Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered
    Sep 2015
    XENOBLADE CHRONICLES, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, PROJECT X ZONE 2

Default Disney to end Netflix partnership and create their own streaming service.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disn...-services.html

This was inevitable. Disney have decided to create their own streaming service for their television programs and feature films. This has garnered mixed response, and with justification too. People can only invest so much in subscription services. But before people vent their frustrations into this, let's really look at the portfolio of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.

These are the brands that are currently active
    Walt Disney Pictures: Their signature brand for live action. Disney Animation and Pixar are also under this banner too.
    Walt Disney Animation Studios: Their flagship animation studio.
    DisneyToon Studios: Used to be their sequel studio before turning into a budget studio.
    Pixar: Disney's subsidiary animation studio.
    Marvel: Disney's subsidiary superhero feature film studio.
    Lucasfilm: Disney's subsidiary live action studio.

These are the brands that are no longer active
    Touchstone Pictures: Used to be a label for adult movies that didn't really fit in the "Disney" brand, how it's the label used for partnership productions with other studios.
    Hollywood Pictures: Used to be another label for adult movies that didn't really fit in the "Disney" brand. It became dissolved because they had more valuable brands to focus on.

And that's just in the feature film category. Let's look at what they have to offer within their television services.

These are the brands for television productions
    Disney Television Animation: The flagship division for Disney cartoons.
    ABC Studios: The Disney-ABC division responsible for a lot of content on ABC. Once Upon A Time, the Marvel Television franchises (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Agent Carter, Cloak and Dagger, Inhumans series etc.)
    Marvel Television: The Marvel Television division to Marvel Entertainment. They help with the development of Marvel television series and Marvel animated series.
    Marvel Animation: The flagship division for Marvel Entertainments cartoon animation.
    Lucasfilm Animation: The flagship division for Lucasfilm cartoon animation.

Personally, I'm not at all concerned about the quality nor quantity of content. I'm more concerned about the price point. They need to be more cost effective than Netflix to even have a margin of chance of survival.

She Shoots for the Stars maryadavies's Avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2014
    FFXIV, FF9, Animal Crossing New Leaf, KH Unchained X US

Default Re: Disney to end Netflix partnership and create their own streaming service.

I agree Alpha. As it is, I may end up buying a few more phys copies of their newer movies since well..I never trusted streaming/digital copies for too long. Not after Disney actually blocked the digital copies of their Christmas movies during Christmas one year from playing. (They wanted folks to watch the Disney Channel. Ugh..) (Moana comes to mind b/c sis likes that one..)

Neko has already said he can't pay for more than one streaming service.

Registered
    Jun 2015
    definitely no school anymore, yo

Default Re: Disney to end Netflix partnership and create their own streaming service.

Weeell, goodbye disney movies, then. I won't get both and I'm not cancelling netflix either.

Registered
    Sep 2015

Quote Originally Posted by VoidGear. View Post
    Weeell, goodbye disney movies, then. I won't get both and I'm not cancelling netflix either.
    Disney feature films are still going to be theatrically released, and you can still buy physical Blu Ray copies if you want to. It's just the digital means of watching said movie that will change.

Registered
    Dec 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Baymax View Post
    Disney feature films are still going to be theatrically released, and you can still buy physical Blu Ray copies if you want to. It's just the digital means of watching said movie that will change.
    If someone can't afford two streaming services they aren't going to buy the physical copies of the movies either.

Registered
    Nov 2014

Not always redcrown. We have a good library nearby; with newer stuff, I may make sure they get in the newer Disney movies from now on so I can borrow it and pop it in my PS3 to play it.

But I can see someone who can't rent or borrow dvds and can't afford two streaming services not buying the DVDs. What's the point, when you don't know if you want to watch that movie more than once? Barring that, there may be a lot of disney trade ins on Amazon when people didn't like that...

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Piano

Not really a fan of the move but we'll see what happens. Disney does have their DMA Service so maybe they will expand that service to add a monthly subscription.

Registered
    Sep 2008

Part of me thinks this is their way to finally get ESPN off of cable.

Registered
    Sep 2015

Quote Originally Posted by maryadavies View Post
    Not always redcrown. We have a good library nearby; with newer stuff, I may make sure they get in the newer Disney movies from now on so I can borrow it and pop it in my PS3 to play it.

But I can see someone who can't rent or borrow dvds and can't afford two streaming services not buying the DVDs. What's the point, when you don't know if you want to watch that movie more than once? Barring that, there may be a lot of disney trade ins on Amazon when people didn't like that...
    I personally feel that Disney movies have the best replay value for feature film. The animated movies are a part of history, and the current Marvel Studios slate is equally historic in its own right. If any movie studio has longevity with their feature films, it's Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel View Post
    Part of me thinks this is their way to finally get ESPN off of cable.
    Ironically enough, ESPN has a completely independent service from this.

I walked the Road to Dawn Howler's Avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2016
    My clarinet in Marching Band practice

I have to agree with Void. I just got Netflix back and I'm not getting another service. Netflix isn't going away for me. It is a shame because some of those movies on Netflix my family loves watching are ones we don't own on DVD, and those certain movies gone means now we'll just have to buy those movies separately. Thanks Disney.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Trails in the Sky FC, Tales of Zestiria, Pokemon Glazed, Remember Me

Registered
    Jun 2015
    definitely no school anymore, yo

I mean it's not like I'll never watch a disney movie again, but having a dvd/bluray/whatever and watching outside on a phone or tablet are still two entirely different things.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Playing
    Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age

Oh well, I ain't paying for that shit.
    Love you Disney, but hell naw.

Registered
    Nov 2014

I remembered seeing this news but it took me a while to find it again:

Netflix discussing keeping Star Wars and Marvel

Seems they only want to pull Disney and Pixar movies off the service. Well, that helps my DVD/Blu-Ray budget at least. Tho yeah, I'll keep my policy about this stuff..if I really like something, I'll buy it. ^^

[Edit] Also in a way this has already begun. I'm on Uverse. The Uverse app that I have on my Fire stick lets you stream stuff, including live tv. Guess what doesn't have Disney XD and the Disney Channel? Yep. To watch the new Ducktales, I had to install a separate app onto my Fire stick. Ugh..At least this time it's free. It's going to be worse with the new streaming service year after next. No thanks Disney.
    Last edited by maryadavies; August 12, 2017 at 11:10 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2015

Quote Originally Posted by maryadavies View Post
    I remembered seeing this news but it took me a while to find it again:

Netflix discussing keeping Star Wars and Marvel

Seems they only want to pull Disney and Pixar movies off the service. Well, that helps my DVD/Blu-Ray budget at least. Tho yeah, I'll keep my policy about this stuff..if I really like something, I'll buy it. ^^

[Edit] Also in a way this has already begun. I'm on Uverse. The Uverse app that I have on my Fire stick lets you stream stuff, including live tv. Guess what doesn't have Disney XD and the Disney Channel? Yep. To watch the new Ducktales, I had to install a separate app onto my Fire stick. Ugh..At least this time it's free. It's going to be worse with the new streaming service year after next. No thanks Disney.
    This may sound elitist of me, but I'd rather have the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Star Wars movies be on the Disney streaming service. What's the point of creating this Disney streaming services if the Marvel and Lucasfilm properties are going to be available on Netflix and Amazon Prime? I wanted to consider investing into this service because of the breath of motion pictures that Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures own, this segregation of separating Marvel and Star Wars from the rest of the Disney portfolio is going more harm than good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast