Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register


REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Sign's lackey Chaser's Avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    22
    Posts
    19,477
    Gender

    Default Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    I see this a lot whenever I tweet something positive about Kingdom Hearts 3 launching in 2018. A bunch of people blow up the mentions saying that the game will be delayed, we're fools for thinking it will come on time etc. But I feel there's no basis for this kind of mentality? In fact, we should be thinking the opposite because of just how much we've seen of the game.

    Let's review some of the facts:

    KH3 did suffer from some in-development issues in 2014 when they changed engines from Luminous to Unreal. The process took a few months, and it was a decision made by Square Enix executives:

    “There was a decision made to change to an external [engine]...Unreal Engine 4,” he said. “So we switched over to that. Unfortunately there was a bit of time that needed to be rewinded and started over. So there was a bit of a setback there, but it was a decision that the company had to make, so it was inevitable.”

    We learnt about the swap to Unreal Engine 4 in October 2014. In December 2014, Tai Yasue said that production on KH3 was now moving forward again.

    6 months later we got the epic E3 2015 trailer, which had story teases from Xehanort and Eraqus, as well as showing off the epic scale of Olympus and a small section around Rapunzel's tower.

    Things got a bit quiet after that, and understandably so. We didn't get much in the 2015 Jump Festa trailer as it was just an extended version of the E3 2015 trailer, and the focus was on marketing Kingdom Hearts 2.8.

    Due to the FFXV delay, KH2.8 was delayed and whatever winter news was planned for KH3 was either delayed as well or canceled.

    Instead they opted for a big reveal at the Los Angeles Orchestra even in June 2017 with a trailer that almost focused entirely on Olympus Coliseum, and we know that the scale of this world is MASSIVE!

    We also got a look at two separate cutscenes - one with Maleficent and Pete talking with Hades, and another set in Twilight Town with Xemnas taunting Sora.

    One month later not only did we get another quick look at some gameplay in Olympus and Twilight Town at D23 2017, but we also got an extended look at the Toy Story world.

    Featuring a few cutscenes that were spliced together, we also got a look at gameplay that went from Andy's room, to outside of his house, all the way to Galaxy Toys.

    In both of these trailers we got a look at a functioning UI, various battle systems including style changes, new Keyblade designs, situation commands, and gimmicks such as the rail grinding in Olympus and the Giga Robot battles in Toy Story.

    Nomura did a few interviews around then as well. He said that, as of July 2017, Toy Story had been in a functioning, showable state for a while but advertising and other factors prevented him from showing it off. He also wanted to lift the curtain back on Big Hero 6 because the last time they talked about the world (D23 2015), they only had concept art. It was also confirmed to have been the last world chosen to be included in the game.

    From August 2015 to July 2017 they had been working on Big Hero 6 and as of July 2017 it was in a state where they wanted to show it off. That's big for a world that they hadn't worked on much under 2 years prior.

    Nomura revealed that there would be a little break from KH3 news after D23 2017, and we all expect the next showing to be at D23 Japan because what else could they show at the Kingdom Hearts Fan Event? He also said that when they come back to reveal more information about the game, he wants to go in depth with on the battle system and how levelling up works in this game.

    We also got a look at when we can expect KH3 to launch. 2018 was revealed as the year when the game would be in our hands, but from that moment on people were incredibly skeptical but this is where I get lost.

    We have seen two massive worlds that are completely playable with working UI and systems. We have confirmation that other worlds are ready to be shown but have been held back. We have story being teased out to us, but not enough to spoil us on what to expect. We have boss battles being shown to us (Rock Titan and the mid-level boss the Rock Troll).

    I sort of can understand if someone believes the game might be delayed because they haven't shown much from the game, but I just feel that since we've seen a lot of the game in a working, playable state, that there shouldn't be anyone screaming that it will be delayed out of 2018.

    If you're one of these people who believes a delay is possible, please explain to me why. I'd love to understand your reasons as to why you think the game might not launch next year.
       

  2. #2
    Assbutt VoidGear.'s Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    22
    Posts
    5,000
    Gender
    Playing
    trying to understand how the concept of "too much Supernatural" is supposed to work

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    I feel like this "it'll never release anyway!11" mentality is just...I don't know, obligatory to some people who feel like they've been waiting "since 2006!!11". Maybe they're trying to keep their guard up and their own hopes down by telling themselves (and others) everyday that nothing should be expected - if you don't expect anything, you can't be disappointed.

    What grinds my gears about it is that people were slightly mad about the huge spoilers the BBS trailers gave away, and suddenly not showing too much isn't okay either? I personally think that they chose some excellent story-parts for the recent trailers (for example the Xemnas-Sora-scene. It was story, it was a shocker, but it was not too much and it definitely got me hooked). And I'm glad they focussed on gameplay and design to show off, even if I'm not the happiest with the gameplay from what we've seen.

  3. #3
    Nobody kaseykockroach's Avatar
    Registered
    May 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    I understand the fatigue and cynicism at this point, honestly. One can only imagine the reactions once a physical copy is at hand...

    Funny thing is, once this is out...what then? Waiting for KH3 has practically defined the fandom. I haven't especially minded the wait as I largely stopped caring about the overall narrative quite awhile ago, and am mainly just excited to hang out with Donald and Goofy again (and hey, if Namine makes an appearance of any sort, that'd be splendid too).

  4. #4
    Assbutt VoidGear.'s Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    22
    Posts
    5,000
    Gender
    Playing
    trying to understand how the concept of "too much Supernatural" is supposed to work

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaseykockroach View Post
    Funny thing is, once this is out...what then? Waiting for KH3 has practically defined the fandom. I haven't especially minded the wait as I largely stopped caring about the overall narrative quite awhile ago, and am mainly just excited to hang out with Donald and Goofy again (and hey, if Namine makes an appearance of any sort, that'd be splendid too).
    I disagree. The demand for KH3 was loud, of course, but the people who have cared for nothing but that in the last eleven years will probably be the ones who will walk off and be disappointed anyway.
    However, I can't say like I feel that KH3 has been all the fans have cared about in all this time. Sure, there's been quitethe gap on information since 3D; 0.2 didn't show that much and X/UX/Back Cover is more confusing to most people than anything, so of course the demand for something proper is large.
    What comes afterwards depends on KH3. Like, will they just do KH4 next with a new threat at hand, or will they do spin-offs for some of the rather neglected characters? Stuff like that.

  5. #5
    Heartless DraceEmpressa's Avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2017
    Age
    22
    Posts
    51
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    Pixar have allowed SE to make worlds based on their movies, as well SE has announced partnership with Marvel. I think that will affect KH3 release as well and they will reconsider worlds in KH3.

  6. #6
    Sign's lackey Chaser's Avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    22
    Posts
    19,477
    Gender

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    Quote Originally Posted by VoidGear. View Post
    I feel like this "it'll never release anyway!11" mentality is just...I don't know, obligatory to some people who feel like they've been waiting "since 2006!!11". Maybe they're trying to keep their guard up and their own hopes down by telling themselves (and others) everyday that nothing should be expected - if you don't expect anything, you can't be disappointed.
    The people who feel entitled to the game because they've been waiting since 2006 are going to be disappointed with the game no matter what. They have their own version for how it should be and have ignored the developments in the series to get there. Believing that the game will be delayed because they don't think it's ever coming is baffling because we've seen they are getting the game finished.

    Quote Originally Posted by DraceEmpressa View Post
    Pixar have allowed SE to make worlds based on their movies, as well SE has announced partnership with Marvel. I think that will affect KH3 release as well and they will reconsider worlds in KH3.
    The SE partnership with Marvel is unrelated to KH at the moment. Right now it's about an independent series of games that Square will develop.

    Why would Square reconsider the worlds announced for KH3 because of Pixar now? Toy Story was chosen years ago.

  7. #7
    Bronze Member DarkosOverlord's Avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,495
    Gender
    Playing
    Cuphead

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    Even back when the first trailers got released some people pointed out the issues and claimed the best outcome would've been no sooner than late 2018.
    I believed them then, I believe them now. Granted, none of us actually knows how the developing is going and the unthinkable can always happen, but as of now I have no reason to believe in a delay, even with all the mistrust I have for SE as of late.

    Now, if one wants to brace himself with a bit of pessimism and already preparing for a possible delay is fine in my opinion, it's just that people have no reason to yell the delay WILL happen. It's one of those memes that is becoming less of a joke and more of a creed with each passing day.

  8. #8
    Assbutt VoidGear.'s Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    22
    Posts
    5,000
    Gender
    Playing
    trying to understand how the concept of "too much Supernatural" is supposed to work

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    The people who feel entitled to the game because they've been waiting since 2006 are going to be disappointed with the game no matter what. They have their own version for how it should be and have ignored the developments in the series to get there. Believing that the game will be delayed because they don't think it's ever coming is baffling because we've seen they are getting the game finished.
    Deep down, they probably know that themselves. But as long as they scream "HAHA IT'LL NEVER RELEASE", they don't have to face the fact that they've apparently been in a fandom for more then eleven years pretending they didn't care for anything that happened in it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkosOverlord View Post
    It's one of those memes that is becoming less of a joke and more of a creed with each passing day.
    I think that is a very important point as well. It started out as a joke about both FF Versus XIII and KH3. "Haha it'll never release." "Yeah 2025 probably." And it's getting more and more...I don't know, real? To these people. Maybe they can't let go of that joke and accept that it's over. XV has released and KH3 will as well. They need to find something else to bother with. :/

  9. #9
    Nobody raccoonscity's Avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2017
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    27
    Gender
    Playing
    KH:3D (2.8); Union Cross

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    I mean, delays are always possible because something can always come up. Didn't Nomura say something like he's sure it'll release in 2018 regardless of a delay? That might mean they accounted for some "buffer" time in case it's needed, or that whatever's not ready by a certain time will become DLC/a patch (which I doubt). I feel like there would be backlash from some people if KH3 got delayed after 5 years, but a lot of fans wouldn't mind because they would rather have a great game and have been patient and supportive so far.

    I do think it's significant that we're finally seeing more than just the same few areas with slightly different gameplay and actual cutscenes with important characters. I'm certain they were saving some things for closer to the release date to help build up hype and advertise at big events.

  10. #10
    She Shoots for the Stars maryadavies's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Somewhere east of Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,232
    Gender
    Playing
    FFXIV, FF9, Animal Crossing New Leaf, KH Unchained X US

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    I think that some people believe KH3 is another Duke Nukem Forever or something, so they have to rib on it. That said, from what we've seen, I think enough progress has been made that it's prolly on track. (As for the people that think it's Duke Nukem; well. I've even met a few at a local game store.)

    I admit i'm still holding off preordering until we got solid release date but! I think it's going to release next year. When, I don't know. *goes back to playing KHUX*

  11. #11
    Bronze Member Tartarus's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2012
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,458
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    I'm still skeptical the game will actually be released next year. Sounds nice, but I won't believe it until I see it. I don't have any faith in SE at all.

  12. #12
    Sign's lackey Chaser's Avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    22
    Posts
    19,477
    Gender

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkosOverlord View Post
    Even back when the first trailers got released some people pointed out the issues and claimed the best outcome would've been no sooner than late 2018.
    I believed them then, I believe them now. Granted, none of us actually knows how the developing is going and the unthinkable can always happen, but as of now I have no reason to believe in a delay, even with all the mistrust I have for SE as of late.
    That's very true, we don't actually know how development is going. However I feel it's a sign of good faith from Square Enix for them to release 0.2 a year and a half before the release of KH3. Then again, Ground Zeroes was released about a year and a half before The Phantom Pain and we all know what a mess that was (granted, the state of the game was more of a Konami problem)


    Quote Originally Posted by raccoonscity View Post
    That might mean they accounted for some "buffer" time in case it's needed, or that whatever's not ready by a certain time will become DLC/a patch (which I doubt).
    I think a buffer is in their plans, and a sold release date won't be given if they don't actually believe they'd meet their real date so they can internally push the game back but have us all believe that it is on time. And that's fine, that doesn't worry me as it shows they know their limits and how to not get us all excited for one date and then switch it out on us for another.


    Quote Originally Posted by maryadavies View Post
    I admit i'm still holding off preordering until we got solid release date but! I think it's going to release next year. When, I don't know. *goes back to playing KHUX*
    I don't preorder a game without a set release date either, it's one of my rules for video game purchases. The second KH gets a release date, my money will go onto that bad boy :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    I'm still skeptical the game will actually be released next year. Sounds nice, but I won't believe it until I see it. I don't have any faith in SE at all.
    Can I ask why you're skeptical on SE not getting the game out in 2018?

  13. #13
    Dream eater ally. rokudamia2's Avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,502

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    For me the reason I think kh3 is being released this year is due to the increase in merchandise in the past year. Also the game at the very least is in a playable state. Based on trailers.

  14. #14
    Heartless Pokie's Avatar
    Registered
    May 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    56
    Gender
    Playing
    Tekken 7

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    I'm still skeptical the game will actually be released next year. Sounds nice, but I won't believe it until I see it. I don't have any faith in SE at all.

    It took them a decade to bring out FFXV because of development hell and the FF VII Remake is now going through development hell as well. Square at the moment is just a big struggle as they are just too ambitious and get carried away and announce their projects out just way too soon. Don't have any faith in them either. They just don't seem to learn from mistakes.

  15. #15
    Unversed Alja's Avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    27
    Posts
    103
    Gender
    Playing
    KHUX

    Default Re: Why I don't believe KH3 will be delayed.

    Quote Originally Posted by VoidGear. View Post
    It started out as a joke about both FF Versus XIII and KH3. "Haha it'll never release." "Yeah 2025 probably." And it's getting more and more...I don't know, real? To these people. Maybe they can't let go of that joke and accept that it's over. XV has released and KH3 will as well. They need to find something else to bother with. :/
    At this point, I nearly wish KH3 gets delayed because no matter how many jokes people make (jokes that honestly grind my gears really badly), they will be the ones who will be the most pissed and they would totally deserve a delay lol.

    I'm okay with jokes, I was totally on the "KH3 will never release hahahaha" train, it was funny and a meme. But now starting the "KH3 will be delayed!" 'jokes' is quite ridiculous and to be honest, it borders on disrespect in my opinion. Instead of being happy and delighted about all the new stuff we found out and the two (!) trailers we got in the span of a little over a month (!!!), people start spreading negativity instead of being happy? Like seriously, this is so unreal to me. They need to find new hobbies instead of raining on other people's parades.

    I mean I get it when people genuinely have doubts and err on the side of caution to avoid getting disappointed, but there is a difference between being cautious and downright negative (and perpetuating that negativity everywhere).

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •