• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

About the worlds... (Fun Discussion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

vaderskywalker

Awards
I just realized why the worlds in most Kingdom Hearts games feel like filler, and there are two problems with this, problem 1 is they've been revealing the villains (to Sora and the others) too early in the games, for example they did it right with KH1, only revealing The Disney Villain Council over the course of the game, and then Xehanort stole the show at the very end, that was the perfect way to do it, but every game since then have been revealing the villains (Again, to Sora and the others) too early , KH3 unfortunately couldn't be helped because they revealed the villains a whole game too early, problem 2, is that they don't give Sora and the others an objective for the worlds, for example, Sora, Donald, and Goofy where searching for Mickey, Riku, and Kairi, and the Keyholes in KH1, but KH4 is a clean slate, they could take their time revealing the foretellers over the course of the game, instead of revealing them all at once at the beginning of the game especially since literally no one knows about them (the audience doesn't count), as for an objective, they could say something needs to be found in one of the worlds, maybe The Black Box, and yes, I think the power of waking was a terrible excuse, (they didn't even put any effort into that one) but I digress, what are your thoughts?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
There was an interview between I believe GameInformer and Nomura where it seemed like the way worlds are presented in KH4 will be done differently than previously done in the series.

Quadratum is the home base and what it seemed like to me is you might be bouncing around between the worlds as the story progresses i.e. you won't see a world through to completion before moving on like previous games had. During God of War: Ragnarock, this technique for story telling was employed and I was thinking about KH4 being done similar to that. In that game, you had your home base and then you went out into one of the 9 realms before heading back, and sometimes progress in a realm ended until you progressed in another realm. I wondered if maybe this is similar to what Nomura was thinking of doing with KH4.

If this is similar to what Nomura was thinking of doing, then I do hope that the villain reveals are a bit more paced out and things happen in a more organic way than all of the Foretellers appearing in front of Sora a couple of hours in and then you just bounced between seeing them in various worlds.

I'm hoping that a new way to explore the worlds stemming from a home base might allow for the story to take a more mysterious avenue and keep Sora in the dark and learn information as it goes as opposed to having an information dump at the top of the game and then you meander around until it's time for the end. And bouncing between the worlds might help with the objectives of the worlds feeling more substantial. You have a blockage in one world that you can't get past so you need to leave, regroup, and explore another world to learn new techniques, abilities, or something else in the story in order to pass through, giving both worlds and objectives more relevance for Sora's journey.

Who knows if this is what'll happen though, or if KH4 will reinvent itself or just follow through with what the series has done for the last 15+ years. I'm keen to see what Nomura and the Osaka team have cooked up though.

vaderskywalker

Awards
There was an interview between I believe GameInformer and Nomura where it seemed like the way worlds are presented in KH4 will be done differently than previously done in the series.

Quadratum is the home base and what it seemed like to me is you might be bouncing around between the worlds as the story progresses i.e. you won't see a world through to completion before moving on like previous games had. During God of War: Ragnarock, this technique for story telling was employed and I was thinking about KH4 being done similar to that. In that game, you had your home base and then you went out into one of the 9 realms before heading back, and sometimes progress in a realm ended until you progressed in another realm. I wondered if maybe this is similar to what Nomura was thinking of doing with KH4.

If this is similar to what Nomura was thinking of doing, then I do hope that the villain reveals are a bit more paced out and things happen in a more organic way than all of the Foretellers appearing in front of Sora a couple of hours in and then you just bounced between seeing them in various worlds.

I'm hoping that a new way to explore the worlds stemming from a home base might allow for the story to take a more mysterious avenue and keep Sora in the dark and learn information as it goes as opposed to having an information dump at the top of the game and then you meander around until it's time for the end. And bouncing between the worlds might help with the objectives of the worlds feeling more substantial. You have a blockage in one world that you can't get past so you need to leave, regroup, and explore another world to learn new techniques, abilities, or something else in the story in order to pass through, giving both worlds and objectives more relevance for Sora's journey.

Who knows if this is what'll happen though, or if KH4 will reinvent itself or just follow through with what the series has done for the last 15+ years. I'm keen to see what Nomura and the Osaka team have cooked up though.
I like those ideas, here's hoping things work out that way.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

I know this was posted a while back, but I love this idea Chaser. I hope this is the case as I think it would better balance the gameplay and story. With them planning bigger but not as many worlds, it may be better to break them up into smaller chunks like this.

I’d also mentioned at one point how it would be cool if world travel in Unreality could work something like Ragnarok with the Yggdrasil portals allowing travel between realms. With all the Norse references lately, I would not be surprised if Nomura creates his own spin on Yggdrasil. But I could see it being something more visually akin to the World Between Worlds in Star Wars. With the PS5 SSD and UE5, it would be awesome if you could basically walk straight from Quadratum, down a short pathway through a world nexus, and then straight into another world without any loading screens.

Back