistic about the writing for future titles?

I don't see this as a veiled question as to whether you liked KH3 or not.

I think it's possible to have been disappointed with KH3, but also relieved that the Xehanort saga is at least finished and Nomura can move on to new threads. Maybe even escape some of the webs of convolution he weaved over the years. The first real chance at a fresh start in . . . how long, exactly? KH2?

Or is all of that hope undone with the epilogue/secret movie, which don't exactly point toward turning over a new leaf entirely?

I'm just thinking aloud here and curious to know what others think.

Scala ad Caelum
    Registered
    Jan 2013

Default Re: Are you more or less optimistic about the writing for future titles?

KH3 showed that a lot of KH's writing problems probably aren't going away, lol.

Not sure if optimistic is the right word but a fresh start is somewhat promising. The epilogue and secret ending had me intrigued.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Default Re: Are you more or less optimistic about the writing for future titles?

Probably more. Aside from some blunders in the original plot stuff, I found overall the entire game to be better written than past titles, especially on a dialogue and moment-to-moment level. I found the game legitimately funny this time, not cringe-funny and I think it absolutely delivered on some very key things. I'm hoping now that a lot of these big things have been resolved, the future can lend itself to even more. These were big hurdles to clear and I'm not surprised some of them didn't get done as well as they could, but now they are in a good place to start off better. With the Xehanort Convolution gone, with all these characters finally together and the problem of uniting them dealt with, i think it can grow to have those great interactions and combinations and all that that people want and are looking forward to.

unwavering duck pilot Launchpad's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    hopscotch with your dad

Quote Originally Posted by Audo View Post
    Probably more. Aside from some blunders in the original plot stuff, I found overall the entire game to be better written than past titles, especially on a dialogue and moment-to-moment level. I found the game legitimately funny this time, not cringe-funny and I think it absolutely delivered on some very key things. I'm hoping now that a lot of these big things have been resolved, the future can lend itself to even more. These were big hurdles to clear and I'm not surprised some of them didn't get done as well as they could, but now they are in a good place to start off better. With the Xehanort Convolution gone, with all these characters finally together and the problem of uniting them dealt with, i think it can grow to have those great interactions and combinations and all that that people want and are looking forward to.
    My opinion: this post but slightly less eloquent and with more jokes

Registered
    Jul 2014
    Kingdom Hearts 2

There is the gap of personal preferences from the writing.

Personally, KH3 was a downgrade filled with contrived allegory in the veins of Dream Drop Distance and un-surprisingly childish dialogue. Couldn't even bother to polish the relationship between the rescued trio. So why would I get the idea that new characters wouldn't receive the same treatment.

I wouldn't remain optimistic even if it meant a fresh start. The problems will be present for as long as they don't care to finish what they started. But I'd be surprised if a large majority still had hope for damsel Kairi to get any treatment whatsoever from here on.
    Last edited by ImVentus; February 12, 2019 at 02:29 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Playing
    Dissidia Opera Omnia, Final Fantasy V IOS

Personally, on the whole, I am pretty optimistic about the next saga. I tend to give Nomura a bit of slack on the writing of the Dark Seeker Saga. Considering that KH was not originally going to be a full series, I think alot of the convolution and bad writing stemmed more from the fact that Nomura didn't really have the chance to fully plan on the story in advance. Don't get me wrong, he definitely could have made a lot of better writing choices in the series, but I feel like he gets a bit too much criticism on this at times. In the case of the new sage, I remember Nomura announced that the series would continue back in 2010. I'd like to think that he has taken the time to actually iron out the details of the new saga from then till now. I am keeping my expectations low just to be safe, but as others have noted, now that the convolution surrounding Xehanort is over with, this might be his chance to tell a more well thought out story.

Bronze Member
    Registered
    Sep 2016

I am optimistic unless Nomura finds yet another new goal that captures his excitement and treats the next game as he treated this one's story and resolution.
    But considering what' on the plate of the next entry (IF it's based on what we know), I am confident he can remain focused long enough.

Registered
    Nov 2012
    None

Well, yes and no. Yes, in the sense that the dialogue between SDG and the interaction between the Disney worlds / the overarching plot was greatly improved in KH3. No, in that the overarching plot on its own will still make no sense 't'all.

Registered
    Jan 2014
    ...a brand new world, one heart at a time.
    KINGDOM HEARTS III

The KINGDOM HEARTS to Disney writing is phenomenal. The KINGDOM HEARTS to KINGDOM HEARTS writing is shitty. Do I think it can get better? Yes. Will it get better? Ehh... In a scale of zero to ten, ten being good writing, I put KINGDOM HEARTS III in a 7/10, and a possible upgrade of 7.2/10...

Nobody
    Registered
    Dec 2018
    Playing
    None

I think the writing was one of the best parts of this game to be honest with you, and the voice acting too. I loved almost all of the KH dialogue in the relevant cutscenes. They fleshed out a lot of characters in a short period of time.

There were some flaws with the more minor cutscenes I think but I also think thats because they felt rushed.

As the games progress I think the writing has gotten overall much better. Even the unionX dialogue I've been impressed with. Sorry if you didn't like it but I honestly don't know why anyone is complaining about the dialogue. Of all the things to complain about in this game the dialogue is not even close to being it...

Organization Member kaseykockroach's Avatar
    Registered
    May 2007
    KH3 (OBVIOUSLY)

Oh, come now. You guys see the black hooded dude in the secret video? Nothing's changed.

Registered
    Jun 2013

Nomura's best skill is making me care about the shitty characters he writes up. To that end I don't expect that to change in the future.

Registered
    Feb 2019
    Platinuming KH3

I think the writing in the series has been on a steady decline since the absolute height of dialogue, world and character building that Kingdom Hearts will ever reach, 358/2 Days. I think my grammar in that sentence was less than ideal.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy BBS, RE:Coded, Dream Drop, and Kh3. But I feel like... the writing in terms of the overall plot, the dialogue between characters (with the exception of SDG and the Disney Worlds in KH3), the world building, and the character development has been getting worse and worse. It's not like KH2 was a particular high point, with characters like Luxord and Xigbar not even having their names said out loud, but it was certainly better than the nonsensical train wreck that is the time travel of DDD, and the many unexplained aspects of basic parts of KH3s story.

Whew, gotta cool off. I think I'm getting too anti-Kh3 here...

The point is, I think that the more control Nomura has over the overall story, the worse it seems to get. After the success of Days, the games where he has taken over as writer have gotten increasingly complicated and I don't see that changing. I personally find the plot of KHUX to be maddeningly and needlessly complicated, and the dialogue is stiff and wooden. It's possible to write a voice acting-free KH game and create interesting characters (aka COM), but aside from their design, and the actions the story has them take, many of the original characters in KHUX are hard to separate from each other. Back Cover I think just exacerbated this problem, with poor dialogue and a story that just doesn't flow properly for what was supposed to be a stand alone film.

Even in the epilogue of KH3,
    Spoiler Spoiler Show

It makes it hard for me to get excited for what's next when the big finale of what came before was written... not so great.

Registered
    Jan 2014
    ...a brand new world, one heart at a time.
    KINGDOM HEARTS III

To be completely honest, Nomura is a good writer when it's the first entry of a new series. Other than that, he needs help. That Ienzo fiasco is pretty bad.

Registered
    Feb 2019
    Platinuming KH3

Quote Originally Posted by Ballad of Caius View Post
    To be completely honest, Nomura is a good writer when it's the first entry of a new series. Other than that, he needs help. That Ienzo fiasco is pretty bad.
    And a few other... minor/major plot holes. I feel like one of his biggest flaws is putting things off to the "next game". Cause I mean, we wouldn't have had to rush through so many reunions and meetings if some of this stuff got fixed earlier, ya know? Like, what if Sora saved Aqua and Ventus at the end of DDD? Kh3 could have been all about saving Roxas, and Aqua and Ven trying to save Terra. Would have saved A LOT of space for other stuff going on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast