Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Default Watch: How Dream Drop Distance's Opening Scene With Xehanort Was Pulled Off

A few months ago, we learnt a lot about how Kingdom Hearts II was developed, thanks to Boundary Break's video showcasing the tricks that were put into action back in 2005 to pull certain scenes off. But we now have a special treat for those who learnt about Xehanort's tiny head thanks to an interview back when Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance first launched in 2012.

Thanks to YouTubers 13th Vessel and Key to Truth, we can see how the opening scene of Dream Drop Distance, which is set a year after Birth by Sleep and 9 years before Kingdom Hearts, was pulled off.

For those who didn't know, Masashi Nakamichi was the Sub-Lead Programmer on Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance and revealed a secret only he knew about in the Ultimania for the game:

Secret of this title that only he knows: 
    In the cutscene from Xehanort's perspective that runs right after the opening of the game, we had to make his head smaller so it wouldn't show on the camera. Looking at it from another perspective you see he has a normal body with a tiny little dot of a head on top, it had me in stitches. It's such a shame I can't show you.

Now we know exactly what had him in stitches!

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross]Kingdom Hearts III and all things Kingdom Hearts

Registered
    Jun 2017
    KH 1.5+2.5 HD, FF 9, and Far Cry 3

Default Re: Watch: How Dream Drop Distance's Opening Scene With Xehanort Was Pulled Off

I watched this video, surprised to see it here as a headline, but I was laughing when I saw it. I figured it was to keep the head from being in view because I've seen that technique used a lot in other video games thanks to videos from Did You Know Gaming and other boundary breaks like Pokemon Snap.

Registered
    Feb 2018
    Kingdom Hearts 2.8

Default Re: Watch: How Dream Drop Distance's Opening Scene With Xehanort Was Pulled Off

Oh wow Rofl XD Looks to me like decapitation won't work on Xehanort in KH3!

Registered
    Feb 2008
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I laughed my freaking ass off last night at how this was done. I'm so happy we can all finally appreciate what Masashi Nakamichi and the rest of the team did.

Quote Originally Posted by TruestSyn View Post
    I watched this video, surprised to see it here as a headline, but I was laughing when I saw it. I figured it was to keep the head from being in view because I've seen that technique used a lot in other video games thanks to videos from Did You Know Gaming and other boundary breaks like Pokemon Snap.
    They did something similar with other first person camera moments, like with Jiminy Cricket in KH2, but Sora just had his neck snapped.

Registered
    Sep 2015
    Playing
    None

I have been wanting to see this for AGES ever since they told us how they did it, I'm surprised it took so many years to finally happen.

"Indeeeeeeeeeeeeed." FudgemintGuardian's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2012
    with your minds

It's even more beautiful than I imagined. ;A;

Poutymer in da house Sephiroth0812's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2010
    Dissidia NT, KH 2.5 HD Birth by Sleep FM

Pfft, I can't stop chuckling at all of this because it looks so hilarious.

It's like the shrinking process of Wonderland gets only applied to the head and that's it.

Registered
    Feb 2017
    Drakengard, KH 2.5, Spider-Man

Mininort is the result of having all the light sucked out of his and becoming a Seeker of Darkness.

"Indeeeeeeeeeeeeed." FudgemintGuardian's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2012
    with your minds

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth0812 View Post
    Pfft, I can't stop chuckling at all of this because it looks so hilarious.

It's like the shrinking process of Wonderland gets only applied to the head and that's it.
    Xehanort: "I'm back from my research on Wonderla-why is everyone laughing?"

Braig: "Your head!"

Xehanort: "My..hea-OH MY GOD!" *proceeds to stab everyone out of embarrassment*

Poutymer in da house Sephiroth0812's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2010
    Dissidia NT, KH 2.5 HD Birth by Sleep FM

Quote Originally Posted by FudgemintGuardian View Post
    Xehanort: "I'm back from my research on Wonderla-why is everyone laughing?"

Braig: "Your head!"

Xehanort: "My..hea-OH MY GOD!" *proceeds to stab everyone out of embarrassment*
    I seem to have a knack for giving you prompts to make a funny thing even funnier, lol.

It's great to have something to lighten the mood a little. ^__^

Registered
    Oct 2011
    FFXV: Comrades

Came for the chuckles, leaving with inevitable night terrors. Something about the way the neck isn't shrunk down on the body with the head makes the creepy factor skyrocket for me. It's like World of Chaos's conception. Small head is canon.

Registered
    Jul 2009

I think I missed this, but this was pretty awesome! The end part was super funny xD