Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube Follow us on Tumblr
Register

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    ~Living in a dream~ Moonlight Aqua's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Random PS3, PS2 and Wii games... Yup! :3

Default NPCs and empty worlds...

So, I was thinking about this yesterday when I was watching The Lion King and saw the ending fight between Simba and Scar. I then started to think about Kingdom Hearts 2 and remember how dull the Pride Lands and the cutscene between him and Scar fighting. It was so... not like the movie. Not saying that it HAS to be like the movie, but it was missing that thing that shows that this is a serious fight, not just a cutscene. And not just that, but some areas in the game are so empty. There wasn't that many NPCs, only a few in areas like Pride Rock or the Camp where Mulan's world is... and when a scene where an audience is suppose to be cheering or something like that, it's only a sound effect, no characters.

I'm hoping since the next game will possibly be on the PS3 (Please god?) you think that the PS3 is more advanced than the PS2 that there could be more NPCs and make the worlds more lively? I mean I know all the KH games the worlds are always empty and only the main characters are important and the heartless are the things we have to fight, but I wish they will fix that and make it livelier. Like if you go the new world and see the NPCs walking around, but then a heartless comes in and they automatically run to hide somewhere! Just an idea... :3 and also this is IMO! :3

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Moonlight Aqua; April 10, 2013 at 09:06 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Persona 4

Default Re: NPCs and empty worlds...

Yeah the empty worlds has been a complaint for me ever since kh1. Hopefully kh3 has some NPC to interact with. As for the eenemy fights, they could just run away, and come back when the enemies have been defeated

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo? kupo1121's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Kingdom Hearts - Street Fighter x Tekken

I think we can all agree on this site that NPCs have been a recurring problem in the KH series that has stood the test of time. Buildings lacking doors and lack of NPCs are really want made Twilight Town so lonely when, given by the cutscenes, I think it was supposed to be more hustle and bustle. As for the NPC problem, of course the PS3 can handle NPCs, go watch a gameplay video of FFXIII-2 with any of the Academia stories and you'll see just how amazing SE can get with NPCs. Whether or not there will be NPCs in KH3 (if it on the PS3 or PS4 it will be able to have a lot of NPCs, don't worry about that) will be on how much time they're willing to put into having the NPCs on the disc but there is definitely room to have it.

Dream Eater
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    Skyrim, Ratchet and Clank, and MW2

Quote Originally Posted by oathkeeperriku09 View Post
    I think this was a thread a few times already.
    It has been many times lol. I've never really cared that much about their not being that many NPCs because enemies can spawn in just about all areas of the worlds. The Final Fantasy games are one huge world with many different cities and populating the cities, towns, and other small areas feel needed to make the world organic where as a few characters in just a few spots of the KH worlds are enough to make it organic especially since the Heartless, Nobodies, and whatever else are on the loose.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The PS2 could handle a bunch of NPCs too, Square was just being lazy. ( ̄ω ̄;)

Maybe it's because I'm used to it by now but I never missed having NPCs in KH. The lack just doesn't bother me. Since it's been complained about for a long time maybe one day they'll add more but I think the lack maybe more of an aesthetic choice.

~Living in a dream~ Moonlight Aqua's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Random PS3, PS2 and Wii games... Yup! :3

I think this was a thread a few times already.
    Quote Originally Posted by bladewarrior13 View Post
    It has been many times lol. I've never really cared that much about their not being that many NPCs because enemies can spawn in just about all areas of the worlds. The Final Fantasy games are one huge world with many different cities and populating the cities, towns, and other small areas feel needed to make the world organic where as a few characters in just a few spots of the KH worlds are enough to make it organic especially since the Heartless, Nobodies, and whatever else are on the loose.
    I'm sorry! I didn't know that someone has made a thread of this before!

I really don't mind neither, but it's just something I noticed and wondered why. I would like that they do that and make it more lively! :3

Commodore SephiMog Sephiroth0812's Avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2010
    Dynasty Warriors 8 xl, Republic at war

Quote Originally Posted by Ruran View Post
    The PS2 could handle a bunch of NPCs too, Square was just being lazy. ( ̄ω ̄;)

Maybe it's because I'm used to it by now but I never missed having NPCs in KH. The lack just doesn't bother me. Since it's been complained about for a long time maybe one day they'll add more but I think the lack maybe more of an aesthetic choice.
    Gotta have to second this one, as you have to just look at Final Fantasy XII for PS2. Rabanastre or the Imperial City of Archades (which is a Coruscant-wannabe as much as Gabranth is a Darth Vader-wannabe) are filled to the brim with normal citizens.

On this I am on the same boat as well. In KH, the lack of NPCs never bothered me at all. I didn't even notice it until I read people complaining about it on the net.
    Having them would surely be neat, but considering more pressing issues the KH series would need to address NPCs are surely low at least on my priority list.
    They're practically only meanlngless eye candy anyways that doesn't add anything to the story.

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Persona 4

LOL, does anyone remember back in city of bells, when we went to the gypsy hideout and there were no gypsies other than esmeralda? Or when there's was a public execution yet there was no one to watch it? For some reason, the empty worlds in DDD really bothered me more than any of the other games

Silver Member OathkeeperRoxas XIII's Avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    KH series, FF Series, Pokemon Series, TOS2

Quote Originally Posted by swooshbarnes View Post
    LOL, does anyone remember back in city of bells, when we went to the gypsy hideout and there were no gypsies other than esmeralda? Or when there's was a public execution yet there was no one to watch it? For some reason, the empty worlds in DDD really bothered me more than any of the other games
    It's not something to LOL about, but like some of us said, we really don't care. It's the last of our worries, because there are more imprtant things for the series, then the little thing.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Kingdom Hearts RE:Chain of Memories

regarding the scar/Simba fight, I think a lack of fire coupled with the fact that it wasn't really a big thing in the game made it dull. In the movie, it was the climax. It had to be tense and interesting. As for NPCs, an all to common discussion around a problem that is probably gonna take a fair amount of time and effort in the game's development. In KH1, the heartless' presence was a story reason for people not being out and about but they abandoned that quickly, didn't they?

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Persona 4

It's not something to LOL about, but like some of us said, we really don't care. It's the last of our worries, because there are more imprtant things for the series, then the little thing.
    ........why can't I LOL about that?

Registered
    Sep 2009

........why can't I LOL about that?
    Because NPCs are serious biz don't cha know?

But anyway, like ajmrowland said, the general lack of NPCs is because the original reason was that people were hiding from the Heartless. It's a good tactic to reduce work by basically just saying "there are monsters about so everyone's hiding" but I can see how it can be awkward in some places.

Max
    Registered
    May 2007
    Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 (100% Run); Monkey Island 2 Lechuck's Revenge HD

The time it always bothered me the most was in the Olympus Coliseum, in a tournament you would think everybody would come to watch and see who the best is.

I'll only assume the Olympus Coliseum will be in KHIII, and if it is just imagine:

The stands, filled and crowded with cheering people jumping up and down and just freaking out! And if you get to a fight like the Cerberus or Ice Titan fight where you can enter the stands, the people would spread and disperse if you took the fight their direction! It could really be exciting and chaotic in a good way!

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Persona 4

Quote Originally Posted by Max/souleater View Post
    The time it always bothered me the most was in the Olympus Coliseum, in a tournament you would think everybody would come to watch and see who the best is.

I'll only assume the Olympus Coliseum will be in KHIII, and if it is just imagine:

The stands, filled and crowded with cheering people jumping up and down and just freaking out! And if you get to a fight like the Cerberus or Ice Titan fight where you can enter the stands, the people would spread and disperse if you took the fight their direction! It could really be exciting and chaotic in a good way!
    LOL, that's right. Back in kh2 we heard cheering but there was no one there.

Max
    Registered
    May 2007
    Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 (100% Run); Monkey Island 2 Lechuck's Revenge HD

LOL, that's right. Back in kh2 we heard cheering but there was no one there.
    Yeah, I actually would have preferred NO cheering no people than just cheering no people, very awkward

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast