Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    A Member of the House of El Swoosh's Avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Assassin`s Creed: Black Flag

Default A new character as the 13th SOD

Title says it all. Since we will be meeting the 13th SOD in kh3 do you guys think he or she should be a new character, or a character we have seen in the previous seven games? This is assuming that none of the six hooded figures are new characters
    Last edited by Swoosh; June 26, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    None

Default Re: an orignal character as the 13th SOD

I am hoping it is a character new to the series.
    May be a stretch, but Noctis could be...

Registered
    Jun 2013
    None

Noctis LOL now that would be a twist

Registered
    Jun 2013
    War Thunder, KH2, Planetside 2

What about Yen sid ;p LOL

Registered
    Mar 2013
    too much Salty Bet

Well, the 13th SoD would have to be very important considering its significance. I'm hoping it will be a recurring character just because it would have more depth compared to someone new.

Registered
    Oct 2006
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I doubt its a brand new character. Nomura wants to keep us guessing as to who the Guardians and Seekers are. If all the Guardians are familiar characters, throwing in a brand new character who we won't have to time to fully care about (lack of character development since he'll only be in this one game) wouldn't be a great idea.

If anything, I think Vanitas will be the 13th Seeker, since Xehanort would have to steal the "Key to Return Hearts" to revive him which is exactly the type of thing he'd do.

Commodore SephiMog Sephiroth0812's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2010
    Dynasty Warriors 8 xl, Republic at war

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm View Post
    I doubt its a brand new character. Nomura wants to keep us guessing as to who the Guardians and Seekers are. If all the Guardians are familiar characters, throwing in a brand new character who we won't have to time to fully care about (lack of character development since he'll only be in this one game) wouldn't be a great idea.

If anything, I think Vanitas will be the 13th Seeker, since Xehanort would have to steal the "Key to Return Hearts" to revive him which is exactly the type of thing he'd do.
    That's exactly also my main concern. A brand new character would be very counterproductive right now, even without counting in the obvious reasons of there being familiar characters already who are vastly underdeveloped (hello there, Kairi!) or only half-developed, which practically boils down to everyone who is not named Sora, Riku, Axel/Lea or Xehanort.

That would require to always assume that Vanitas isn't already one of other six still unknown members fetched through time-travel OR Xehanort already having been in possession of his heart (which due to golden eyes is almost guaranteed to have a Xehanort-shard).

Registered
    Jan 2013

Default Re: A new character as the 13th SOD

I'm sure if the final member is a new character they could develop him without stealing focus from other characters that need development

Registered
    Oct 2006
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh View Post
    I'm sure if the final member is a new character they could develop him without stealing focus from other characters that need development
    But the point remains that introducing a completely brand new character in a game as climactic as KH3 would be very unwise.

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Final Fantasy II

They've introduced new characters in every other installment, and ultimately it's subjective whether you care for them or not. KHIII will no doubt be a vast gaming experience. Introducing new characters is nothing new and definitely not far-fetched. TAV and Xion have not seen development outside of their respective games, and we care for their futures. I cared for Naminé after just CoM. While I agree, we should focus on underdeveloped characters, I can still see new ones brought into fold.

I was kindof hoping for someone new (in general, not necessarly a SoD) with ties to help bleed into the next saga. The 13th Dark vessel could appropriately do just that, though I have my own speculations who that will be.

While KHIII will secure closure for Xehanort, but it doesn't mean we can't anticipate a decent new character emerging from the finale.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I won't completely throw out the possibility that the 13th member is an all new character if only for shock value but I see it as unlikely. Who ever the thirteenth member is supposed to be their identity is supposed to cause some sort of conflict and it simply wouldn't have as much impact if it's just some person we don't know. Sure he/she/it can be developed throughout KH3 but do we really want a new character thrown at us at the very last minute of the Xehanort Saga? One that's supposed to be fairly important but had no real impact on the story until the end, especially when we have characters, some as old as the series itself, who are supposed to be really important but serve more as plot devices to give Sora something to do?

The time spent developing a new character that was brought in at the last minute, which we might never see again (might), can be spent on the dozen other characters we already have who desperately need it.

Most likely the 13th member will be someone we know.

ι only ѕwιм ғ r e e Master Spockanort's Avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Going to have to agree with the statements already said. While it is possible, it is counterproductive to introduce a completely new character and make them a Darkness when we have other underdeveloped characters in the series. Why shoehorn in a new character into the biggest conflict of the story?

Silver Member OathkeeperRoxas XIII's Avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    KH series, FF Series, Pokemon Series, TOS2

Quote Originally Posted by Master Spockanort View Post
    Going to have to agree with the statements already said. While it is possible, it is counterproductive to introduce a completely new character and make them a Darkness when we have other underdeveloped characters in the series. Why shoehorn in a new character into the biggest conflict of the story?
    I agree. Why turn a new character for the big finale of this arc (KH3) as villin Fodder. Maybe if this character was seen alot to be one fine, but bad choices. It's worse than turning certain characters evil and have them be villain fodder. Some believeable, but others, no.

Commodore SephiMog Sephiroth0812's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2010
    Dynasty Warriors 8 xl, Republic at war

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh View Post
    I'd like to know from which premise you take such confidence in the skill of the scenario writers of the KH series, lol.
    As so far their record and success on handling an already large cast of characters in a satisfying manner is mediocre at best.

We have four good developed characters, the aforementioned Riku, Axel/Lea, Xehanort and Sora (because he isn't supposed to develop much), then a whole bunch of half-developed ones (including TAV, Xemnas, Ansem SoD, Xigbar/Braig, Saix/Isa, Roxas, Naminé, Xion, Ansem the Wise etc.) and last but not least a collection of vastly undeveloped fellows, including but not limited to Kairi, Vanitas, Eraqus, Marluxia, Larxene and Luxord.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydgea View Post
    They've introduced new characters in every other installment, and ultimately it's subjective whether you care for them or not. KHIII will no doubt be a vast gaming experience. Introducing new characters is nothing new and definitely not far-fetched. TAV and Xion have not seen development outside of their respective games, and we care for their futures. I cared for Naminé after just CoM. While I agree, we should focus on underdeveloped characters, I can still see new ones brought into fold.

I was kindof hoping for someone new (in general, not necessarly a SoD) with ties to help bleed into the next saga. The 13th Dark vessel could appropriately do just that, though I have my own speculations who that will be.

While KHIII will secure closure for Xehanort, but it doesn't mean we can't anticipate a decent new character emerging from the finale.
    TAV and Xion were introduced in games specifically centered around them and got their so-far established half-development there with the plot of these games eventually leading to the grand finale.
    KH III is supposed to be that grand finale in which everything is supposed to finally come together. I don't think I need to reiterate all the still open points that are to address, not to even speak of the necessity to include Disney in a way that benefits the whole deal.

In the end it would be just a case of biting off more than you can chew.

As for the next saga, I would actually welcome it if there is nothing pertaining to the next saga outside the obvious secret ending included in KH III.
    The whole focus of the normal ending and the whole plot of KH III ideally should be dedicated to finish and wrap up the story build up so far in such a satisfying manner that even those fans who want to quit after the saga is over can say "that's an ending I can live with".

Quote Originally Posted by Ruran View Post
    I won't completely throw out the possibility that the 13th member is an all new character if only for shock value but I see it as unlikely. Who ever the thirteenth member is supposed to be their identity is supposed to cause some sort of conflict and it simply wouldn't have as much impact if it's just some person we don't know. Sure he/she/it can be developed throughout KH3 but do we really want a new character thrown at us at the very last minute of the Xehanort Saga? One that's supposed to be fairly important but had no real impact on the story until the end, especially when we have characters, some as old as the series itself, who are supposed to be really important but serve more as plot devices to give Sora something to do?

The time spent developing a new character that was brought in at the last minute, which we might never see again (might), can be spent on the dozen other characters we already have who desperately need it.

Most likely the 13th member will be someone we know.
    Full agreement.
    I just noticed that in the last few months I find my own views often to be on the same line as yours. :D

Registered
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rydgea View Post

Thats actually a pretty god idea you have. If the 13th darkness is a new character and does survive the final battle in the keyblade graveyard, he could be a tie in for the next saga. Maybe be the new main villian of the second saga

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast