• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

About running... (Fun Discussion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

vaderskywalker

Awards
Does anyone think a sprint button might be a good idea, what are your thoughts?

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
No, I prefer KH3’s approach to automatically have Sora start running faster than to sit there and hold a button that could be used for some other mechanic. Sora already has plenty of traversal abilities in his kit to get around quickly anyways.

vaderskywalker

Awards
No, I prefer KH3’s approach to automatically have Sora start running faster than to sit there and hold a button that could be used for some other mechanic. Sora already has plenty of traversal abilities in his kit to get around quickly anyways.
Yeah, but you don't really get those abilities until like halfway through the game, and it wouldn't really be a "button" so much as pressing down on the left joystick similar to that of FF7 remake, the Avengers game, and Ghost of Tsushima, I mean, that "button" is already pretty useless in the Kingdom Hearts games, the only one that actually does something is the right stick, and all that does is recenter the camera behind you, and maybe that's just me, I just don't see point of it, but someone else could find a use for it, and that's fine it's not for everyone, but as for the sprint button thing, I bring it up because it feels way too fast and unnatural when Sora and Aqua run in KH3 and 0.2 respectively, in comparison to the other KH games, and a solution to that for future games could be a sprint button, but that is also just me, so what do I know?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I absolutely hate trying to push the left analogue stick down when pushing forward so I'd rather it remain like KH0.2 and KH3 where Sora just automatically runs after a couple of seconds.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Sora's running speed is fine, and I don't think sprinting is the best option for mobility anyway. On the other hand, while Air-step was a neat mechanic in 3, I wonder if it's a bit too free to just be able to point at a location and fly to it. It isn't exactly thrilling to instantly snap to an enemy or location when there could be a more skill based way to get around that is satisfying and looks cool.

Enter: the Keychain whip from KH4. Using it to grapple around the environment and pick up speed (mixed with your usual air slides and superglides, and flowmotion) should make getting around quickly more engaging than just sprinting around.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah, but you don't really get those abilities until like halfway through the game, and it wouldn't really be a "button" so much as pressing down on the left joystick similar to that of FF7 remake, the Avengers game, and Ghost of Tsushima, I mean, that "button" is already pretty useless in the Kingdom Hearts games, the only one that actually does something is the right stick, and all that does is recenter the camera behind you, and maybe that's just me, I just don't see point of it, but someone else could find a use for it, and that's fine it's not for everyone, but as for the sprint button thing, I bring it up because it feels way too fast and unnatural when Sora and Aqua run in KH3 and 0.2 respectively, in comparison to the other KH games, and a solution to that for future games could be a sprint button, but that is also just me, so what do I know?

Gaining the abilities as you go gives you a sense of growth which is important in an RPG. Also, just want to note that it wasn’t really clear in your original post if you were suggesting a sprint button to make Sora move even faster than he currently does or to make his base speed slower with the current higher speed being optional. When you start a thread like this, it’s a good idea to give a bit more detail and your own initial opinions on the topic in your OP to kickoff a good discussion.

For me, the sprint button (pressing down on the joystick counts as a button imo) is one of the more annoying things about the games listed (which 2/3 I love overall.) It’s isn’t gamebreaking. Just tedious. Especially when you can’t sprint in certain areas so you have to keep trying the button until it works again. It also isn’t super friendly for those who may have accessibility needs.

The only time I really think it is ok is when stamina is a key component of gameplay balance like Souls games or BotW/TotK. But even then it is cumbersome and I wish you didn’t need to use it for running outside of enemy encounters.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Sora's running speed is fine, and I don't think sprinting is the best option for mobility anyway.
it already feels like Sora's sprinting in KH3, it makes running in BBS, KH1, RE:COM, and 2, look like a light jog.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Gaining the abilities as you go gives you a sense of growth which is important in an RPG. Also, just want to note that it wasn’t really clear in your original post if you were suggesting a sprint button to make Sora move even faster than he currently does or to make his base speed slower with the current higher speed being optional. When you start a thread like this, it’s a good idea to give a bit more detail and your own initial opinions on the topic in your OP to kickoff a good discussion.

For me, the sprint button (pressing down on the joystick counts as a button imo) is one of the more annoying things about the games listed (which 2/3 I love overall.) It’s isn’t gamebreaking. Just tedious. Especially when you can’t sprint in certain areas so you have to keep trying the button until it works again. It also isn’t super friendly for those who may have accessibility needs.

The only time I really think it is ok is when stamina is a key component of gameplay balance like Souls games or BotW/TotK. But even then it is cumbersome and I wish you didn’t need to use it for running outside of enemy encounters.
Yeah, I just meant give him the same speed that he has in KH1, RE:COM, and KH2, like I said his speed feels very unnatural in KH3, like someone spiked his coffee or something.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah, I just meant give him the same speed that he has in KH1, RE:COM, and KH2, like I said his speed feels very unnatural in KH3, like someone spiked his coffee or something.
Do you think it is the speed itself or the animation of it that feels unnatural? I have heard the latter and it does make it seem like he’s weightless. If so, I think a more appropriate fix would be to adjust the animation.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Do you think it is the speed itself or the animation of it that feels unnatural? I have heard the latter and it does make it seem like he’s weightless. If so, I think a more appropriate fix would be to adjust the animation.
Both really, and yeah, that would make sense to adjust it.

Back