Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Heartless
    Registered
    Feb 2015
    Playing
    None

Default Is Quinton Flynn Right Wing/conservative

I've known of Quinton Flynn since I was a child and admired him for his voicework in games. I've followed him on twitter and noticed he's followed certain individuals such as Ben Shapiro(who's said vile things like arabs like to bomb stuff and live in sewage) and other people like tucker carlson, roseanne, an who have MAGA as their hashtag and something called positive trumper zone and Matt Walsh. I saw him like and encourage a video of jordan peterson on pay gap along with some tirade about a singer called morrisey as shown here:

https://twitter.com/quintonflynn/sta...12518880382976

I know he has the right to follow what he wants and believe what he wants but I'd be lying if this wasn't concerning for me seeing as how the right can be and I am a leftist/POC. I was wondering, does it look like he is right wing/conservative?

Registered
    Mar 2018
    NieR: Automata

Default Re: Is Quinton Flynn Right Wing/conservative

The art of separating the art from the artist is truly a marvelous thing.

I am going to just say that it doesn't matter. Not at all.

Just because Flynn was expressing some Right-winged opinions does not mean he is a conservative.
    If he is a conservative, that does not mean he is an extremist.

You have every right to disagree with something he says, but please don't reduce a political wing to nothing but it's radicalists or stereotypes. That's one of the least progressive things anybody can do.

And tbh, asking if someone is a conservative is no better than somebody asking if somebody is a liberal.

Registered
    Sep 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Meow Wow View Post
    The art of separating the art from the artist is truly a marvelous thing.

I am going to just say that it doesn't matter. Not at all.

Just because Flynn was expressing some Right-winged opinions does not mean he is a conservative.
    If he is a conservative, that does not mean he is an extremist.

You have every right to disagree with something he says, but please don't reduce a political wing to nothing but it's radicalists or stereotypes. That's one of the least progressive things anybody can do.

And tbh, asking if someone is a conservative is no better than somebody asking if somebody is a liberal.

Awesome approach to this subject! Good stuff!

Registered
    Nov 2012
    None

Ben Shapiro is a monster, so, yes, I'd say Flynn's fringe rightwing (which is a different thing entirely from being a conservative). Whether that makes you less likely to support the series is up to you to decide. Thankfully he's just a voice actor with little to no input in the direction of the series.

Heartless
    Registered
    Feb 2015
    Playing
    None

Yes but people like Shapiro spew racist nonsense along with Peterson, who is also sexist. Not to mention many trump supporters are ok with trump's racism. Does following shapiro really mean he agrees with everything he says?

How can you seperate an artist out of their art?

Registered
    Jul 2010
    None

Following someone on Twitter doesn't mean you necessarily agree with most or all of their views, although I think it's safe to say that if you follow that many outspoken extremist right-wingers there's a high possibility you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas yomi View Post
    I'd say it depends on who it is and more importantly what their role is.

Flynn's just a voice actor, so his input on the art you're consuming is minimal. There's always going to be people with terrible views working on large projects. Does it change my perception of Axel? No, not really. Axel as a character has nothing to do with Flynn other than the latter giving him a voice in one language.

Koichi Sugiyama, composer for the Dragon Quest games, denies all Japanese war crimes and spends his time and money on participating in organisations whose goal is to revise history books. He also thinks people who buy the Dragon Quest games have no right to enjoy his compositions with a real orchestra, which is why even the upcoming Dragon Quest XI has a MIDI soundtrack. He wants you to pour money directly into his pocket by buying his orchestral arrangement CD's and/or go see him in concert. I'll gladly support the games, but I refuse to buy his CD's. Brilliant composer, but a sad excuse for a human being.

However, if it's a small team and one or more of the people working on a game turn out to be bigots, and especially if the colleagues don't denounce them, then yeah I'll boycott their game. I would consider doing the same for a bigger project if the person in charge of it is a bigot. For the same reason Roseanne had to be cancelled (although they should have seen that one coming and never revived the show in the first place as she's a well known racist and conspiracy nut).

Heartless
    Registered
    Feb 2015
    Playing
    None

I mean, does it seem like he follows many outspoken right wingers?

Registered
    Apr 2012

Who someone follows on Twitter shouldn't completely shape what you think of them. And as Meow Wow stated, separating the artist from the 'art', even if it is just one character in a game with a cast of 100+, can do you wonders.

And as someone who has met Quinton and had a 5 to 10 minute conversation with the dude I can atleast confirm he is a great guy from my experience. Granted, not much time, but a solid impression.

Heartless
    Registered
    Feb 2015
    Playing
    None

Following Shapiro and endorsing Jordan Peterson is concerning considering the awful things they have said

Registered
    Mar 2018
    NieR: Automata

We don't know his intentions or actual beliefs though. For all we know he may not even like somebody like Ben Shapiro and could be following him for a satire reason. We don't know.

To me, the argument presented in this thread does not have enough clear evidence suggesting that Flynn leans right winged. It is not clear enough. One or two actions does not mean anything with this case.
    Last edited by Meow Wow; July 5, 2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Registered
    Nov 2012
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Sdog View Post
    Who someone follows on Twitter shouldn't completely shape what you think of them. And as Meow Wow stated, separating the artist from the 'art', even if it is just one character in a game with a cast of 100+, can do you wonders.
    The way you react to art shouldn't have anything to do with the artist. The money you spend on the art, however, can't be separated from the artist. I can understand the reason people have caution when they purchase things.

Registered
    Jul 2010
    None

He can't be worse than James Woods though. I wish Disney would go with a sound-a-like instead of him for Hades.

Larxeneboi and proud to be DarkosOverlord's Avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2016
    Officially away from KH III spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas yomi View Post
    It depends on you, really. On you and your own personal code.
    Some people can do that quite right (like me, I often have little problems doing that), some just can't, and most will be able to do it only with certain artists and certain people.
    I just said I have no problem separating art from artist, but I won't deny at times it was difficult, because I had a deeper emotional investment with the guy.

To just make a few examples, James Woods hurt me little. I saw few of his movies outside of his role of Hades and my perception of him is "big shot actor from Hollywood".
    But when I learned the stuff behind Channel Awesome and The Nerdist, well... that was harder to swallow. I kinda don't feel like watching Nostalgia Critic anymore because I can't even focus on his videos without thinking about it. I mean I can if I want, but... it has been a constant presence in the back of my mind for years. It can't NOT leave a mark.

And I know this proves true for many other people, who will put Tarantino on trial but grew up with Woody Allen and they can't just bring themselves not to re-watch some of his movies.
    Some call this hypocrisy, others say these people are weak-willed... my only advice is: do what you feel like you can do, and don't impose your own judgement on others. Each of us has their own struggles and their weight varies greatly.
    You don't know what's going on in another person's life. What if laughing at or finding solace in a desplicable person's creation is one of the few pleasures they got left. I don't feel like it's my right to take that away from them.

Heartless
    Registered
    Feb 2015
    Playing
    None

Shapiro and Peterson raise some eyebrows...

Registered
    Jan 2014
    KINGDOM HEARTS I.5 + II.5 ReMix

All these reknowned Right Wing figures from Twitter, some of them, were once respectable people that actually made a very good representation of what being a Conservative is. And necessary in this day and age, seeing as how Millennials typically lean towards Liberalism. Nowadays, people like Shapiro, some of the heads of Turning Point and such, have become more Trumpists than Conservatives, and are all about "owning the Libs". These people in no way represent want Conservatism is, or to be more specific, economical conservatism. And this is coming from a Libertarian, that could care two diddlys about either Left and Right ideologies.

That aside, who Quinton Flynn follows on Twitter shouldn't be any telling of his character, or more specifically, political character. I follow people from various ideologies, yet, I am a Libertarian. I even follow President Trump. Do I approve of his inhumane verb? No. I follow him for the sake of laughing of his stupidities, or when he actually, and miracolously, FACTUALLY prosecutes the media outlets that are excessively partialized towards attacking him.

And this is the problem with today's day and age: everything is politized. Yes, I understand that everyone should have a political opinion, being everything is being politized. And I don't necessary have a problem with this, but politizing everything leaves an opening for scumbag politicians to further politize an issue and turn it into a weapon, and not into a consensus momentum.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast