Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered
    Nov 2016
    None

Default Re: Would you prefer it if Disney was stripped clean from Kingdom Hearts?

hell naw, I love the disney worlds and we barely just got pixar worlds. I am not giving up playing inside a disney movie

Nobody
    Registered
    Apr 2013
    None

Default Re: Would you prefer it if Disney was stripped clean from Kingdom Hearts?

Quote Originally Posted by Zul View Post
    I want the opposite, I want it closer to KH1 where the Disney aspect was melded into the main plot more. KH3 actually recovered a "bit" of this with the Disney-Organization interactions, Woody-YX being my favorite.
    100% agree with this. We need more Disney in the main plot. In the next saga we need to integrate Disney characters in to the main story more.

Raz
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Of course not. Everything that makes this game not a typical JRPG is the Disney aspect. It wouldn't be the same series.

Unversed
    Registered
    Jul 2015
    Playing
    None

Everyone's answer here will be no. The only issue with the games is the overall story. It went from simple to convoluted and the story balancing is all out of wack. Can you image this game talking about hearts and love without the Disney elements? Pretty weird if you ask me. If anything, the Disney elements is what makes the unbearable parts of the game bearable.

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Resident Evil 2 Remake

NO! Disney is what makes the series unique, remove it and you get a bland generic JRPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Zul View Post
    I want the opposite, I want it closer to KH1 where the Disney aspect was melded into the main plot more. KH3 actually recovered a "bit" of this with the Disney-Organization interactions, Woody-YX being my favorite.
    100% THIS! The series got so complicated and depressing after KH1 because of all the newer original characters. I hope they get rid of RAX and TAV as I see no reason for them to return after KH3.
    Last edited by k99y77; February 13, 2019 at 06:55 AM.

EeL
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    @EeL: The Disney characters could just as easily be excised from KH as the FF characters--most of the ways KH3 connected them to the overarching plot were in tangential ways--and I'm sure the series would still sell decently off name value alone.
    The point I was trying to make was that DISNEY worlds basically made up at least 75% of any KH game. There's no way that you can strip away ALL DISNEY aspects of KH and expect it to still be KH. Final Fantasy was always a small fraction of the KH series and definitely became less of a marketing tool/selling point for the series after KH2. Now that KH is loaded with original characters and lore that compares to that of a Final Fantasy game, the actual Final Fantasy part is no longer needed. There is no substituting the DISNEY part. No one wants to visit Final Fantasy worlds when you can do that WAY MORE IN DEPTH in their own games. Why does DISNEY work in KH? Because it lets you explore worlds that we only see the bits featured in the films.

As much as I love all the original worlds in KH, if there were a KH game with only Traverse Town, Twilight Town, Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden, The World That Never Was, Castle Oblivion, The Keyblade Graveyard, The Dark World, Daybreak Town, and Scala ad Caelum I would probably not enjoy it. KH cannot exist without DISNEY. That is just a fact.

Registered
    Mar 2015

The title of the thread made me want to throw my computer, but the responses warmed my heart.

It will never happen because it's Disney/Square, not Disney/FF or FF/Square; that's why they took the liberty of cutting out FF.

I would probably jump off the train; as others have echoed, I would just start playing FF. It wouldn't even be Kingdom Hearts anymore, and if it was, that's failure on Nomura's behalf for mismanaging a crossover (which he's already done).

How come no one ever talks about vice versa? The villain's council coming back, Maleficent being the main baddie and traversing the worlds as Mickey, Donald & Goofy? Oh yeah, that's "too kiddy". I would rather see that, but alas, the game cannot exist without either side.

I've also never understood how or why people uncaring of the Disney aspect have gotten into this franchise, but to each their own; literally finding out the new Disney worlds is like finding out about the Smash newcomers... imagine taking that away. You'd eliminate half your fanbase.

It's a silly thread, but a necessary one since I've seen this discussed on other sites, but it's like "Would you prefer if jelly was stripped from PB&J?". It wouldn't be PB&J anymore.

"Indeeeeeeeeeeeeed." FudgemintGuardian's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2012
    with your minds

Mickey: "You can't have one without the other, 'cause Disney is half of everything."

The Disney aspect is a huge part of why the series works and I would never want to see it go.

BUT! After seeing the original worlds taking a backseat and the complications with developing worlds based on the recent films (Arendelle was pretty much just Disney constantly saying "no" at everything) I would like if the next game had a little less emphasis on Disney so it can focus more on the next arc.

Registered
    Nov 2012
    None

Quote Originally Posted by EeL View Post
    Now that KH is loaded with original characters and lore that compares to that of a Final Fantasy game, the actual Final Fantasy part is no longer needed.
    You can hold that opinion if you want to. I don't agree with it at all. I think it's hypocritical to go hard for one side of the equation and just shrug at the absence of the other. Other than KH1, the Disney characters could be cut wholesale and the original story would be entirely unaffected. But I don't want the games to be without Disney any more than I wanted them to be without FF. And, speaking for myself, the original characters do not fill the void of Final Fantasy.

I mean, am I the only one who thinks the KH charactershave very little in common with FF characters? They have weird clothes, yes, but they act like something out of an anime and most of the protagonists are childish and immature. Xehanort, Larxene, and Vexen ham it up like Disney villains. The inane storyline is definitely a KH-only thing. FF games have never had a problem making sense.

Registered
    Jan 2017
    None

Honestly, FF has always been wasted in KH. Some of the boss fights are cool but most of the other characters were used poorly. So I'm cool with less FF if they just stick to boss fights/side quests like Sephiroth rather than being background fluff like Seifer and his gang.

So I'm cool with keeping Disney and using FF less.
    Last edited by Rodin; February 13, 2019 at 04:00 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2009

I think Disney characters are important, but I wish KH had less of it and more original story.

Registered
    Sep 2015
    XENOBLADE CHRONICLES, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, PROJECT X ZONE 2

I don't want to be a broken record here, but Kingdom Hearts is owned by Disney, it's just that Square Enix has development rights for the games. Kingdom Hearts V-Cast was published by Disney.

But if Kingdom Hearts was to stick with wholly original elements, it just would not work. Like many have stated, it's far too ingrained in the series to eliminate at this point.

EeL
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    You can hold that opinion if you want to. I don't agree with it at all. I think it's hypocritical to go hard for one side of the equation and just shrug at the absence of the other. Other than KH1, the Disney characters could be cut wholesale and the original story would be entirely unaffected. But I don't want the games to be without Disney any more than I wanted them to be without FF. And, speaking for myself, the original characters do not fill the void of Final Fantasy.

I mean, am I the only one who thinks the KH charactershave very little in common with FF characters? They have weird clothes, yes, but they act like something out of an anime and most of the protagonists are childish and immature. Xehanort, Larxene, and Vexen ham it up like Disney villains. The inane storyline is definitely a KH-only thing. FF games have never had a problem making sense.
    It's not hypocritical to go hard for one side of the equation when the equation itself goes hard for one side. This is the equation that KH was built upon.

There are literally only 9 Final Fantasy characters in KH1. Besides Leon being a tutorial and Cid being the Gummi Ship menu, the only Final Fantasy character that had ANY actual storyline purpose in KH1 was Cloud and *surprise* it was because he was a part of the Disney world storyline.

On the flip side - how many Disney characters are there in KH1? WAY more than 9 and they do WAY more than any of the Final Fantasy characters. Even the ones that have 1 text box of dialogue are more relevant to the story than any Final Fantasy character (like Aurora/Cinderella/Snow White).

At the end of the day, KH was NEVER 50% Disney and 50% Final Fantasy. The Final Fantasy characters have always been cameos, and tutorials/characters solely to move the plot along to the next Disney world (like moving Sora and company to Space Paranoids in KH2 or the setpiece that was Radiant Garden after Sora woke up and needed somewhere that Xemnas could make his speech then disappear).

You want to talk about how the Disney characters could be completely cut from KH2 and the main story would be unaffected? The same goes tenfold for the Final Fantasy characters. The Cloud/Sephiroth storyline had nothing to do with anything in the main plot. Auron's appearance was great, but I don't think he even spoke with Demyx. The Radiant Garden crew were just pure exposition that could have been put onto any other characters and it wouldn't have mattered.

I didn't say that I don't want Final Fantasy in KH. I just said that they are no longer needed. KH3 was just fine without them. I didn't even realize they were missing until I beat the game and realized that we didn't see any of them (besides in Olympus). I was hoping to see Lightning, Ashe, Balthier, Fran, Cloud and Sephiroth in KH3, but that didn't happen.
    Spoiler Spoiler Show

Registered
    Nov 2012
    None

Quote Originally Posted by EeL View Post
    At the end of the day, KH was NEVER 50% Disney and 50% Final Fantasy.
    I never said it was. Jesus, take a break from the caps.

You want to talk about how the Disney characters could be completely cut from KH2 and the main story would be unaffected?
    Are we going in circles in here? This is the point I responded to in the first place--saying that, yes, you could rip out the FF characters and the story would mostly be fine, but the exact same thing could be said for the Disney characters in any game but KH1?

I just said that they are no longer needed.
    The Disney characters are no longer "needed" either, but they will always be wanted and the same goes for the FF characters. Maleficent does nothing relevant in KH3. The talk about PoHs is superficial; they are not important. Mickey doesn't even have a substantial role like 2 and 1, except to fill a quota.

I like the TWEWY characters, too; I include them under the FF umbrella (which should really be "the Square characters."). I definitely hope the Secret Ending means Riku and Sora end up in some kind of TWEWY locale and/or plot.

Registered
    Nov 2016
    Final Fantasy Record Keeper

Only from whatever next game "Yozora" is teasing at, to better set it apart from other past and future games as a "bridge" between KH3 and 4, setting up for Sora's miraculous return at the beginning of the new trilogy.

The next game should have only characters from FF7/8/10/13/maybe 15, like Riku getting Cloud, Squall, Yuna, and Lightning together in a search party to save Sora.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast