Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Organization Member SuperSaiyanSora's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Default Re: I'm alone upset after the video dunkview?

Quote Originally Posted by kaseykockroach View Post
    Why does it matter what other people think of the game? It's not as though it's under any threat of selling poorly! Isn't whether or not you like it all that matters?
    Exactly. Like for me, I felt KH3 was a 8.5-9/10. I don't give a diddly WHO agrees or disagrees, I enjoyed the game, I sat there and played through the game myself and that's the only thing that matters.

If you loved the game, then don't let that make you love the game any less.

Nobody
    Registered
    Dec 2018
    Playing
    None

To be fair to Dunkey the game was bad in a lot of ways, the best thing about it in my opinion is that it has concluded the story in a brilliant way and also expanded the universe to linking it with unionx.

Disney shackled it to be completely honest. From this point on the story would do well if it associated itself less with Disney and more with Square Enix properties...

Registered
    Nov 2016
    None

Quote Originally Posted by alexis.anagram View Post
    This is why I appreciated his review, honestly. So many of the ones out there hyperfocus on the gameplay and the pretty worlds, which are a selling point in their own right, but then they just minimize the problems with the plotting and dialogue or relegate them to one minor bit of commentary. It's not minor, it's a crucial factor which should be taken into account when offering a perspective on what the game has to offer. I'm not familiar with dunkview, but his review really reflected, in summary, the feelings I have about the game, and a 1/5 score is appropriately hyperbolic given the extent to which this game manages to deflate all the build up within the franchise.
    In other words you like the review because it gives awareness to the bad story/and or you feel as passionately angry/disgusted at the game as he does?

Even with some good moments in the story, It's bad overall and they really need to do something moving forward.
    But to me it just doesn't take away from how much I enjoyed playing the game. And for that reason the video isn't something I personally relate with.
    Last edited by LostArtist; February 11, 2019 at 08:11 AM. Reason: missing word/grammar

Nobody
    Registered
    May 2009

I am! And that's for a very specific reason.

I only have few friends that are into gaming, and all of them were never into KH (they never played one and have no idea what it is about) because they think it's too childish and so on. I didn't mind because everyone should consume what they want.
    After KH3 released, one friend suddenly told me that KH3 seems to get praised a lot and that the game looks interesting to him and he is making thoughts about to buy the game sometimes later.
    I was actually excited when I heard that. I was happy that someone I knew wanted to give the series a fair chance. And if he would enjoy the game, I would in addition also have someone to discuss about the series.

However, that friend saw Dunkey's review now and refuses to buy the game. Not only that, he is shitting on the game even if he's repeatedly telling me that he has no idea what the games and the gameplay are about.

I'm not sure if I'm more mad at Dunkey or at my friend that lets himself influence so easily.
    I have no problem with reviewers, but I have a problem with people/reviewers fans that take everything what is being said as fact and are not capable to form an own opinion or doing critical thinking. On top of that, many of these people are also finding enjoyment in attacking and shitting on the series and fans, as if disliking the game is objectively correct (because their reviewer said so) and if you like it you're abnormal.

You're Too Late. KeybladeLordSora's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2015
    In The Limbo Between Keybois and Cuhrayzee Wacky Woohoo Pizza Hobos
    The Bizarre Adventure of life.

The post above me made me realize something.

At this point, having your own opinion on something mean absolutely nothing. If a big Youtube guy hates it, then anyone who watches it, even if they have no real knowledge of what they're talking about, will hate it too, because big yootoob guy hates it.

Registered
    Jan 2014
    ...a brand new world, one heart at a time.
    KINGDOM HEARTS III

Quote Originally Posted by KeybladeLordSora View Post

At this point, having your own opinion on something mean absolutely nothing. If a big Youtube guy hates it, then anyone who watches it, even if they have no real knowledge of what they're talking about, will hate it too, because big yootoob guy hates it.
    I think it has more to do with living in a time where people hype and bandwagon into subjects and me Marketing Slave, and not actually getting out of the issue in a bit and thinking for yourself.

Nobody
    Registered
    Jan 2017
    None

videogamedunkey's videos are mostly for entertainment purposes so it really shouldn't be taken too seriously

Registered
    Jul 2017
    None

Quote Originally Posted by KeybladeLordSora View Post

If you go to Skyward Wing's twitter you'll see that his opinion has intoxicated most of his fanbase. It's kinda sad to see that absolutely no one on that twitter uses 5% of their brain cells to like or dislike something with their own opinion.

On-Topic: I've never liked Dunkey. Always thought he was deeply boring forcing himself to be "the funny guy that hates jrpgs". This review definitely doesn't change the way I view him.

Registered
    Dec 2011
    Playing
    with time, as a symptom

Quote Originally Posted by LostArtist View Post
    In other words you like the review because it gives awareness to the bad story/and or you feel as passionately angry/disgusted at the game as he does?
    Yeah, pretty much. I'm just tired of the narrative every glowing review leans into that, "Longtime fans will be rewarded." Like, no. I played every side game and liked or loved them (up until DDD killed the magic) and this game trashes all of that, from top to bottom. It's nice to know that the honeymoon period is over and more critical takes are getting published.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballad of Caius View Post
    I think it has more to do with living in a time where people hype and bandwagon into subjects and me Marketing Slave, and not actually getting out of the issue in a bit and thinking for yourself.
    Exactly, if people are upset that a bad review could shift the determination of a consumer who's on the fence about making the purchase, they can thank the entire marketing industry for how it conditions people to think as consumers.

Registered
    Nov 2016
    None

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyRoxy View Post
    On-Topic: I've never liked Dunkey. Always thought he was deeply boring forcing himself to be "the funny guy that hates jrpgs". This review definitely doesn't change the way I view him.
    Yea, this being 'entertainment' or something that's supposed to be funny really doesn't change the substance of the video or my opinion of it. It's still being completely negative about kh3, and I still dislike and don't relate to it overall.

Yeah, pretty much. I played every side game and liked or loved them (up until DDD killed the magic) and this game trashes all of that, from top to bottom.
    ok good to confirm. This series clearly isn't giving you anything anymore, I think it would be best expecting the absolute least from it going forward so you don't get so heartbroken.

Registered
    Jan 2014
    KINGDOM HEARTS III

Exactly, if people are upset that a bad review could shift the determination of a consumer who's on the fence about making the purchase, they can thank the entire marketing industry for how it conditions people to think as consumers.
    Right. People are more inclined to research a product before buying it via reviews. It's why everyone and their mother does review videos. Hell, even unboxings are a sort of review.

Unversed
    Registered
    Jul 2015
    Playing
    None

Well, I think he's right about a lot of things. Fans of the Kingdom Hearts series is more like a niche kind of thing. He's probably comparing Kingdom Hearts to his experience with other games. I'm not a gamer so I don't have a lot of games to compare Kingdom Hearts to but I've always felt Kingdom Hearts was an average kind of game and the only reason why it got so big was because the niche crowd just happened to be unusually larger than normal.

Don't take it personally.

Registered
    Jan 2014
    KINGDOM HEARTS III

Quote Originally Posted by jahob000 View Post
    Well, I think he's right about a lot of things. Fans of the Kingdom Hearts series is more like a niche kind of thing. He's probably comparing Kingdom Hearts to his experience with other games. I'm not a gamer so I don't have a lot of games to compare Kingdom Hearts to but I've always felt Kingdom Hearts was an average kind of game and the only reason why it got so big was because the niche crowd just happened to be unusually larger than normal.

Don't take it personally.
    Five million copies sold isn't a niche market.

Registered
    Sep 2015
    XENOBLADE CHRONICLES, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, PROJECT X ZONE 2

Quote Originally Posted by kaseykockroach View Post
    Why does it matter what other people think of the game? It's not as though it's under any threat of selling poorly! Isn't whether or not you like it all that matters?
    Exactly. Kingdom Hearts is clearly "the CW show" of JRPG's, you either roll with the wackiness or get repulsed by it. This is a series written by video game developers and not television or movie screenplay writers, so there's clearly going to be some questionable decisions made with such a storytelling driven narrative. Add to the fact that it gets made in Japanese before being dubbed.

As I mentioned ages ago, if you find Kingdom Hearts III to be fun then it's done the fundamental job that it was supposed to do.

unwavering duck pilot Launchpad's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    hopscotch with your dad

dunkey's review wasn't wrong, but things he finds to be negative, I find to be positive. KH's stupidity has really become a point of great enjoyment for me. I'm not really grieving the loss of KH1's simplicity anymore. At this point, go as far off the rails as possible (save for getting rid of Donald and Goofy). If it's going to be convoluted, the least it can do is be so convoluted that it's entertaining, which DDD and KH3 achieve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast