Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register


REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
  1. #46
    Dream Eater
    Registered
    Jan 2015
    Age
    20
    Posts
    317
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Off topic...but why is Alice a PoH...she's not even a princess period...? Nomura could've made Ariel a captive and have her taken by Ursula. It would make sense because....SHE'S ATLEAST A PRINCESS!

  2. #47
    KHI Site Staff Oracle Spockanort's Avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Age
    27
    Posts
    31,086
    Gender

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by disney233 View Post
    Off topic...but why is Alice a PoH...she's not even a princess period...? Nomura could've made Ariel a captive and have her taken by Ursula. It would make sense because....SHE'S ATLEAST A PRINCESS!
    Because Ariel had fins and how would she have been in the scenes with the others? Ursula at least had “legs” lol. I don’t think a PoH needs to be a Disney Princess, anyways. Kairi isn’t a princess, but she is a Princess of Heart.

  3. #48
    Organization Member Rodin's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    496
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by disney233 View Post
    Off topic...but why is Alice a PoH...she's not even a princess period...? Nomura could've made Ariel a captive and have her taken by Ursula. It would make sense because....SHE'S ATLEAST A PRINCESS!
    To set up Kairi's place and show that the princesses don't have to be literal princesses.
    Last edited by Rodin; February 14, 2018 at 11:52 PM.

  4. #49
    Nobody
    Registered
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    2
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    If we can remember that characters are elements of a story (I'm not here to bash her or anything)


    The writers have never found her to be important enough to worry with, so she isn’t. Don't expect her to surprise you, their thoughts won’t spontaneously change. They'll throw a dog a bone in 3 and she'll be done with.

    The trio of Sora, Riku, & Kairi make more sense if it's a duo of Sora & Riku, with a girl who's in their friend group but not especially close.

    The last time she had any relevance, KH2, look at the difference between Sora's reunion with Kairi vs. Riku, and at the very end Sora & Riku are hanging out on the island without her. She has to find them because of the letter. They aren't three best friends.

    They haven't been present as a trio since we thought there was only one keyblade wielder. The writers just find her inherently less interesting than Sora & Riku.

  5. #50
    Bronze Member
    Registered
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,319
    Gender

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    I think when they knew Alice's original VA was okay with reprising her roles after DECADES they decided she was so baller she needed to be important.
    Jokes aside, Alice is a really important character in the history of Disney, some of Walt's first short movies were set in Alice in Wonderland context if I'm not mistaken (and we're talking about way before Oswald and all the other Disney characters aside from a really primitive and still a bear Pete). The only one I could see being a contender was Ariel, but as it was said already she had phisiological problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Spockanort View Post
    Because Ariel had fins and how would she have been in the scenes with the others? Ursula at least had “legs” lol. I don’t think a PoH needs to be a Disney Princess, anyways. Kairi isn’t a princess, but she is a Princess of Heart.
    I still remember when fans theorized Kairi was indeed a real Princess and/because she was related to Ansem the Wise.

  6. #51
    Dream Eater Alja's Avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    28
    Posts
    269
    Gender
    Playing
    KHUX

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by here&gone View Post
    The last time she had any relevance, KH2, look at the difference between Sora's reunion with Kairi vs. Riku
    Oh Jesus, this again?
    Let me recap. For the majority of the game, Kairi was blissfully safe on her island and Sora knew that. Only later on, he found out about her being kidnapped and it throws him off immediately. Once he meets Saix, he even begs him on his knees and since people tend to forget or ignore it, this is a FREAKING HUGE THING in Japan, like he's SUPER lowering himself in front of Saix there (so much Donald and Goofy are shocked), all to get Kairi free.
    No, he didn't cry when they got together again. Why would he? Of course he was happy she was safe, but dang, Saix basically told him they wouldn't touch her if he kept collecting hearts. And he felt guilty. Guilty for not returning, guilty for not having brought Riku back home, probably guilty about going missing for a full year. He can't face her because of that and it's only when Kairi hugs him and shows him it's okay that he can embrace her back - and they stay in that embrace for some time.

    And Riku? Sora heard snippets here and there about how Riku might have been somewhere, but it's all just his hopes. Even worse, Mickey refuses to talk about Riku multiple times. Sora thought he's dead, of course he's going to cry thinking about how his friend of over 10 years is miraculously alive after all!

    TL;DR: One he thought was safe, the other he thought was dead. MAKES SENSE FOR HIM TO CRY OVER ONLY ONE OF THEM.
    Doesn't mean that their friendship is any less valid or something, even though SE diddlys Kairi's involvement up every single time, they did make clear that those three are friends. Seriously, anybody doubting that Sora cares deeply for Kairi (no matter whether platonically or romantically) in KH2 is just willingly ignoring the signs because Sora thinks as often of her as he sees clues and gets hope for Riku having survived.

    Now back to the topic:

    I'm still hoping she'll be a trump card. Xehanort expects seven Guardians of Light to protect the seven Princesses of Heart and gets surprised that one of them is actually a Guardian. Being a person with 100 backup plans, this doesn't throw him off for long, but it might buy the gang some kind of advantage, not to mention we'll finally get keyblade wielding Kairi again, something we've been waiting for far too long.

    KH neglected her for way too long and to be honest, it would have been easy for them to continue neglecting her. That's why I still have my hopes up for her in KH3 because you don't tease her return in DDD if you're totally unwilling to involve her. They simply could have shown her being protected in Yen Sid's tower and wishing Sora and Riku good luck on their respective journeys, there was no reason to bring up her Keyblade again if they didn't plan for her to use it and finally be involved.

  7. #52
    Unversed Rinney's Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    lost at sea
    Age
    24
    Posts
    195
    Gender
    Playing
    with myself (jk...with you)

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    I haven't kept up with this thread but I have a head-canon that I don't see very much: what if Kairi is a bigger deal than we think in terms of Radiant Garden? Like, when her grandmother tells her "the story" they're in a huge library it seems like. Could this not have been the castle? I don't think we ever saw the castle beyond the lab. I've always wondered if she was related to Ansem the Wise or someone important. He sees her in KH2, or at least he should have, she was standing right there. But she wouldn't remember him so it wouldn't make sense for him to point anything out. And if she is somehow tied to Radiant Garden's castle, then she would have met/known Even, Ienzo, Aeleus, and Dilan, if not Braig. I think this has the potential to be interesting if that comes true. Sidenote: with an increased examination of RG, we might find out why the diddly Isa and Lea wanted to break into the castle way back in BBS.

  8. #53
    Bronze Member Tartarus's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,803
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Spockanort View Post
    Because Ariel had fins and how would she have been in the scenes with the others? Ursula at least had “legs” lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkosOverlord View Post
    The only one I could see being a contender was Ariel, but as it was said already she had phisiological problems
    If only there’d been a witch with powers to transform a mermaid into a human around…. ;P

    I always thought it would have fit the KH1 story for Ursula to turn Ariel into a human and then send her to HB during that whole monologue, “Time for a little journey, to the dark world of the Heartless!” I’m guessing the real reason against making Ariel a PoH was that 1.) Ariel was a party member (the only female party member in KH1) and they didn’t want to remove her partway through the world. Another reason is probably that they made Atlantica one of the optional worlds (likely because of the swimming controls), which meant a necessary story event for the HB world couldn’t happen there.

  9. #54
    ~Living in a dream~ Moonlight Aqua's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kingdom Hearts, Texas
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,427
    Gender
    Playing
    Pokemon: Moon

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alja View Post
    Oh Jesus, this again?
    Let me recap. For the majority of the game, Kairi was blissfully safe on her island and Sora knew that. Only later on, he found out about her being kidnapped and it throws him off immediately. Once he meets Saix, he even begs him on his knees and since people tend to forget or ignore it, this is a FREAKING HUGE THING in Japan, like he's SUPER lowering himself in front of Saix there (so much Donald and Goofy are shocked), all to get Kairi free.
    No, he didn't cry when they got together again. Why would he? Of course he was happy she was safe, but dang, Saix basically told him they wouldn't touch her if he kept collecting hearts. And he felt guilty. Guilty for not returning, guilty for not having brought Riku back home, probably guilty about going missing for a full year. He can't face her because of that and it's only when Kairi hugs him and shows him it's okay that he can embrace her back - and they stay in that embrace for some time.

    And Riku? Sora heard snippets here and there about how Riku might have been somewhere, but it's all just his hopes. Even worse, Mickey refuses to talk about Riku multiple times. Sora thought he's dead, of course he's going to cry thinking about how his friend of over 10 years is miraculously alive after all!

    TL;DR: One he thought was safe, the other he thought was dead. MAKES SENSE FOR HIM TO CRY OVER ONLY ONE OF THEM.
    Doesn't mean that their friendship is any less valid or something, even though SE diddlys Kairi's involvement up every single time, they did make clear that those three are friends. Seriously, anybody doubting that Sora cares deeply for Kairi (no matter whether platonically or romantically) in KH2 is just willingly ignoring the signs because Sora thinks as often of her as he sees clues and gets hope for Riku having survived.

    Now back to the topic:

    I'm still hoping she'll be a trump card. Xehanort expects seven Guardians of Light to protect the seven Princesses of Heart and gets surprised that one of them is actually a Guardian. Being a person with 100 backup plans, this doesn't throw him off for long, but it might buy the gang some kind of advantage, not to mention we'll finally get keyblade wielding Kairi again, something we've been waiting for far too long.

    KH neglected her for way too long and to be honest, it would have been easy for them to continue neglecting her. That's why I still have my hopes up for her in KH3 because you don't tease her return in DDD if you're totally unwilling to involve her. They simply could have shown her being protected in Yen Sid's tower and wishing Sora and Riku good luck on their respective journeys, there was no reason to bring up her Keyblade again if they didn't plan for her to use it and finally be involved.

    This 100%, not only that we had COM that showed how much Kairi meant to Sora and some parts of KH2 show how much likes her. Sora is a man with a goal, and he's that type of personality that while yes, he loves Kairi, he knows she's okay and right now finding his best friend is more important than romance. He can worry about that when everything is done and over with and he can relax.

  10. #55

    Registered
    Jun 2015
    Age
    23
    Posts
    5,456

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    In regard to the "reunion" scene:
    Yes, Sora had more time to be worried about Riku, but also less reason to believe that he was in real danger. The Emperor tells him that Riku came to warn him, which is only one of the occasions that suggest that Riku is generally alright, just "on his own". The only thing really worth worrying about is the fact that he wears an Org XIII coat, but so does Mickey, so...eh?
    Sure, Mickey tells Sora he "can't tell", but he also lets it slip that Riku asked him to do so, and it makes Sora rather cheerful and positive, so saying that "he thinks he's dead" goes a bit far imo.
    Kairi, on the other hand, was kidnapped by the Organization, so I don't understand why her being safe for the majority of the time would explain why Sora is less worried about her (let alone less happy to see her again. He's seen neither her nor Riku for the past year). If Sora has even five brain cells, he doesn't give a flying damn about what Saix promises to do (or not to do) to Kairi unless he sees it with his own eyes, so that, too, doesn't really explain anything to me.

    I'm not saying that the reunion scene explicitely shows that she was less relevant in any regard, but it's just a continuation of how the game (and the whole series) has trouble properly including her into the plot and making scenes with her impactful.

  11. #56
    Organization Member Rodin's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    496
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rinney View Post
    I haven't kept up with this thread but I have a head-canon that I don't see very much: what if Kairi is a bigger deal than we think in terms of Radiant Garden? Like, when her grandmother tells her "the story" they're in a huge library it seems like. Could this not have been the castle? I don't think we ever saw the castle beyond the lab. I've always wondered if she was related to Ansem the Wise or someone important. He sees her in KH2, or at least he should have, she was standing right there. But she wouldn't remember him so it wouldn't make sense for him to point anything out. And if she is somehow tied to Radiant Garden's castle, then she would have met/known Even, Ienzo, Aeleus, and Dilan, if not Braig. I think this has the potential to be interesting if that comes true. Sidenote: with an increased examination of RG, we might find out why the diddly Isa and Lea wanted to break into the castle way back in BBS.
    Alot of fanfics do connect her to Ansem the Wise as extended family but one fanfic i liked just made her grandma the cleaning lady.

    BBS explained that away as just curiosity.

  12. #57
    Bronze Member
    Registered
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,319
    Gender

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by VoidGear. View Post
    In regard to the "reunion" scene:
    Yes, Sora had more time to be worried about Riku, but also less reason to believe that he was in real danger. The Emperor tells him that Riku came to warn him, which is only one of the occasions that suggest that Riku is generally alright, just "on his own". The only thing really worth worrying about is the fact that he wears an Org XIII coat, but so does Mickey, so...eh?
    Sure, Mickey tells Sora he "can't tell", but he also lets it slip that Riku asked him to do so, and it makes Sora rather cheerful and positive, so saying that "he thinks he's dead" goes a bit far imo.
    Kairi, on the other hand, was kidnapped by the Organization, so I don't understand why her being safe for the majority of the time would explain why Sora is less worried about her (let alone less happy to see her again. He's seen neither her nor Riku for the past year). If Sora has even five brain cells, he doesn't give a flying damn about what Saix promises to do (or not to do) to Kairi unless he sees it with his own eyes, so that, too, doesn't really explain anything to me.

    I'm not saying that the reunion scene explicitely shows that she was less relevant in any regard, but it's just a continuation of how the game (and the whole series) has trouble properly including her into the plot and making scenes with her impactful.
    See, this is another point I'm hesitant to discuss since I truly believe it boils down once again on personal opinions and readings of events and characters.
    I could, for example, say that yes, Kairi was kidnapped, but Sora was able to make a bridge to the Organization's castle due to their hearts sensing each other, so he knew she was relatively okay. On the other hand, Riku was still MIA and alongside Mickey and the Emperor's kind of reassuring statements, he also had Saix tell him "not to end up like Riku". And Xemnas says that he should ask Mickey about Riku hinting the latter might be hiding something from him: obviously Sora could tell Mickey wasn't hiding something as tragic as Riku's death, but still... doubt and mystery can be powerful foes, especially on an emotional level.

    But me saying that only means I decided to read more into these events rather than others, it doesn't prove your own vision "wrong" or anything.
    This is making me wonder... perhaps KH II tried to paint Riku and Kairi as two different kinds of "friend in danger" in order to appeal to as many people as possible.
    Y'know, even if this was the case all the issues about badly told narrative and lack of Kairi's character are still there, but at the very least this could stop all the arguments about which between her and Riku's situation was "better": they were just different and emphasized by different events and fears.

  13. #58
    Unversed Rinney's Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    lost at sea
    Age
    24
    Posts
    195
    Gender
    Playing
    with myself (jk...with you)

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    BBS explained that away as just curiosity.
    Explained what as curiosity..? Sorry I'm tired xD

    I feel like there has to be a reason why she's a PoH, not just to show they didn't have to be actual princesses. We already have Alice.

  14. #59
    Organization Member Rodin's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    496
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rinney View Post
    Explained what as curiosity..? Sorry I'm tired xD

    I feel like there has to be a reason why she's a PoH, not just to show they didn't have to be actual princesses. We already have Alice.
    BBS explained Lea and Isa's sneaking into the castle as just youthful curiousity and one day they just got unlucky as the heartless attacked.

    With Kairi she could have a greater purpose as a PoH but I'm doubtful. I think she's a PoH because it gave the initial story a main conflict and it just stuck around.

  15. #60
    Unversed Rinney's Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Location
    lost at sea
    Age
    24
    Posts
    195
    Gender
    Playing
    with myself (jk...with you)

    Default Re: What purpose does Kairi serve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    BBS explained Lea and Isa's sneaking into the castle as just youthful curiousity and one day they just got unlucky as the heartless attacked.

    With Kairi she could have a greater purpose as a PoH but I'm doubtful. I think she's a PoH because it gave the initial story a main conflict and it just stuck around.
    Yeah, but we don't know that for 100% sure yet since it's literally the only time they mention it.

    I'm hopeful that her being a PoH has more meaning than that but I'm also cynical so I guess if they do explain it more I'll be pleasantly surprised.

 

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •