Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Jan 2016
    Kh Unchained x, Mobius Final Fantasy

Default Anyone else irked a bit at 0.2?

To start off, visually and gameplay wise, the game was great. The soundtrack was also excellent and really gave some parts of the game a very creepy vibe that I really liked. Boss battles were spectacular but I still think the models are a bit "meh", but oh well.

That being said, the story left a lot to be desired.

In a previous interview with Nomura, he said that during development he hardly knew what Aqua should be talking about. He loathed writing the dialogue and it really shows at times. It was only after she meets Mickey that he stated it "gave me a chance to write some dialogue, so I felt that relief too, albeit in a different way (laughs)"

what exactly "albeit in a different way" means I'm not sure, but from what he says here, it seems as though he was more focused on churning out dialogue than expounding on the lore of the story. For instance:

"I'm sorry, the darkness, it's getting to me.."
    "oh, Hey you'll be okay."

Mickey acts borderline nonchalant at finding Aqua. Even though he hardly knew her aside from an apprentice and a prominent factor in stopping an apocalypse, you'd think he'd be a tad more thrilled.

"Gasp* Aqua, what were the boys names?"
    "They were.. Sora and Riku"
    "Oh hey guess what? They're helping me!"
    "Really?? The same boys!?!?"

Whyyyy did they have to mention Sora and Riku. This undermines the emotional impact she has when she learns all about Soras exploits as a keyblade wielder. This and the conversation she has with Terra. Why would she think he and Ventus were out saving the worlds in Blank Points when she now knows terra is somehow still trapped in darkness and ventus is still asleep?

All in all, maybe Nomura could have done a better job at conveying the urgency of saving the worlds from darkness that, in the end, undermines Aqua. But that's just me, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by NuclearCheetos15; February 5, 2017 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Typos

XxDarkness_Shadowmaster69 xX VoidGear.'s Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2015
    KH1 now. ;_; ♥

Default Re: Anyone else irked a bit at 0.2?

Yeah, everything from Destiny Islands on kinda spits a bit in Blank Points' face which is kinda sad. I don't know why Aqua couldn't have been left behind a bit earlier instead of all this "I'M ATTACKING HEARTLESS RIGHT OVER RIKU'S HEAD BUT HE'LL NEVER KNOW WUUAAAAAAAAAAH" mumbo jumbo stuff. It felt a bit forced to me, all this "we have to bring all these characters together in these scenes even though it doesn't make sense".

Registered
    Jun 2013
    None

maybe aqua thought they somehow have escaped the darkness remember blank points after kh2 took after as for aqua crying it still emotinal because she still know that sora is still going strong and soon she will be save by him

Livin' Like Larry GronoTRIGGERED's Avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2013
    The System

I feel like the only way I can feel emotionally satisfied by Blank Points anymore is if i think about it this way: Aqua is upset and crying because she just went through all that shit, so she doesn't feel secure at the moment she's talking to Ansem. I feel like if we think of the dialogue in a more realistic way that Aqua was trying to create any sort of dialogue in between her and Ansem, and it certainly couldn't have hurt to check if they've been saved anyways. That being said... Destiny Islands does kind of ruin the impact for me, I can't disagree there.

Otherwise, I thought the visuals were great. I originally thought that Mickey looked like a bumpy dinner plate instead of a mouse with a real model, but the visuals warmed up to me after a while. I generally felt satisfied with what I played (I actually thought the Terra scene was easily one of the best Kingdom Hearts scenes I've seen in several games and only added to Blank Points), but I do admit that the dialogue is... bad. The stuff from the world within is kind of good, with the phantom Aqua constantly discouraging you, but overall, even when Mickey steps in, it's not the best. The ending near Kingdom Hearts didn't bother me as much when I was playing the game as when I was watching it online, since I finally accepted that Aqua's fate was of her own choosing after saving Riku's life, but, that being said, the thing with randomly finding the Kingdom Key D behind the door and just picking it up was really stupid, and the way they explained his clothes changing was kind of a cool tidbit but overall laughably handled in the story. Also, he says that, since Sora found his keyblade on the island, the dark keyblade must be on the dark part of that island... what? Is the Kingdom Key specific to Destiny Islands? Why would he come to that conclusion? Was he planning on this the whole time? Is Kingdom Key D the only dark keyblade? What the hell is this ending?! Make it stop!

Ugh, but aside from the keyblade part, it didn't really leave me unsatisfied. The worst part of the game for me was honestly Kairi's voice acting by Alyson Stoner, it was by far the worst choice of voice actor they could have made. Alyson Stoner is only good when she's trying to tone down her bright voice with an edgy personality, she was absolutely awful as Kairi and I hope we never have to hear her voice Kairi again, for the sake of the series. Her lines were just obnoxious (that scene where she yells "WHAT?!" makes my god damn ears bleed).

Organization Member Precursor Mar's Avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2014

0.2's story (or lack thereof honestly) is in the same boat as Coded in terms of relevance.

Nothing of value happens until the end.

Registered
    Apr 2015

At least Coded didn't manage to ruin both Blank Points and the first Kingdom Hearts' ending

Registered
    Dec 2007

I heard the argument before that 0.2 "ruins" Blank Points and I don't get it. I think it fits perfectly well after watching it again.

Registered
    Sep 2016
    Persona 5

I also think the final part of 0.2 with Riku and the Door was a little... eh.
    It was the classic "we're gonna show this pivotal moment again but with a convoluted bs ex machina to make everything fit or kinda".
    Like I'm sure the Heartless attacked again in that moment, I'm sure nor Riku nor the other three heard/saw anything, I'm sure the fight immediately brought Aqua and the Heartless away from their sight.

About Blank Points, I still haven't examined the two this close, I just don't really care. I guess it showed for those who really care about Blank Points in the first place, I'm not amongst them.

Livin' Like Larry GronoTRIGGERED's Avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2013
    The System

Quote Originally Posted by DarkosOverlord View Post
    I also think the final part of 0.2 with Riku and the Door was a little... eh.
    It was the classic "we're gonna show this pivotal moment again but with a convoluted bs ex machina to make everything fit or kinda".
    Like I'm sure the Heartless attacked again in that moment, I'm sure nor Riku nor the other three heard/saw anything, I'm sure the fight immediately brought Aqua and the Heartless away from their sight.

About Blank Points, I still haven't examined the two this close, I just don't really care. I guess it showed for those who really care about Blank Points in the first place, I'm not amongst them.
    Consider yourself lucky, that was the one part of Birth by Sleep I enjoyed beginning to end and even that got ruined for me with this collection. God, Aqua deserves better games than the Birth by Sleep duo.

Organization Member Precursor Mar's Avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2014

Let be honest.

If they didn't pull this shit then nobody would buy these games.

Registered
    Nov 2016
    None

First, obviously, SPOILERS!

I'll tell you one thing that became really obvious to me. I watched the Japanese play-through and all the cut-scenes and the VA and lip syncing is unnoticeable like it should be. I start playing in English and just wow. The localization must have been hella rushed. Aqua's character has never been that expressive, so I give her that, but even the ending cut scenes with Sora and Yen-Sid were hard to watch! I can't be the only one that noticed this?

EDIT: I'm also going to add in that moment at the end with Aqua and Mickey when she offers to close the door and Mickey says the job is taken, referring to Riku closing the door. That could be a HUGE plot hole. Like what? I'm about to go full 12 year old, but did Mickey just let 2 people get locked in the Realm of Darkness when one of them COULD HAVE ESCAPED? Aqua then gets dragged back to Destiny Island by the Tide of Darkness so she couldn't have left, but that was really unlike Nomura to leave that so vaguely explained.

I'm also not a fan of the "May your heart be your guiding key". Nomura said that was something writers added, because the show seemed to need a "May the force be with you" hook. It really didn't.

After having said all that; I am still playing the game and enjoying it immensely! Money well spent!
    Last edited by Carnagewake; February 7, 2017 at 06:30 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2010
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Carnagewake View Post
    EDIT: I'm also going to add in that moment at the end with Aqua and Mickey when she offers to close the door and Mickey says the job is taken, referring to Riku closing the door. That could be a HUGE plot hole. Like what? I'm about to go full 12 year old, but did Mickey just let 2 people get locked in the Realm of Darkness when one of them COULD HAVE ESCAPED? Aqua then gets dragged back to Destiny Island by the Tide of Darkness so she couldn't have left, but that was really unlike Nomura to leave that so vaguely explained.
    This has actually been explained since the first Kingdom Hearts, and Mickey states it again before the door's sealed: only Heartless can cross the door to Darkness, Mickey didn't let anybody get locked in.

Registered
    Sep 2016
    Persona 5

Quote Originally Posted by Precursor Mar View Post
    Let be honest.

If they didn't pull this shit then nobody would buy these games.

In these situations, I seriously wonder if those who already know how the game goes see these results and what do they think.
    55% of the people said they were interested in the story of a game that already showed 99% of itself in all the scans and trailers and whose story is definitely not its strongest suit.

Registered
    Jan 2016

Quote Originally Posted by VoidGear. View Post
    It felt a bit forced to me, all this "we have to bring all these characters together in these scenes even though it doesn't make sense".
    I completely agree here. You mean to tell me Riku didn't notice any of the commotion happening right behind him? You'd think he'd hear the echo of Aquas scream and turn around.

Registered
    Jan 2016

Quote Originally Posted by gosoxtim View Post
    maybe aqua thought they somehow have escaped the darkness remember blank points after kh2 took after as for aqua crying it still emotinal because she still know that sora is still going strong and soon she will be save by him
    I see. Recall that when she meets Mickey, he tells her that 10 years have passed since the last time she saw him. Notice how she responded so distantly? She seemed irked that that amount of time has actually passed. This scene takes place after she learns that Ventus is still alseep and Terra is somehow still tied to the darkness.

Dont get me wrong, maybe she did still cling to a sliver of hope and actually thought that Terra and Ven could be the ones who were saving the worlds in Blank Points. But now that she knows that it was Sora and Riku who were there to help save them in the first place, it would have made much more sense for her to conclude that it was Sora all along.
    Last edited by NuclearCheetos15; February 17, 2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Typos

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast