Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutscene Worry

Registered
    Nov 2017
    Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 and Final Fantasy XV

Default Re: Cutscene Worry

I hated that too, but can you imagine KH1 Sora with Unreal Engine 4 Graphics.

Registered
    Jun 2017
    KH 1.5+2.5 HD, FF 9, and Far Cry 3

Quote Originally Posted by SuperstarSaga08 View Post
    I hated that too, but can you imagine KH1 Sora with Unreal Engine 4 Graphics.
    >inb4 KH remakes using Unreal 4 in Kingdom Hearts 1.6, 2.6, and 2.9 editions and they improve and make playable 358/2 and re:Coded and make a game out of Back Cover.

Registered
    Dec 2017
    KHUx, myself

Quote Originally Posted by Launchpad View Post
    If Data Sora appears, he should retain his PS2 style appearance.
    Ah. A Porygon amongst Pokémon, then.

On topic, I liked the old-style flashbacks because, as Alja said, it really showed how far the KH graphics had come. Except I'm also biased towards the old style and miss it dearly, so there's that too. In any case they'll probably remake the flashbacks in KH3, because I doubt they'll use that many. If I recall correctly 0.2 only had 2 or 3 of them, and that only felt like a lot because it's so short. In such a huge game as KH3, I'm sure it'll be fine.

unwavering duck pilot Launchpad's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    hopscotch with your dad

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Ah. A Porygon amongst Pokémon, then.

On topic, I liked the old-style flashbacks because, as Alja said, it really showed how far the KH graphics had come. Except I'm also biased towards the old style and miss it dearly, so there's that too. In any case they'll probably remake the flashbacks in KH3, because I doubt they'll use that many. If I recall correctly 0.2 only had 2 or 3 of them, and that only felt like a lot because it's so short. In such a huge game as KH3, I'm sure it'll be fine.
    0.2 had six or seven PSP flashback montages.

Registered
    Dec 2011
    Playing
    with time, as a symptom

I'm hoping KH3 doesn't rely on flashbacks much if at all since they often break narrative momentum, and in KH3's case it would feel like retracing story elements we've all been through more than enough times. I'd like to see KH3 maintain a sense of uncompromising narrative self-determination: anything rooted in the events or ideas of previous installments should be spoken for within the story of KH3 itself and made clear via context and characters, allowing for the avoidance of heavy-handed techniques like flashbacks and exposition.

That said, it seems likely based on Nomura's recent comments that scenes which don't need a playable component to them (like Kairi training with Lea) will be movie-styled (which I assume to mean like the opening/ending?), so that might apply to flashbacks as well? It would make sense to do them that way, since it would give them a cinematic flair and maybe make them more interesting to (re)watch than just re-compositing the old footage from past games.

Registered
    Jun 2017

Quote Originally Posted by alexis.anagram View Post
    I'm hoping KH3 doesn't rely on flashbacks much if at all since they often break narrative momentum, and in KH3's case it would feel like retracing story elements we've all been through more than enough times. I'd like to see KH3 maintain a sense of uncompromising narrative self-determination: anything rooted in the events or ideas of previous installments should be spoken for within the story of KH3 itself and made clear via context and characters, allowing for the avoidance of heavy-handed techniques like flashbacks and exposition.

That said, it seems likely based on Nomura's recent comments that scenes which don't need a playable component to them (like Kairi training with Lea) will be movie-styled (which I assume to mean like the opening/ending?), so that might apply to flashbacks as well? It would make sense to do them that way, since it would give them a cinematic flair and maybe make them more interesting to (re)watch than just re-compositing the old footage from past games.
    Even though Kingdom Hearts never did that mid game like Final Fantasy that'd be awesome.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Monster Hunter World, KHX

To be fair, there's some shows, movies, or games that present flashbacks in a specific style to make it clear to the viewer that this happened before the present moment, and some forms of media also do it for a thematic purpose. As an example, Battlestar Galactiga is a show about the last remnants of humanity trying to survive in space(bleak present), but when they show flashbacks to life before most of humanity was wiped out (happier times), there's a certain ethereal quality because the sky is super bright and that gives everything a washed out look, which would reflect that this is how the characters remember that event as compared to their current circumstances. I suppose there's also less natural light in space and this effect communicates that as well but you probably get my point.

In the case of Aqua in .2, you could argue that because she's been in the realm of darkness for 10 years, this is bound to have adverse effects on her. The jarring contrast in visual style reflects how she remembers these events from so long ago.

Registered
    Jun 2010
    None

The interview mentions that such scenes will be pre-rendered to cut down on load times since the locations those scenes take place in aren't playable. Expect scenes comparable to what we see with Lea and Kairi in the trailer, since that's essentially what they're talking about.

Registered
    Dec 2011
    Playing
    with time, as a symptom

Quote Originally Posted by TruestSyn View Post
    Even though Kingdom Hearts never did that mid game like Final Fantasy that'd be awesome.
    Yeah that was my thought exactly, tbh I never understood why FF games got cool pre-rendered cinematics for key scenes but KH didn't. Been this nasty little thorn in my side for over a decade haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    The interview mentions that such scenes will be pre-rendered to cut down on load times since the locations those scenes take place in aren't playable. Expect scenes comparable to what we see with Lea and Kairi in the trailer, since that's essentially what they're talking about.
    Thanks for the clarification, that's what I thought he was referring to. It would make sense to use the same technique for flashbacks (if implemented) since they obviously won't need to be playable either, but it's not like there's any confirmation of that.

Registered
    Dec 2017
    KHUx, myself

Quote Originally Posted by Launchpad View Post
    0.2 had six or seven PSP flashback montages.
    My bad. I haven't replayed 0.2 in a while besides going through completed files to treasure hunt and do the mirror boss rush. In any case though, since KH3 will be a much bigger and longer game, I think flashbacks won't be as necessary because they will either a) implement a system similar to DDD's text synopses (worst case scenario imo) or b) just have the characters spell it out. I doubt they really wanted to put in the old flashbacks, so if they do choose to put any in, like a lot of us have said, they'll reanimate them.

Quote Originally Posted by drumstickwielder View Post
    To be fair, there's some shows, movies, or games that present flashbacks in a specific style to make it clear to the viewer that this happened before the present moment,
    Didn't the 0.2 flashbacks have a grainy filter applied to them, like they were played through an old film camera? That was also a reason I didn't mind them so much.

Registered
    Jun 2017

Yeah that was my thought exactly, tbh I never understood why FF games got cool pre-rendered cinematics for key scenes but KH didn't. Been this nasty little thorn in my side for over a decade haha.
    I kinda liked it, it was a lot nicer for the flow that they didn't interrupt gameplay with way better graphics. Immersion was never altered. However, since the game will look like a pre rendered cutscene now It'll be nice again to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Didn't the 0.2 flashbacks have a grainy filter applied to them, like they were played through an old film camera? That was also a reason I didn't mind them so much.
    Yes it did, and there was a black sorta banner around the screen, the corners were kinda like blobs that stretched out to each side.

Registered
    Jul 2014
    Kingdom Hearts 2

I found it to be very off. Mixing two completely different engines was jarring. Plus some found them to be rather manipulative to viewer. Indicating that now is a time to be sad. But people interpreted it differently.

Registered
    Nov 2017
    Trying to adjust with today's current hardships while having some of my own: the game.

If Nomura opts not to use the newer engine (which I wouldn’t mind, since that’d probably push the game back further), he could at least use the old grainy black and white effect that used to be in movies (old Mickey Mouse shorts, for example).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12