Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
    Registered
    Mar 2018
    GoW4

Default A little something about a few of the dream eaters names

There is something funny about the names of Necho Cat, Komory Bat, Kooma Panda, and Ryu dragon.

In Japanese, Necho(neko) means cat, Komory(komori) means bat, kooma(kuma) means bear, and Ryu means dragon. Making all their names Cat Cat, Bat Bat, Bear Panda, and Dragon Dragon.

I don't know how many of you already know this but it is something that flew by me until one of my friends pointed that out.

KHI Site Staff Oracle Spockanort's Avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Default Re: A little something about a few of the dream eaters names

Quote Originally Posted by Meow Wow View Post
    There is something funny about the names of Necho Cat, Komory Bat, Kooma Panda, and Ryu dragon.

In Japanese, Necho(neko) means cat, Komory(komori) means bat, kooma(kuma) means bear, and Ryu means dragon. Making all their names Cat Cat, Bat Bat, Bear Panda, and Dragon Dragon.

I don't know how many of you already know this but it is something that flew by me until one of my friends pointed that out.
    Yep! That was the joke we all kept making when 3D first released back in 2012.

My favorite is Meow Wow and ワンダニャン because they are just the sounds cats and dogs make lol

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Final Fantasy XV (Pauper Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Spockanort View Post
    My favorite is Meow Wow and ワンダニャン because they are just the sounds cats and dogs make lol
    "Wanda" seems like such an abnormal sound effect for a dog, because I'm assuming the "nyan" is for the cat. xD

Poutymer in da house Sephiroth0812's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2010
    Dissidia NT, KH 2.5 HD Birth by Sleep FM

Quote Originally Posted by Rydgea View Post
    "Wanda" seems like such an abnormal sound effect for a dog, because I'm assuming the "nyan" is for the cat. xD
    "Wanda" sounds to me more like the Japanese version of "Wonder" which would explain the German translation "Wundermieze" which means "Wonder Kitty" or "Wonder meow" in English.

Registered
    Mar 2018
    GoW4

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth0812 View Post
    "Wanda" sounds to me more like the Japanese version of "Wonder" which would explain the German translation "Wundermieze" which means "Wonder Kitty" or "Wonder meow" in English.
    Thats what I was told

I was litterally told "that says Wonder Meow"

Warrior of Sunlight DarkGrey Heroine's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2015
    Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

I always loved the names for this stuff going on with them xD quality level Moon Moon
    Their descriptions were also beautiful in many cases, like Drill Sye's:
    Once upon a time, there was powerful rhino that could transform into a ball of spikes but hated magic... Well, you probably know where this is going.
    or Electricorn's
    Do electric unicorns dream of androids? More importantly, can you stop this thunderslinger before it's done gathering juice?
    Do electric unicorns dream of androids?

She Shoots for the Stars maryadavies's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2014
    FFXIV, FF9, Animal Crossing New Leaf, KH Unchained X US

LOL. Wow I wasn't aware, but I think my usual thing about translations sums it up:

"Translation from Japanese to any other non-oriental language is a art, not a science."

Also I understand dog barking in Japanese is "wan-wan" so "Wanda" is kinda close, lol. (The things I learn from watching lots of subtitled anime..)

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Final Fantasy XV (Pauper Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth0812 View Post
    I derived "wonder" from the phonetics of the sound and because the Wondernyan name is nothing new to us.

The name is written in katakana (as are a lot of names and borrowed words), so I'm assuming it does mean wonder, but I thought Spockanort meant that it was a play on the sound a dog/cat makes as well, which just seems odd or extremely circumstantial unless she's only referring to the "nyan" part.

Quote Originally Posted by maryadavies View Post
    LOL. Wow I wasn't aware, but I think my usual thing about translations sums it up:

"Translation from Japanese to any other non-oriental language is a art, not a science."

Also I understand dog barking in Japanese is "wan-wan" so "Wanda" is kinda close, lol. (The things I learn from watching lots of subtitled anime..)
    Thanks for this!
    Last edited by Rydgea; April 17, 2018 at 06:32 PM.