Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register


REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Heartless Elfdemon's Avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    California, United States
    Posts
    74
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Over the years, I've seen many people be confused as to why Sora and Riku had to do so much more for their Mark of Mastery than Aqua and Terra.

    Aqua and Terra trained their whole life for their Mark of Mastery. Sora and Riku didn't. Sora and Riku's Mark of Mastery was also their training. Their Mark of Mastery was so much more difficult than Aqua and Terra's because they had to make up for the years of training they missed.

    The Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master isn't about whether you can save the world or not. It's about being traditionally trained. For example, becoming a black belt in Karate has nothing to do with whether you can save the world or win a fight or not. It has to do with if you have mastered the traditional skills you have been taught. The title of "Keyblade Master" is nothing more than a formality.
       

  2. #2
    Pint-and-a-Half Dandelion's Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,844
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Word, but I've not really seen many people complain about what Sora and Riku had to do since Yen Sid says later in the game that their exam isn't typical

  3. #3
    Keyblade Master DarkosOverlord's Avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Age
    22
    Posts
    720
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    I see that kind of "joke" on a daily basis, sadly.
    "lol wut Sora saved the wors 2 times and Aqua just hit sum balls"

    Even without DDD, Eraqus states pretty clearly the Mark of Mastery isn't about power or skill. Is about the heart. Which makes sense that an order born by handing Keyblades to worthy individuals would make a test to even further test this worthiness.

    (And also seeing what a single corrupted Master brought. They screwed the pooch regardless, but it further proves that Masters do need to be incorruptibles.)

  4. #4
    Dream Eater Precursor Mar's Avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Hydra's back
    Age
    20
    Posts
    378
    Gender

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Pretty sure that someone who used the Keyblade to defeat 2 versions of Xehanort is a more competent wielder than someone who couldn't even beat 1 version.

    Sora's already proved multiple times he has a worthy heart.

  5. #5
    misguided master Muke's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    4,593
    Gender

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Except Aqua was able to beat Xehanort - sure, she didn't kill him, but she did win the fight, so I don't know what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure would she have gone all out without holding back because of Terra's heart, she would have been able to beat Terranort. She knew Terra was still in there somewhere and hoped he'd be able to overcome the darkness.

    Just because he didn't die in the end, doesn't mean Aqua is not a competent wielder. Look at her in 0.2 , she certainly knows how to fight with the Keyblade and is probably also a little bit more experienced than Sora. But I'm not gonna delve into that.

  6. #6
    Keyblade Master DarkosOverlord's Avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Age
    22
    Posts
    720
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Exactly as I said: people turn everything into a contest of skills and strenght even when it's explicitly stated that's not the case.

    Sora plunged himself into the Darkness, risked to become a Xehanort vessel and "forced" Riku to brave the Darkness to save him (which Yen Sid himself acknowledged played a big part in making him a Master), Aqua was in the Darkness for 11 years and is still "sane".
    Aqua and Riku overcame the corruption of Darkness, Terra and Sora didn't.
    I don't think there should be any doubt to who has the strongest heart in that regard. Which in no shape or form has ever been translated into "to become a Master you must be able to Keyblade good".

    I could also kinda debate whether Ansem and Xemnas are as strong or fearsome as a No Name-wielder Terra-Xehanort, but let's not turn this thread into Death Battle.

  7. #7
    misguided master Muke's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    4,593
    Gender

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkosOverlord View Post
    Exactly as I said: people turn everything into a contest of skills and strenght even when it's explicitly stated that's not the case.

    Sora plunged himself into the Darkness, risked to become a Xehanort vessel and "forced" Riku to brave the Darkness to save him (which Yen Sid himself acknowledged played a big part in making him a Master), Aqua was in the Darkness for 11 years and is still "sane".
    Aqua and Riku overcame the corruption of Darkness, Terra and Sora didn't.
    I don't think there should be any doubt to who has the strongest heart in that regard. Which in no shape or form has ever been translated into "to become a Master you must be able to Keyblade good".

    I could also kinda debate whether Ansem and Xemnas are as strong or fearsome as a No Name-wielder Terra-Xehanort, but let's not turn this thread into Death Battle.
    Completely agreed with everything you said, especially about not turning this into Death Battle.

  8. #8
    Keyblade Master DarkosOverlord's Avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Age
    22
    Posts
    720
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Even underlined text, much honor °///°

  9. #9
    Dream Eater Precursor Mar's Avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Hydra's back
    Age
    20
    Posts
    378
    Gender

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    I admittedly forgot about her bout with Terranort, so I'll give you that one. Though I don't know what that's worth compared to Sora beating Xemnas like 3 times.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkosOverlord View Post
    Sora plunged himself into the Darkness, risked to become a Xehanort vessel and "forced" Riku to brave the Darkness to save him (which Yen Sid himself acknowledged played a big part in making him a Master), Aqua was in the Darkness for 11 years and is still "sane".
    Aqua and Riku overcame the corruption of Darkness, Terra and Sora didn't.
    I don't think there should be any doubt to who has the strongest heart in that regard. Which in no shape or form has ever been translated into "to become a Master you must be able to Keyblade good".
    Can you even fault Sora for that? Not even Yen Sid knew what was going on until it was too late, and the only reason it wasn't Riku was because he was immune from already being possessed in the past, not because he was perceptive or experienced enough to realize what was happening.

    Aqua hasn't overcome anything. She's literally been waiting over a decade to be saved by Sora. She would've fallen into darkness in 0.2 if Mickey hadn't come to her.
    Not that it matters since going through that wasn't what made her into a master. All she did was ​hit some balls. How does that and X amount of years of training equate to having a strong heart?

  10. #10
    Spockpad Forever Launchpad's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Location
    at my house
    Age
    21
    Posts
    2,361
    Gender
    Playing
    DOOM

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    The series has done kind of a poor job at explaining why being a master is important or good at all. Sora picks up the Keyblade and saves the worlds with 0 training in KH1, and we haven't really been shown the difference between his strength in KH1 vs Master Aqua's strength in BBS-- KH1 Sora has abilities that Aqua and company CAN'T do!

  11. #11
    misguided master Muke's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    4,593
    Gender

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Being a master is really just a formality.


    Quote Originally Posted by Percursor Mar
    Aqua hasn't overcome anything. She's literally been waiting over a decade to be saved by Sora. She would've fallen into darkness in 0.2 if Mickey hadn't come to her. Not that it matters since going through that wasn't what made her into a master. All she did was hit some balls. How does that and X amount of years of training equate to having a strong heart?
    Not necessarily hitting balls and X amount of years of training, but we do see how strong her heart really is.
    She is the embodiment of sacrificing oneself to save another. She is selfless - she's been in the RoD for over a decade and gave up the chance to finally get out of there just to protect someone else.

    She is determined to fight on, no matter how long it will take. She has a very strong will and will keep on fighting for the Realm of Light, as she knows the battle isn't over. She isn't afraid of the darkness.
    She did overcome something as of 0.2 - her fear of the darkness.
    If that's not a strong heart, I don't know what is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Launchpad View Post
    The series has done kind of a poor job at explaining why being a master is important or good at all. Sora picks up the Keyblade and saves the worlds with 0 training in KH1, and we haven't really been shown the difference between his strength in KH1 vs Master Aqua's strength in BBS-- KH1 Sora has abilities that Aqua and company CAN'T do!
    Well, TAV also have some abilities and techniques that Sora doesn't have, but I feel like that's beside the point, since it's all just gameplay - except if you mean things like what Sora did for Ven? Anybody could do that, too.

  12. #12
    What Have You Done? Chuman's Avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2008
    Age
    18
    Posts
    12,227
    Gender

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    sora is an ordinary kid with no formal training who has had his power stripped away time after time. despite this, he defeated xehanort twice, took down organization xiii almost singlehandedly, and defeated a juiced up lingering will- who was definitely more powerful than xehanort. though much of this is due to his strong heart and connection to his friends, and this series is basically like star wars in that none of this will matter if plot dictates otherwise

    also @muke, sora literally killed himself to save kairi and seal the keyhole, cant get anymore sacrificial than that.

  13. #13
    Keyblade Master DarkosOverlord's Avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Age
    22
    Posts
    720
    Gender
    Playing
    None

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor Mar View Post
    Can you even fault Sora for that? Not even Yen Sid knew what was going on until it was too late, and the only reason it wasn't Riku was because he was immune from already being possessed in the past, not because he was perceptive or experienced enough to realize what was happening.

    Aqua hasn't overcome anything. She's literally been waiting over a decade to be saved by Sora. She would've fallen into darkness in 0.2 if Mickey hadn't come to her.
    Not that it matters since going through that wasn't what made her into a master. All she did was ​hit some balls. How does that and X amount of years of training equate to having a strong heart?
    I'm not faulting Sora, if Xehanort wants you to fall into his trap you have little choice: but of course I won't praise him or giving him any merit.

    Aqua has overcome the corruption of Darkness: we don't know how much dense is the Darkness in space, but I don't think it can be greater than the one in the RoD: therefore, Aqua's heart is stronger than even Master Xehanort's in that regard.
    I'm not saying she was perfectly fine, but, aside from the fact that to me since Mickey's appearance 0.2 becomes rather... silly, I think we can concede her a little mental breakdown. But she still was able to fight, think, feel, even remember and we knwo from Ansem the Wise how hard is that (kinda)

    I sure wish we had some insight on what exactly Terra Aqua and Ventus did in those years of training, and not just to completely satisfy your question.
    Would've helped big time to clarify: what have they learned aside from fighting techniques; in which way was Aqua better than Terra, what did she learn that Terra didn't and so on.
    Without that, I can only assume that she did learn how to... repel the Darkness (again: why did Terra fail to do that though).
    But I do hate assuming.

    I won't even try to deny the balls were pretty dumb. We already had the tutorial, they definitely could've done more there.

  14. #14
    misguided master Muke's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    4,593
    Gender

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuman View Post
    also @muke, sora literally killed himself to save kairi and seal the keyhole, cant get anymore sacrificial than that.
    Okay, what's your point? I just told Mar why Aqua's heart is strong, nowhere did I say it is stronger than Sora's, or that Sora doesn't have a strong heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkosOverlord View Post
    Aqua has overcome the corruption of Darkness: we don't know how much dense is the Darkness in space, but I don't think it can be greater than the one in the RoD: therefore, Aqua's heart is stronger than even Master Xehanort's in that regard.
    I'm not saying she was perfectly fine, but, aside from the fact that to me since Mickey's appearance 0.2 becomes rather... silly, I think we can concede her a little mental breakdown. But she still was able to fight, think, feel, even remember and we knwo from Ansem the Wise how hard is that (kinda)

    I sure wish we had some insight on what exactly Terra Aqua and Ventus did in those years of training, and not just to completely satisfy your question.
    Would've helped big time to clarify: what have they learned aside from fighting techniques; in which way was Aqua better than Terra, what did she learn that Terra didn't and so on.
    Without that, I can only assume that she did learn how to... repel the Darkness (again: why did Terra fail to do that though).
    But I do hate assuming.

    I won't even try to deny the balls were pretty dumb. We already had the tutorial, they definitely could've done more there.
    Agreed

  15. #15
    Spockpad Forever Launchpad's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Location
    at my house
    Age
    21
    Posts
    2,361
    Gender
    Playing
    DOOM

    Default Re: Answers to misconceptions about the Mark of Mastery and becoming a Keyblade Master

    We've just been given no reason to care about Mastery. There is nothing distinct about it. It's a very insignificant thing.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •